Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2011, 07:16 PM   #141
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Kirby View Post
Heres an update....coming out of El Paso on I-10 the speed limit is now posted at 80 MPH for cars, and 70 MPH for trucks.
Nothing new about that. Those have been the speed limits on sections of I-10 and I-20 in far West Texas for years. The news is the authorization passed and signed into law this year to raise the 80 MPH speed limit to 85 MPH IF TxDOT studies justify such a change as being acceptably safe.

Ever since the 80 MPH speed limit took effect, it has been fairly rigorously enforced.

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2011, 08:54 PM   #142

Don't start hammering at 85 just yet. The law does not take effect until DOT has changed the signage, and the decision of where is theirs.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:01 PM   #143

Monaco Owners Club
To those who travel at high speeds wether it be car truck or RV, have you ever considered how long it would take to stop if something pulled out in front of you or a piece of debris landed on the road in front of you. In a car you might pull it off but in a M/H or pulling a trailer it will be quite different. Just sayin, not judgin!
Old 09-09-2011, 11:32 PM   #144

I have often wondered if it would be better to floor it and get thru the offensive object.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:12 PM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I have often wondered if it would be better to floor it and get thru the offensive object.
Nope, been there-done that. A highway sawhorse fell off a state highway truck as it exited the highway; I decided to just run over it rather than swerve at 55 MPH. The sawhorse tore out the grille, radiator, and fan of the car. The flashing light and battery pack came through the windshield. OOPS_ my bad --- decision.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:14 PM   #146

Thx, I'll put that in my memory bank.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:39 PM   #147

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Nope, been there-done that. A highway sawhorse fell off a state highway truck as it exited the highway; I decided to just run over it rather than swerve at 55 MPH. The sawhorse tore out the grille, radiator, and fan of the car. The flashing light and battery pack came through the windshield. OOPS_ my bad --- decision.
A swerve could had flipped the car... who knows.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:26 PM   #148

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I had a bad experiance once in a loaded truck and had a car pull out of a driveway on to the highway in front of me. I was going too fast!! I never crashed and didn't hit the guy, and there was no skill involved just good old luck!! After that I allways ask myself can you stop fast at this speed, and I beleive it has saved my butt more than once. I have had a couple speeding tickets over the years so no I'm not perfect. Sorry if this veered off topic.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:51 PM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunner View Post
i have often wondered if it would be better to floor it and get thru the offensive object.

with a top heavy mh or 5th wheel it would just off balance them and you'd be in the ditch overturned.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:01 AM   #150
Elf

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by faye View Post
with a top heavy mh or 5th wheel it would just off balance them and you'd be in the ditch overturned.
There is another option to flooring it to get through the object or swerving to avoid an object.

Hit the brakes.

If you find yourself in a bad situation, try to hit the softest, cheapest thing, as slowly as possible.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:08 AM   #151

An object in motion will try to stay in motion, newtons law, the faster you go the longer you stay in motion. I don't care if you have brakes on your tode or not.
Thats my ten cents worth, and I'll stick with it.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:15 AM   #152

Kinda like driving a straw thru a potato? Given enough momentum, you can get thru anything?
Old 09-11-2011, 11:29 AM   #153

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Didnt anyone see 'Days of Thunder'?? You're suppose to put the pedal down and drive straight through
Old 02-29-2012, 08:43 AM   #154

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mga60tw View Post
Why do people have to drive so fast when towing or driving their Class A or C? I see this alot on RV forums, where people say "OH I drive 70-75? or I can't drive 60.

I am on the road now and have been since March and have been all the way to Alaska and now heading back to Florida and have never needed to go over 62. I have been on interstates and back roads and never seen the need to go fast.

Several big Class A's passed me yesterday on I5 in Oregon doing 70. WHY? It is not safe? How would you stop that thing if you came around a curve or hill and the traffic just stopped?

Oh I can't do 60? I just can't do it. why? would someone explain?

Speed kills and it does take a lot longer to stop a big Class A or any of the rigs we may pull.

I am sorry for ranting but need to get this off my chest.
I don't know what state those 75 drivers are in, but clearly they are not in New England, where MAX pike limit is 65 and MAX freeway is 55.

Here in Maine ONLY the turnpike has a speed limit over 50 and off the turnpike you are hard pressed to find a road with a speed limit over 35. People drive 50-60 on Rt 1 all the time, completly ignoring the CLEARLY MARKED speed limit of 35. Yes, RT 1 Maine's major highway, has a speed limit marked 35. But does anyone ever slow down long enough to EVEN SEE the signs? No, judging by the ammount of police cars that have folks stopped every day, I'd say not.

In big cities like Biddeford, Lewiston, Bangor, or Portland ALL streets are marked 25...25...yet people fly through at 45 all the time. In small towns like Old Orchard Beach, you find speed limits of 10 and 15 on side streets and 25 on the main roads.

As you point out, no, it's not safe, and you didn't mention, but it also uses more gas to drive that fast, so not only do they not care about their safety and the safety of others on the road, they also have plenty of extra money to waste on gas. :P

Anyone that careless enough to speed, obviously doesn't care about human life, so trying to reason with them and tell them to slow down to save a life will do no good. The only way you'll get them to slow down is through something that they actually care about: money. So, teach them to save on gas by always driving between 35 and 45 and they'll slow down.

EelKat is offline   Reply With Quote