Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-29-2012, 09:21 AM   #155

National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Hubby and I just feel more comfortable driving the posted speed limit, if safe to do so, he is retired law enforcement and is a volunteer fireman, he has seen first hand the trauma and tragic results of reckless driving. Life is too short to spend it in a big hurry all the time.

ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2012, 11:57 AM   #156

In my younger days I drove semi (had to get there on time) and raced cars. I loved speed. Got my MH and soon realized speed = $$ and was nerve racking in the MH. Now I sit in the right hand lane doing 62 - 65 and it seems no one is in my way and it's a much better trip. I now find even when I'm driving my truck I'm doing the same thing. I do know that in the semi it took over a quarter mile to get it stopped and the MH wasn't much better. The way people drive today bumper to bumper doing 80 - 90 is a recipe for disaster.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:46 PM   #157

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just came across the US on I-10 and the speed limit is mostly 70 to 75 then came down I-95 and the speed limit was mostly 70. If you can't keep up the pace, traffic permiting, stay off the interstates and drive on roads that suits your self imposed speed limit. It is not fair for the safety of your fellow travelers as you are poking along, white knuckling it. I do not condone breaking the law by speeding but I also am annoyed by selfish, pompous self rightious folks pontificating on the safety on going slow on an interstate. I think everyone should drive at the speed that makes them comfortable. Just do it on the proper roads.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:14 PM   #158

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
I just came across the US on I-10 and the speed limit is mostly 70 to 75 then came down I-95 and the speed limit was mostly 70. If you can't keep up the pace, traffic permiting, stay off the interstates and drive on roads that suits your self imposed speed limit. It is not fair for the safety of your fellow travelers as you are poking along, white knuckling it. I do not condone breaking the law by speeding but I also am annoyed by selfish, pompous self rightious folks pontificating on the safety on going slow on an interstate. I think everyone should drive at the speed that makes them comfortable. Just do it on the proper roads.
not doing 55-60 out of fear... well, I am, but fear of the gas pump!!
Old 02-29-2012, 08:52 PM   #159
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Chuck... are you suggesting that unless one drives the maximum posted speed limit they should choose another route?

I'm far from a white knuckle driver but I'm retired... I'm in no hurry to get anywhere... I get my best mpg around 65 mph... and I don't feel compelled to drive any differently just because the laws in a particular area allow traffic to travel 75/80 mph without distinction between the guy in the 911 Turbo and me in my 40DP with SUV toad.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:57 PM   #160

National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Kudos to you Ricko...I would glady share the road with you!!!!!
ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:08 PM   #161

Workhorse Chassis Owner
IMHO driving my motorhome 55-60 mph on interstate highway is no more a safety issue than those motorhomes that drive 70-75 mph. Maybe even less. Guess thats why there are more than one lane, so slower traffic can keep to the right and let those who want to go faster have at it in the other lanes.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:29 PM   #162

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm one of those "slow" drivers and when driving the interstate I do the speed LIMIT or just under the speed LIMIT but I do it in the right lane, there is a lane to pass me and sometimes two lanes. When driving two lane roads I usually do the speed LIMIT but unfortunately I'm the slowest guy on the road. I don't think there is anyway I can make a speeder happy. Aren't most speed LIMITS determined by traffic engineers after considering conditions, traffic flow, etc?

Ron
Old 02-29-2012, 10:10 PM   #163

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I get tired of the jerks that think every road is a race track and every car in front of them is a challenge. I would remind some of our maximum only or plus drivers that it is just as legal to drive 45 mph on the interstate highways as it is to drive the maximum, usually 70 mph. And I've paid as many taxes to build and maintain those same roads as the next person. If you don't like my legal speed, you go find another route.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:20 PM   #164
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
I get tired of the jerks that think every road is a race track and every car in front of them is a challenge. I would remind some of our maximum only or plus drivers that it is just as legal to drive 45 mph on the interstate highways as it is to drive the maximum, usually 70 mph. And I've paid as many taxes to build and maintain those same roads as the next person. If you don't like my legal speed, you go find another route.
Can I get an "amen."

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:25 PM   #165
CD

Quote:
Here in Wa I have a legal right to drive my 10mph tractor(when leagally signed etc) on the state highway that is in front of our place. I usually only go 1/2 mile or so but as heavy as traffic can get it backs up fast. It is usually better to just go for it to destination as turning out at driveways etc to let traffic by and get going again is just as bad. The other option is to load it on a trailer and pull into traffic and by the time I get up to 30 I need to back off to prepare for turn ito driveway. Quite often that would require pulling into oncoming lane to swing into the driveway which can be several minutes. Driving the tractor usually causes less confusion and takes less time than hauling it.
Another example is in Ca. there many miles of 2 lane highways that have 55/65 speed limits. To me that is stupid.They should make everyones speed 60 and make no one happy.
Sometimes, things are not just black or white. Some times that slow rig can't or shouldn't go faster and another route isn't posible or reasonable. How can we set in our tall seat and make that judgement.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:52 PM   #166

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
When I see an RVer like Chuck coming overtaking me like a bat out of h-- I make sure to slow down further to minimize the time they are anywhere near me. I rarely, if ever, drive with white knuckles, but some of the scariest things on the road are RVers rushing to get home after a weekend, driving way beyond the safe handling speeds of their rigs. I wonder if any of them even realize that trailer tires are mostly rated for 65 mph and motor home tires for 75 mph. Clearly, the majority don't seem to understand that the capability to drive at a particular speed does not equate with the ability to do so safely. Watching them bounce down the road often swaying in the wind is almost enough to convince someone to stay off the interstates simply as a way of avoiding them.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:27 AM   #167

Ford Super Duty Owner
My purpose for driving the speed limit is NOT to control another persons speed that is the job of law enforcement, I drive the speed limit because I'm responsible for that wonderful person setting next to me......my Wife. Several years we were returning home traveling on the interstate and had head winds from the left gusting to at least 30-35 mph which makes my Wife very uncomfortable so I was driving 55 mph and we were passed by a motorhome doing at least 65-70. Seventy-five was the posted speed limit so he wasn't breaking the law. He was about 1/2 mile ahead of us when his left front tire blew, the combination of blown tire and cross wind made an interesting view from our front window. My Wife looked over at me and said "thanks".

Ron
Old 03-01-2012, 08:13 AM   #168
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Originally Posted by historyljc
I get tired of the jerks that think every road is a race track and every car in front of them is a challenge. I would remind some of our maximum only or plus drivers that it is just as legal to drive 45 mph on the interstate highways as it is to drive the maximum, usually 70 mph. And I've paid as many taxes to build and maintain those same roads as the next person. If you don't like my legal speed, you go find another route

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Can I get an "amen."

Make that a double.