Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2011, 08:27 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
I'm with chuck and Brian here.

First things first, the OP asked about those who drove a speed HE considered excessive, even though it was well within the legal limit.

There's lots of different kinds of people in the world. Some even drive Prius's and or Volvo's. Those who consider motor vehicles nothing more than transportation, and wish for the days that our governments bans personal cars in favor of trains and buses to keep us safe from ourselves and save fuel.

I personally am not in that group. I hot rodded a lawnmower when I was 11. Helped my cousin rebuild an engine when I was 12. Snuck down next to the gaurdrail at the fifty foot mark and watched the top fuelers at a distance of about 10 feet.

I like motorized vehicles. They give me joy. I enjoy driving, and working on my own vehicles.

My bus is happy at 65-70. I've accidentally done a lil over 80, it wasn't topped out, and was smooth and solid and to me felt very safe.

To many who posted in this thread... keep right except to pass. Remember you are not personally the traffic cops. There's really no need to raise cain over the "idiots" who drive faster than you, or the "morons" who drive slower (unless they do it in the left lane...lol)

They don't allow enough space here, but my usual signature line is:

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'"

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2011, 08:42 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mga60tw View Post
Why do people have to drive so fast when towing or driving their Class A or C? I see this alot on RV forums, where people say "OH I drive 70-75? or I can't drive 60.

I am on the road now and have been since March and have been all the way to Alaska and now heading back to Florida and have never needed to go over 62. I have been on interstates and back roads and never seen the need to go fast.

Several big Class A's passed me yesterday on I5 in Oregon doing 70. WHY? It is not safe? How would you stop that thing if you came around a curve or hill and the traffic just stopped?

Oh I can't do 60? I just can't do it. why? would someone explain?

Speed kills and it does take a lot longer to stop a big Class A or any of the rigs we may pull.

I am sorry for ranting but need to get this off my chest.
Out of the way Gramps! Coming thru!! Places to go and people to see!!

macnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:51 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
casting judgment on others is never a good idea.

People are different and have different values, skills, and viewpoints. You may not understand them and that should be taken as an opportunity for learning, not castigating or bad mouthing.

You might not like how others drive nor feel comfortable about it but that is really your problem, not theirs.

Where it gets worse is when you try to rationalize your feelings with irrational thinking. Matters of speed and safety tend to fall into this category and are especially pernicious IMHO.

Let others be. Learn to cope with other drivers on the road. You can adjust your driving so you stay away from those who bother you for the most part. Those who are really out there will get their due from law enforcement or the natural turn of events.

according to state patrol reports, speed is the number one killer. no one is so skilled that they should be driving something like a mh, 5th wheel or tractor trailer above 60 miles per hour. people who speed, endanger anyone on the road with them. i also think that if you are rving you should be doing this because you enjoy travel and if so why rush from one destination to another, the best part of rving is enjoying what is along the roads. so many times we have had people pass us for us to arrive at the next light almost as soon and driving at a safe speed. it does not matter how safe you drive or how you cope, if you are involved with a speeder.
slow down and smell the roses. lighten up on slower drivers comments,please
Old 08-31-2011, 09:22 PM   #32

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
examples of the sort of hysteria that are irrational and without empirical foundation:

"What they seem to forget is... the MAX SPEED RATING"

" or kill someone---but live and let live you say?"

"They are speeding and endangering my life, yours or a member of my family."

The OP wasn't talking about speeds well in excess of those commonly found on freeways if I read right. That is the context in which I replied.

While I do not recommend exceeding any rating, do note that there is a reason why it is called a rating and not a limit. Tire speed ratings are, essentially, heat tolerance ratings. Many ST tires, for instance, have speed ratings of 65 but one manufacturer suggests that you should exceed the max sidewall psi by 10 if you routinely drag your trailer on freeways. You won't blow a tire rated at 75 mph by going 76 or even 80. You should make sure that they are properly inflated and take other precautions as heat can do a job on tires. (usually, the heat problem is due to under-inflated tires, not speed)

As for the 'kill someone" - have you ever looked at highway crash statistics? What kills is people who get distracted, not moving with prevailing traffic. The last crash book I looked at (Nevada 2006) didn't even have 'exceed speed limit' in the top ten causes of crashes. The fact is that speed limits have very little to do with safety and studies indicate that the only time most traffic pays attention to them is when there is a threat of enforcement. See the MUTCD or the page on speed limits at the AZ DOT site.

re: "The thing is, the way a lot of drivers operate their vehicles DOES jeopardize others." -- I agree with this and it is why I keep an eye on other drivers to stay well clear of those whose behavior looks odd to me. Nevada has a program that puts NHP officers in the cab with cross state truck drivers because there has been a problem with folks cutting off the big trucks and doing similar tricks that put the truckers (and the crazy drivers) in jeopardy.

Speeders? they go right by as I do all I can to help them get past and they are soon out of mind. It is the left lane vigilante, the lady farding on the way to work, the LOL who can barely see over the steering wheel and has a death grip on it, they guy so busy with something he can barely stay in his lane, the blind spot formation driver, the dude who is getting road hypnosis because he hasn't taken appropriate breaks, the driver who is working his GPS, PND or whatnot and not watching the road, ... these are where the worry should be IMHO.

Off the road, IMHO the problem is those people who have bought into they myths about traffic and are pushing ever more rules and regulations to try to make drivers do what they think is right. That got us the double nickel, speed traps, traffic cameras, LEO's in hiding along roads, and a lot of other things that often made safety worse, not better.

re: "When you observe those exceeding the speed limit, you are not judging, you are merely observing their law breaking." -- there is a difference between observing a vehicle traveling faster than a posted speed limit and judging that driver as unsafe, incompetent or whatever. The OP seemed to be the latter to me.

Checked it out and we kill about 43000 people per year in traffic related accidents, one third of them (the number three cause) because of excessive speed 14000----not exactly something to be cavalier about either.

If you want to talk distraction (the number one cause) then thats another thread.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:25 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by faye View Post
no one is so skilled that they should be driving something like a mh, 5th wheel or tractor trailer above 60 miles per hour. comments,please
Oh come on, give us a break.

Perhaps you are not of sufficient skill to pilot your rig at over 60 mph, but you do not speak for everyone.

On every rural interstate in the land, even the truck speed limit is faster than that, and we are not driving trucks, the regular speed limit applies, up to 75 in many states.

Drive 60 if it pleases you, matters not to me.

But please do it in the right lane.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'
Old 08-31-2011, 09:28 PM   #34
Elf

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
To many who posted in this thread... keep right except to pass. Remember you are not personally the traffic cops. There's really no need to raise cain over the "idiots" who drive faster than you, or the "morons" who drive slower (unless they do it in the left lane...lol)

They don't allow enough space here, but my usual signature line is:

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'"
I agree...and I don't. My earlier post was not about speed control, it was about idiot control. People not paying attention in a motorhome or a Prius are just as dangerous. People who have been watching to much NASCAR and think they need to be drafting and cutting in front by inches when apparently their spotted yelled "clear" as they swerve in and out of traffic.

I couldn't agree more with the "WOW, what a ride" sentiment but I don't take it as license to do things that endanger others. Go fast, I don't care. Just be competent and capable. The problem comes in knowing if you are. Most newly licensed 16 year olds think they are great drivers. Most newly licensed pilots think they are great pilots. It's not until later that you find out how little you really knew.

It has been my personal observation that almost everyone thinks they are a good driver and have a good sense of humor. I have met many that are / have neither.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:35 PM   #35

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
That's the trouble with the Allison 6 speed. It limits me to 90-95 mph, the trucks have 12-18 gears and can go faster!
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:41 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Interesting discussion. When I was younger (before owning a MH) I was one of those high speed aggressive drivers. I liked my cars and liked to make them look good and go fast. I was fortunate to only have to pay the price of tickets and insurance before getting mellow with age and slowing down. I now drive the coach/toad rig around 63 mph and the toad alone 65 or maybe a bit higher depending on conditions... but I really don't think my "comfort speed" is ever higher than the posted limit.

It does "bother" me when someone blows by me in a big rig >75mph but I do feel relieved when they are out of sight. It bothers me more when people plow through CGs at anything over an idle. I drive my rig like a cruise ship coming in to port when going through a CG and IMO it's nuts to do it any other way.

I also feel that my family and I are being put in danger by those who drive big rigs in excess of the speed limit and through CGs too fast. I don't let it ruin my day but I don't have to like it.

I used to think that testosterone was at the root of the problem... knowing how it can overrule the brain...... but in recent years a rapidly growing percentage of those I see driving autos in an irresponsible manner are female. Who knows, testosterone may STILL be the cause.

rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:16 PM   #37

When I had my 5er and pulled it with my diesel Ram, the motor "got happy" at 72 mph. Below that, it wasn't as smooth. Above that and the EGTs got higher than I wanted. I have yet to take a trip with the MH, so I can't say what speed I will run at. Whatever feels comfortable.

Drive at whatever speed feels comfortable, but if you must fuddy duddy along, do it in the right lane. And... don't be so narrow-minded to think that your way is the only way. ...about anything... tires, black water tanks, toilet paper, etc...
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:09 PM   #38
CD

A number of years ago (a 100 or so) cars were showing up on our roads. They probably were able to go 10mph or so. That was pretty fast as that was about as fast as a horse could run. There was a young fellow in town that was highly skilled and had some different values and viewpoints that figured out how to make his car go almost 20. This concerned the town folks and scared/spooked the horses which caused all kinds of havoc. When business dropped off because the women were afraid to get out on the streets, the business owners met with the city fathers too see what could be done. The city fathers decided they needed rules to control this kind of thing. With new speed limits they now needed a policeman to enforce them (a new job in town). Now all these years later we all live with the consequences. It seems these actions have filtered into us old folkís age group. Must have been some young whipper snappers that got old but didnít grow up.
Using Sea Jayís terminology, there is probably less than ten cents worth of fact in this but I bet there is a lot of truth in it.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:14 AM   #39

I've never figured why you spend $100,000 for a new rig, and go out and try to destroy it with speed. You get the engine all worked up, trying to burn valves, tires so hot they about explode, warp your paint job, use excess amount of brakes and gas, all tense when you get to wherever your going in the rush, just to see a country you didn't see because you were driving so fast and looking like a competitor at the Indy 500. This is wise use of a nice rig? I'm talking congested up freeways, not the long lonely highways seldom used.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:55 AM   #40

Some of us are born with speed in our blood. Life in the fast lane. Get `er done. Time is money. We're burnin' daylight. Not time to lose. If some people wouldn't let what other people do bother them, maybe some people's blood pressure would be lower.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:53 AM   #41

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Enjoy the Ride

Hey, I like to enjoy the ride. I'm driving a motor home not a sports car. I would rather just get there 40 mins later, safely, in one piece while I enjoy the sites of America. Motor homes are built for comfort not speed and what's the point in driving fast when you are already home? I will hardly ever go over 60.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:06 AM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
I would like to kill the myth. Speed, emphatically, does not kill. I go 500 mph everyday I go to work. I have been over 1200 mph and I have friends who have been nearly 1800 mph. There have been people who have been 15000 to 20000 mph. So lets do away with the absurd notion that speed kills. It simply is not true. What is true, is that a sudden stop will be a joy killer. To make the point it is the change in speed that is the danger.

The person who is 20 mph slower than traffic is just as much a danger as the person who is 20 mph faster than traffic. If you are unwilling to keep up with the flow of traffic you are a hazard!

Lets kill another myth. Speed limits are safety limits. Speed limits usually have little to do with the physics of highway or car design. They are set with an arbitrary notion of whats reasonable and an eye on the production of revenue for the municipality. When the new Denver airport was built the 25 mile drive into the prairie had a speed limit of 55 mph. The airport had a budgetary line item for revenue produced from tickets.

I have driven all kinds of motor vehicles from motorcycles to semi's and have never seen a blowout cause an accident, they are rare incidents. If you want to see how to survive one watch this.

For the record, I have never had a speeding ticket.

Coma is offline   Reply With Quote