Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2011, 08:13 AM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
The topic of type of driving, speed and left laners has been on going on this site for years and for years. I was one of the, faster I can get there types, the more time I'll have to see the area I'll be in.
Do I feel that at that time in my life I could handle the problems and traffic on that roadway, YES. Do I feel I could still drive the way I could 20 years ago YES, but I don't, WHY.
We were sitting in a BIG traffic jam and I got talking to a TRUCKER who was looking forward to when he could do what we as RVers do. I now will quote him and I hope you understand why I changed my driving habits:
"Right lane is the RETIREMENT LANE"
"Middle lane is the working lane"
"Left lane is the passing lane"
He went on to say he drives all over this great Country of OURS and never sees it, why because I have to get from point A to point B as fast as I can SAFELY get there and to do that I have to look out for other drivers.
So now I use the "RETIREMENT LANE" when ever I can and travel along at what we call the "Seeing all of the Country Lane".
I do not Judge that driver[s] who for what ever reason must use the FASTER lanes but, feel sorry that they can not enjoy the views as much as we do.
Hopefully now when you pass that OLD FUDDY DUDDY you will understand we have all the time to use the "RETIREMENT LANE" and hope to see you there sometime.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2011, 09:02 AM   #44

I like 60 to 65 but that's me. Just this week I came on a safe driver doing 50 in the center lane while all the unsafe drivers were passing on both sides.The speed limit was 65.Suddenly he sped up and started passing everyone ,still in the center lane.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:39 AM   #45

That's going to be hard to do. It's just not normal for anyone to step on the gas for any sudden emergency situation. When I had my two Michelin moments, I just eased off the gas, but still wanted to stop ASAP to prevent any further body damage.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:51 AM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
If the speed limit is 55 I have no problem with 55 or so depending on traffic. If everyone is doing 60, that's OK. If it is 75 neither one of us likes driving that fast in a 40' vehicle towing a car so we get in the right lane and go whatever feels right as long as we are not impeding the flow of traffic. I have never seen 70+ posted on anything smaller than a 2 or 3 lane divided highway so that has never been a problem.

Where I do see a problem is when someone is driving under the posted limit and impeding other drivers from going at least that fast. While we may be in retirement mode they may be in I am late for something mode and that could make for a bad decision passing, tailgating or whatever. That does not make them right but does make them dangerous. Do you want to be the cause of that right or wrong? Not me. So stay to the right and if you can't let them go by consider getting off and taking a break. Rarely if ever do either one of us exceed the posted limit by more than 5MPH BTW.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:02 AM   #47
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Now, with more maturity, I have slowed down. When driving the motor home normally go 58-62mph. In the past I'll admit to 75mph in a dip between two hills (yes, I can differentiate between hills and mountains) several times with no cross winds. Use the "retirement lane" on 4 lane roads with no problems.

In the past I've driven AvGas trucks in the Air Force/ANG and had a string of fast British sports cars. I haven't gone 1200+ mph but did get up to 140mph several times. A previous post stated that speeding kills. It isn't the speeding, it's the sudden stop. The speed differential between vehicles can also cause problems as faster cars try to negotiate the salomon course that some roads have become.

To my eyes many of the younger current drivers are under trained for the speeds we see on the road. They tailgate, have cell phones stuck in their ears, etc.. I've also seen more mature drivers that clog up certain traffic lanes by driving under the posted speed limits.

I will also admit to driving faster than the posted speed limit on rural freeways when conditions allow the speed. Now a days my everyday driver is a Subaru Tribeca with full time AWD, traction control, 4-wheel disc brakes and those expensive 18" tires/rims. During the winter (Nov-Apr) it has 4 Bridgestone Blizzak tires. During the warm months the summer tires do their duty.

I think I've keyed in enough comments for now....
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:03 AM   #48

Having been in EMS for numerous years I have seen alot of people who could handle it but something went wrong.
As for what they blame get the following; before daytime running lights one of the answers was I did not see them, now look at the reports and being blinded by lights is crawling up there.
For the I will go over the motor cycle. Again would you like to know how long you are detained while accident reconstruction is going on? So much for vacation.
People are going to drive how they drive.
Recently I saw a pickup that was pulling a cargo trailer that was over weight for the truck and for the extra space he loaded the bed to. He went over a bridge and the front end came off the ground.
The only thing I would like is for everyone to think.
If you can, get your vehicle to a location and try a emergency stop.

Drive safe.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:24 AM   #49

I read the first couple of posts on this thread, then stopped. Was going to just go on surfing but decided to post My view on this long "WHY" type thread that many people like to voice their opinion.

Anything that I have NO control over, and/or cannot reasonably have a chance to change, leaves my mind almost immediately. I like to tackle the deeper meaning things in my life, not things like "why do some people like to go fast", when I only want to go half-fast.

Ed
Who does not even like idle conversation, and uses the why question only for scientific inquiry, as a rule, and am surprised I even took the time to add my time to this.

P.S. Yes, I've been an ass most of my life
Old 09-01-2011, 10:29 AM   #50

What really torques my jaws literally is the driver that thinks he can drive the speed limit in the fast lane all the time. I had a boss who drove a Vespa in the fast lane at 55 mph, "because he could." Arrrrgggg!!!!
Old 09-01-2011, 10:39 AM   #51
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke View Post
Having been in EMS for numerous years I have seen alot of people who could handle it but something went wrong.
As for what they blame get the following; before daytime running lights one of the answers was I did not see them, now look at the reports and being blinded by lights is crawling up there.
For the I will go over the motor cycle. Again would you like to know how long you are detained while accident reconstruction is going on? So much for vacation.
People are going to drive how they drive.
Recently I saw a pickup that was pulling a cargo trailer that was over weight for the truck and for the extra space he loaded the bed to. He went over a bridge and the front end came off the ground.
The only thing I would like is for everyone to think.
If you can, get your vehicle to a location and try a emergency stop.

Drive safe.
Yup, I like the daytime driving lights (DLR's). But if people lacking common sense can't figure out that headlights/tail lights are needed in foggy/rainy/snowy conditions we're in trouble.... They just don't seem to understand that driving in rain/snow creates a "rooster tail" that hides the back of the vehicle. Common sense seems to be sadly lacking in society today. JM2óW
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:56 AM   #52

My ha, ha, of the day:
I was driveing interstate 95 between Washington and Richmond last summer (this is always a VERY busy highway) a big desiel pusher came barreling by with his horn blairing; he was zig zaging in and out of traffic; he must have been going at least 90MPH; black smoke poreing out his tailpipe, he disapeared out of sight; about 15 miles up the road, there he sat, beside the highway, smoke comming out of the rear end of the motorhome; as I passed, at my leaserly 58MPH I gave him a gentel bep, bep, and a realy big grin.
Sometimes being in a hurry only slows you down.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:59 AM   #53

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Back to the original OP---she was frustrated about RV's who travel at 70/75 mph---and ranted a bit. I frankly did not consider when I read it the first time whether or not she meant speeders----over the speed limit.

There is actually a break point for me and it is the law----speed limits etc;

When I say I drive at 55 mph, it is because the posted speed for towing in the state I am in is 55 mph---that's it. I have another automatic governor and that is my Honda CR-V reccomends that it not be towed more than 65 mph--so I try to stay within that limit.

In following the law I have also found over time that my travel is more enjoyable; so I relax and enjoy the ride with my wife and dog. Now I prefer it---- a speed junky in my youth, some tickets to prove it---a more relaxed and serene fella in my twilight a blood pressure of 110/75 @ age 69 is proof of that..

In Arizona the speed limit for everyone is 75 mph on Interstates---I have no problem with someone who wants to travel that fast or any posted speed limit in any state; but I do resent people who feel the need to go 85/90 breaking the law.

Whether or not they represent a life threatening situation to me or themselves is immaterial and the chances are small enough not to worry about. The claim that many make that they are endowed with the capacity to "drive faster safer" than the rest of us is simple huburis on their part but again immaterial.

Breaking the law is an afront to those of us who respect the law. If you do not respect the law you are showing you do not respect us as well---so we react a bit on occasion with frustration with you and your behavior. An added insult is when who ever you may be decide to add recklessness to your speed---cutting us off---weaving in and out etc;

For that behavior you deserve at the very least our observations about your behavior. It is a small enough price to pay.

We are called fuddy duddy and admonised to "let people be, let them do as they want"---truth is we cannot stop the behavior (yours) can we? But we can observe it and comment on it---so you should just relax and accept it---that is what you ask of us. It seems fair.

14000 people died in speed related accidents last year; to date as far as I know no one has died from reading a commentary on IRV2.

Here is my offer to anyone driving on the same roads as I. I will drive in a manner as much as possible that does not interfere with you or make you uncomfortable in anyway. I will obey the laws.

Safe travels everyone it's been nice chatting with you.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:04 PM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE=njs42;945914]

We are called fuddy duddy and admonised to "let people be, let them do as they want"---truth is we cannot stop the behavior (yours) can we? But we can observe it and comment on it---so you should just relax and accept it---that is what you ask of us. It seems fair.

The term "Fuddy Duddy" is just an attempt at being polite. Nuff Said !!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:36 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
The term "Fuddy Duddy" is just an attempt at being polite. Nuff Said !!

You got that right.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:57 PM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
I just think going fast in something that big is just stupid, besides I thought the point was to enjoy the trip. I might just call the Highway patrol and ask are RV's supposed to do 70? I just think it is unsafe to put people at risk like that.