Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2011, 04:01 PM   #57

Monaco Owners Club
Haha. Here we go again. I used to drive fast. I don't anymore really. Hehe.

As for speed limits, I consider 10 over "ticketville" and try to keep within that.

I have a folder in my desk drawer labelled "speeding tickets" acnd I track how long ago the second one is. Here in illinois, 3 in a year is bad. If the second one in the file is more than a year ago, I'm good. Less, I try to be more careful.

I have no patience for those who think that since they are doing the speed limit, they own the left lane. The left lane is for passing, period, regardless of speed. I don't care if u r doing 90, if u are not actively passing, move right. Someone faster may be along.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2011, 04:04 PM   #58

Monaco Owners Club
Haha wish this droid app had an edit button.

And even if you do, in many places 70 or even 75is perfectly legal for an rv.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:31 PM   #59

Speed does kill, perhaps not the occupants of the speeding vehicle, but maybe someone had to make a drastic maneuver to avoid them and crashed. (would it be me, that IS my business).
As for reasons to speed in an RV, some are not retired, and thus must make the most of 2 weeks of time away from their job. Most all get away with it , some then get to brag to their coworkers back on the job about how many miles they drove those 2 weeks. How do I know? I listen.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:59 PM   #60

I'm one of those guys that is impatient I drive at least the speed limit and generally 5 over so pass me if you can and get out of the way if you can't. Has anyone ever seen how fast they can go in the quarter.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:00 PM   #61

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
In a 500 mile trip that I take many times a year, it is funny how many vehicles pass me multiple times. and yes I drive between 63 and 67 depending on conditions. Fuel mileage is the main reason. With my 60gal extrsa tank, I only fuel up every 700 to 900 miles. And yes I stop for potty breaks and to stretch the old legs every 3 to 4 hours. But again the same vehicles pass me whether rv's, autos, or trucks multiple times, so the speed thing doesn't get you there any faster, and sometimes actually slower. And I am not a nervous wreck when I arrive. I have driven Truck campers, trailers, class A's and 5 er's, alond with Semi's so I can tell you that speed doesn't always mean getting there faster. Thats my two cents.
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:05 PM   #62

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
Oh boy. I wish this android app had a quote button.

Jk jeeper, unless u wear a badge and a gun, it ain't yer freeking business.

Andeven if u d
It is my buisness if for what ever reason their RV loses control and hits me and my family, yeah then its my business, I just think it isn't safe and why do you want to go 70 to 75 anyway, I just don't get it. I went through an aera that has a freeway that goes through a small town with stop lights, and the RV's that blew by me doing 70+ were at the same stop lights I was, so what did they gain?
Old 09-01-2011, 05:12 PM   #63

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What scares me is when the slow drivers say they enjoy going slow and enjoying the scenary.

If you are driving any vehicle you better not be scenary gazing, you should be watching th road and traffic. Pull off and stop if you want to look around.
It aint texting, but it is still inattention to the driving.

Glenn
Old 09-01-2011, 05:19 PM   #64

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn and Kathy View Post
What scares me is when the slow drivers say they enjoy going slow and enjoying the scenary.

If you are driving any vehicle you better not be scenary gazing, you should be watching th road and traffic. Pull off and stop if you want to look around.
It aint texting, but it is still inattention to the driving.

Glenn
I drive the speed limit and no more than 65. I don't impede traffic, but I am not in that big of a hurry to get there ether.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:35 PM   #65

re: "Speed does kill, perhaps not the occupants of the speeding vehicle, but maybe someone had to make a drastic maneuver to avoid them and crashed."

interesting the fear in this thread that is not supported by measure.

The vigilante-ism is also interesting as it is people who are interfering in others driving that does cause vehicle crashes not to mention the implications of so many rules, regulations, and laws trying to control how people behave and think on the road.

The real tragedy is that actual reality doesn't seem to matter.

Vehicle crashes are carefully studied and reasons cataloged. That sort of data doesn't seem to matter to many participants in this thread. Instead it is myth and fear that they seem to insist upon.

If you want something to fear, I suggest it is the many folks who insist on leaving reality and measure out of their conclusions. The hubris that goes with this is almost as scary as the psychological denial. It is that hubris that makes them think they know better than others and should be in charge of how other drivers behave, for instance. That attitude is something to fear on the highways, IMHO.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:41 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnkat View Post
Out of the way Gramps! Coming thru!! Places to go and people to see!!
Now here is example of a (mod edit) who has no regard for anyone else. When my safety is endangered by (mod edit) like this, then I am concerned.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:02 PM   #67

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Kirby View Post
Now here is example of a (mod edit) who has no regard for anyone else. When my safety is endangered by a (mod edit) like this, then I am concerned.
I have to agree, so when he hits me and if I live, I will just sue the crap out of him, no problem.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:05 PM   #68

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There does seem to be alot of unskilled MH drivers that fear for their lives when another vehicle speeds on by or does a manuver that is considered unsafe by the offended driver.
I would suggest taking a drivers refresher course to make your journeys more enjoyable. Not only would these folks be more comfortable behind the wheel but could probably save some money on the insurance premiums.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:06 PM   #69

Just a question to those of you who feel it's ok to drive 7-10 mph over the speed limit. If I went into a store and stole something that only cost a few dollars should I be arrested? After all it's only a little illegal.

When the law says you should only drive 65 (whether you agree or not) then you should only drive 65, not 72.

We've become a society of people who are always in a hurry, does it really make our lives that much better?

I you are going 250 miles in your camper and drive at 55 mph it will take you 4 hours and 32 minutes. Someone who drives at 65 will get there in 3 hours and 51 minutes.
Don't know about you, but 37 minutes isn't worth the the cost of a ticket or the drop in gas mileage and the stress of driving at higher speeds (if you don't think it's stressful driving faster, try driving 10 mph slower for one day and see how much more relaxed you feel).

Just my 2

"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Brian & Donna
2011 Dodge Durango Crew & 2011 Cruiser RV - Viewfinder 22RBDS
natwwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:17 PM   #70

Winnebago Owners Club
I frankly don't feel safe pushing a big box to 70+, yeah I did it once,but didn't like it at all and backed off thinking of what if I blew a tire, could I recover at 70, maybe not, I really don't want to find out. If yo uwant to go fast, buy a Corvette, not an RV.