Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2011, 06:25 PM   #71

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by natwwal View Post
Just a question to those of you who feel it's ok to drive 7-10 mph over the speed limit. If I went into a store and stole something that only cost a few dollars should I be arrested? After all it's only a little illegal.

When the law says you should only drive 65 (whether you agree or not) then you should only drive 65, not 72.

We've become a society of people who are always in a hurry, does it really make our lives that much better?

I you are going 250 miles in your camper and drive at 55 mph it will take you 4 hours and 32 minutes. Someone who drives at 65 will get there in 3 hours and 51 minutes.
Don't know about you, but 37 minutes isn't worth the the cost of a ticket or the drop in gas mileage and the stress of driving at higher speeds (if you don't think it's stressful driving faster, try driving 10 mph slower for one day and see how much more relaxed you feel).

Just my 2
Most of the contrary posts were talking about just doing the speed limit. Of course the speed limit has alot to do from with what part of the country you are from. There's a huge differance wether you are driving on the Bronx River Parkway (illeagel in a MH) or driving across Texas on I-10. There are appropriate speeds for each instance. The are also many many Motorhomes that because of their poor design are unsafe at any speed over 40mph. There are many threads where they have to add hundreds if not thousands of dollars in suspension parts just to get down the Highway. I have seen many of these rigs wobbling down Highway myself. I'm not sure if the complainers are not just jealous because their coach is is so unstable and fear fo their lives.

Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2011, 06:28 PM   #72

Hubris ( /ˈhjuːbrɪs/), also hybris, means extreme haughtiness, pride or arrogance. Hubris often indicates a loss of contact with reality and an overestimation of one's own competence or capabilities, especially when the person exhibiting it thinks he is in a position of power.

Hubris is a side effect of Fuddy-Duddyism and also causes the mind to narrow to a point where the person affected, thinks he knows it all and his way is the only way.

Those people you see at the same stop light; they had time to take extra rest breaks and are much more refreshed after a long day of driving.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:37 PM   #73
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
I hope that all the writers who wrote about going over 70+ because they could not go any slower were kidding. The bottom line is speed kills, whether you are in a motorhome, pulling a 5th wheel, travel trailer, or a tent camper you have less control over your vehicle at a high rate of speed. I don't want to be near you if something bad happens if you are alone on the highway with no other cars knock yourself out you are the only one that gets hurt but on a road with other vehicles slow down to a safe speed. Usually when I get passed by a rv at high speed I pass it in the rest stop 5 minutes later. The same guy may pass me 4 times during the course of a day and get to the same campground 3 minutes before me. I really think that those who have a compulsion with speeding have a lot of growing up to do.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:38 PM   #74

re: "When my safety is endangered by a (mod edit) like this, then I am concerned." -- so, if someone doesn't meet your view of what is safe and what is not, then he is a moron? Maybe, just maybe, is there another possible option?

There is a name for labeling others as inferior to you when their opinion differs. It is an ugly label.

Yeah, I like to cuss at and comment on the idiocy of other drivers and wonder about their moron-ness and stupidity and genetic inheritance and upbringing - but I do that in private talking to myself to relieve my anxieties and frustrations in an appropriate manner and to help me be aware of the environment around me so I can do what I can to improve my safety on the road by what I do to avoid them.

re: "If I went into a store and stole something that only cost a few dollars should I be arrested? After all it's only a little illegal." -- do you really want to get into hypotheticals? Do you really think all crime is the same? What if the law contradicts itself - as it often does between laws for speed limit and laws for safe speed (see the MUTCD for an example)? What if the law requires immoral behavior? Can you tell the difference between a felony and a misdemeanor? between a civil and a criminal offense? Why are traffic tickets treated differently that other offenses? Are you holding yourself in the position of a person who has violated no law and infringed on no regulation?

No, I do not advocate exceeding speed limits much as I do not advocate ignoring tire ratings or other such things. But then, I don't hold myself as any better than anyone else or as one who should be able to tell another what to think or do or how to drive. I'll restrict my efforts at controlling the behavior of others to only when I am forced to do so and have no other option.

I think tolerance is an under-rated virtue and I think it sad to see so little of it.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:41 PM   #75

I just don't like the tail gaters, and thats more on single two way roads.
I look at if they wanted to be in front of me they should have left 5 min earlier and when I pay 40k for my 5er I only drive as fast as I think
is safe,so if the guy behind thinks i'm going to slow to bad,if I can pull over I will
Old 09-01-2011, 06:48 PM   #76

re: "The bottom line is speed kills"

This pernicious myth has been repeated many times in this thread. No data supports it, especially if you are talking about exceeding the speed limit as a cause of crashes and even if you are talking about excessive speed for conditions.

But you can play rationalization games, make bold and false assertions, and completely ignore reality, I guess.

Yes, speed means the energy is increased and that means that damage is increased if a crash occurs. That is a different phenomena than the idea that speed causes crashes. Do note that the mass of your RV is a big help in keeping you safe in a crash as any speed. Modern vehicle construction and design have also helped significantly reduce death and injury in crashes, even at speed.

A fundamental assumption in U.S. traffic law is that people generally travel at a safe speed. The fact that there are so few crashes caused by speed indicate that this is true.

The problem with the myth is that is a cause for setting speed limits that bolix up traffic, create high density situations that increase the odds of a crash, and emphasize minor driving errors. It is also used to rationalize money collection under false colors and that has an impact on how drivers view law enforcement.

But, despite reality, people still come in with yet another "speed kills" bald assertion. That is a phenomena in itself worth study I think.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:54 PM   #77

This is almost as interesting and exciting as the Walmart threads!
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:15 PM   #78
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
BryanL faster, go faster
Old 09-01-2011, 07:19 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG1 View Post
I hope that all the writers who wrote about going over 70+ because they could not go any slower were kidding.
NO, their dead serious. They have governors on their throttle pedal that won't let them go below 70+

Quote:
The bottom line is speed kills, whether you are in a motorhome, pulling a 5th wheel, travel trailer, or a tent camper you have less control over your vehicle at a high rate of speed.
You also have less control driving out of you driveway, so stay put.

Quote:
Usually when I get passed by a rv at high speed I pass it in the rest stop 5 minutes later. The same guy may pass me 4 times during the course of a day and get to the same campground 3 minutes before me. I really think that those who have a compulsion with speeding have a lot of growing up to do.
Like I said before, they had time for more rest stops and arrive much more refreshed than someone that is obsessed about what other people do.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:48 PM   #80

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Hubris ( /ˈhjuːbrɪs/), also hybris, means extreme haughtiness, pride or arrogance. Hubris often indicates a loss of contact with reality and an overestimation of one's own competence or capabilities, especially when the person exhibiting it thinks he is in a position of power.

Hubris is a side effect of Fuddy-Duddyism and also causes the mind to narrow to a point where the person affected, thinks he knows it all and his way is the only way.

Those people you see at the same stop light; they had time to take extra rest breaks and are much more refreshed after a long day of driving.
These are the probably the same folks that arrive about three hours after we get there and rattle around in the dark trying and get all hooked up and then leave a 6am so they can get 300 miles in by the end of the day.
Be aware, I don't have a problem with that , just saying !!!!!!!!!
Old 09-01-2011, 07:52 PM   #81

Naw, they get there at the same time and leave early so they can take more and longer rest breaks. Really.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:56 PM   #82

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Naw, they get there at the same time and leave early so they can take more and longer rest breaks. Really.
Thank goodness I'm only 76 and don't have to take naps
Old 09-01-2011, 07:57 PM   #83

I once had a friend that said the reason he drove so fast was to get to a gas station before he ran out of gas.
After reading all these posts; the thing that sticks out is:
The fast drivers are convinced that fast is the way to go.
The slow drivers are convinced that slow is the way to go.
Bottom line:
Facts don't matter; their minds are made up.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:58 PM   #84

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Kirby View Post
Now here is example of a (mod edit) who has no regard for anyone else. When my safety is endangered by (mod edit) like this, then I am concerned.
My my, no taste for a little well intended fun. Life shouldn't be so serious.

macnkat is offline   Reply With Quote