Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2011, 09:38 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnkat View Post
My my, no taste for a little well intended fun. Life shouldn't be so serious.
Driving on any road in any vehicle is serious. What is sad is, if the speed limit is posted at 70 MPH, or posted at 65 MPH, people feel the need to to drive 80 or 85 MPH. Two years ago, coming out of Virginia, a man with a Class A came buy me at 80 MPH. About 10 miles down the interstate he lost control over the Motor home. The news report said the excessive speed was the cause. He, his wife and two children all died in the accident. The only survivor was the family dog. It would seem to me thats pretty serious. The question was, why can't people drive the posted speed limit. Can anyone seriously answer that question????

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2011, 09:46 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
re: "Speed does kill, perhaps not the occupants of the speeding vehicle, but maybe someone had to make a drastic maneuver to avoid them and crashed."

interesting the fear in this thread that is not supported by measure.

The vigilante-ism is also interesting as it is people who are interfering in others driving that does cause vehicle crashes not to mention the implications of so many rules, regulations, and laws trying to control how people behave and think on the road.

The real tragedy is that actual reality doesn't seem to matter.

Vehicle crashes are carefully studied and reasons cataloged. That sort of data doesn't seem to matter to many participants in this thread. Instead it is myth and fear that they seem to insist upon.

If you want something to fear, I suggest it is the many folks who insist on leaving reality and measure out of their conclusions. The hubris that goes with this is almost as scary as the psychological denial. It is that hubris that makes them think they know better than others and should be in charge of how other drivers behave, for instance. That attitude is something to fear on the highways, IMHO.
It is good to know you agree with me Bryan.Occasionally a speeder does interfere with my driving.
UPDATE: This is an excerpt from a new (Sep 1,11) Texas law on speeding: " Officials say uniform speeds during the day and night can cut down on problems such as motorists tailgating and changing lanes to pass -- actions that factor in some accidents." The entire statement may be read here.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:34 PM   #87

what would all you people do that have to drive 70 and 75, if you lived in California where the speed limit is 55 and the guys in the black and white cars make sure you stay close to that speed
Old 09-01-2011, 10:45 PM   #88

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by larcougar View Post
what would all you people do that have to drive 70 and 75, if you lived in California where the speed limit is 55 and the guys in the black and white cars make sure you stay close to that speed
Sorry, been in California for 54+ years...very few places are 55, most freeways are 65 and when you are out of major cities it's 70.

But the answer to your question is drive the speed limit or pay the price, just like everywhere else.
macnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:58 PM   #89

I thought we were talking about pulling trailers, 55 isn't that rving
Old 09-01-2011, 11:26 PM   #90

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn and Kathy View Post
What scares me is when the slow drivers say they enjoy going slow and enjoying the scenary.

If you are driving any vehicle you better not be scenary gazing, you should be watching th road and traffic. Pull off and stop if you want to look around.
It aint texting, but it is still inattention to the driving.

Glenn
X2.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:31 AM   #91

I always give the gazers(geezers) meandering down the highway, looking at the barren desert, a wide berth as I fly by at or below the speed limit.

I find driving below the speed limit makes me sleepy. Would you rather have a sleepy slow driver or a wide awake driver going the speed limit?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:51 AM   #92

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There is no percentage to exceeding the limit, especially in an rv. Relax- stay in the right lane and let the crazy people pass you by.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:42 AM   #93

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
THAT'S IT, after reading all of this stuff I'm thinking of changing my user name from Chuck 1935 to "CRAZY HUBRIS"
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:51 AM   #94

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
THAT'S IT, after reading all of this stuff I'm thinking of changing my user name from Chuck 1935 to "CRAZY HUBRIS"
Many of us would fall into that category.
macnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:30 AM   #95

Insert Fuddy Duddy or Geezer before Hubris.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:48 AM   #96

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Even though I make an attempt to drive the speed limit it is also true that traffic has a rhythm and blending with the flow is important to avoid accidents. A typical example is an LA freeway that is moving at peak time----traffic can move in a line at 70/75 mph even in a posted 60mph. It works best if you keep up with the flow----merging in LA is an art form---and people not knowing how can cause severe frustration.

I learned to drive in Southern California and spent many years doing so.

It is problematic when you are towing because the state speed limit is 55---my solution is to cue off commercial drivers. So even though I respect the speed limit I may drive 60/65 or so because it is the flow that trucks have established---what ever it may be.

When on I-5 say between Redding and state 46---I drive the speed limit---plenty of room for others to pass----four lanes. I mimic the truckers who I find are slowing down as of late---must be lots of enforcement going on---I know they added 55 speed limit signs for towing a few years ago where I had not seen any before. So I drove faster.

My definition for speeding is someone who moves considerably faster than the flow or rhythm---regardless of the posted limit. Often this person must also resort to rapid lane changes, tailgating etc; to me that is a speeder.

Driving too slowly and cloging up the lanes dawdling is an example of poor driving.

State Motor Vehicle Crash Statistics

As to the driving conditions in Nevada (where I lived for eight years) this report above state by state shows in 2006 that out of 431 fatalities that year 159 were caused by excessive speed. The report show state by state and year by year.

Certainly driver distraction is on the rise. Interesting enough the same report shows a decline of speed related accidents---good for Nevada.

There is a contention that if for some reason a person believes that speed is an issue they also spend a lot of time worrying over this stuff. No --a reckless driver or one speeding by gets maybe a comment from my wife something like "gee I wonder why he/she is in such a hurry"; or "did you see that wow that was close". Then the preformances are quickly forgotten.

There is also a contention that if you have some disregard for flagrant speeders that you yourself must drive irresponsibly and clog up the lanes and interfere with the flow of traffic. One has nothing to do with the other.

As for using fuddy duddy as a pejoritive---when they start calling you names, as I explained to my children and now my Grandkids---it means they do not have an arguement. It means you have won.

When we drive we are not exercising our "rights". It's a privledge and revokable depending on the states experience with the individual driver.

Commenting is a right. And for those who have commented here I offer you my sincerest respect-- It's your right and I respect your willingness to participate---and I really wish you all well and safe travels
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:09 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnkat View Post
Perhaps you should re-read the OP. Most of this thread has to do with folks lolly gagging in the left lane and not traveling the speed limit. Now we have a bunch of self righteous people with their panties in a bunch trying to tell the rest of the world how to drive. If you think there is some kind of magical speed that will keep you safe, by all means drive it, but there seems to be a lot of people trying to tell the rest of us that the posted speed limit is somehow impending death. Very few here are suggesting over a posted limit. Get over it.
Most interstate have a maximun speed limit and a minimun speed limit posted. I do agree that those who drive under the posted speed limit should be in the right lane. The left lane is for passing, doing the posted speed limit. The left is not a driving lane or a race lane. Anyone on an interstate should not be lolly gagging and looking at the scenery. If you want to take in the sights get off the interstate. Take an alternate route.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:22 PM   #98

If you are passing someone at the speed limit and someone comes up on you like a scud missile, it's probably a good idea to speed up a little to get the pass done. Even if it means going over the speed limit.