Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2012, 07:56 AM   #169

Fleetwood Owners Club
I also drive at or below the posted speed limits. I am in no hurry anymore to get anywhere. I drive on the interstates a good bit and I can usually be found in the outside right lane thereby leaving the other lanes open to those that wish to drive at a faster speed that I. I am more comfortable at a lower speed, feeling I have a little more control should the unexpected happen. We all pay taxes for roads to be built and maintained. Some also pay speeding tickets or worse pay with their lives. I spent over 34 years in law enforcement and worked my share of fatal crashes including big rigs and rvs. Slow down, enjoy the ride, you will save fuel, and maybe your life.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2012, 08:24 AM   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by catonine View Post
I also drive at or below the posted speed limits. I am in no hurry anymore to get anywhere. I drive on the interstates a good bit and I can usually be found in the outside right lane thereby leaving the other lanes open to those that wish to drive at a faster speed that I. I am more comfortable at a lower speed, feeling I have a little more control should the unexpected happen. We all pay taxes for roads to be built and maintained. Some also pay speeding tickets or worse pay with their lives. I spent over 34 years in law enforcement and worked my share of fatal crashes including big rigs and rvs. Slow down, enjoy the ride, you will save fuel, and maybe your life.
Copy that.......
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:21 AM   #171

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
I get tired of the jerks that think every road is a race track and every car in front of them is a challenge. I would remind some of our maximum only or plus drivers that it is just as legal to drive 45 mph on the interstate highways as it is to drive the maximum, usually 70 mph. And I've paid as many taxes to build and maintain those same roads as the next person. If you don't like my legal speed, you go find another route.
You have made my point, I certainly don't condone speeders (over the posted limit) or driving as one suggested driving like a ,Bat Out Of Hell. But driving at 45mph on an Interstate might not be the prudent thing to do even though you are well within your rights. Just as the pedestrian has the right of way in California. Stepping of the curb without looking could reduce your chances of living to a ripe old age are greatly reduced.
Just for the record, in all of the thousands of miles I have driven in a Motorhome I have never seen any Reckless driving in a Motorhome wether it was speeding or driving slow.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:29 AM   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Just for the record, in all of the thousands of miles I have driven in a Motorhome I have never seen any Reckless driving in a Motorhome wether it was speeding or driving slow.
Either you are blind or you were going too fast to see it....
MRBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:00 AM   #173

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBB View Post
Either you are blind or you were going too fast to see it....
I stand corrected, I should have added, except for Florida.
I just didn't want to stir up a nest of hornets.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:03 AM   #174

You gotta keep them dogs in the right lane.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:34 AM   #175

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I drive 55 when ever I can safely drive 55. On some highways the speed that kills is my doing 55 and not keeping within the realm of traffic flow. When I was a kid the interstates had max and minimum speeds but the do gooders and their lawyers got that changed.

I will use multi-lane highways in the right lane and thoroughly enjoy that speed as "Tinker" gets her best mileage thereabouts and Denise an I like to only travel about 6 hours a day so 300 miles between stops is our norm.

For two lane roads I have the wireless camera (that used to hang on the back of out TT) in place and turned on so I can easily see if there is someone tucked in real tight behind us that I should move over for and I do just that as soon as is possible. The caveat here is that on the really windy and hilly roads in this province I do spend most of my time watching where I are going and not paying all that much time watching where I been, so people can sneak up on you. I just don't want to be the %(&^%*^% tourist type that is holding someone up.

If I had the money to buy a DP with the horses to haul along at 75 MPH I probably would get one and enjoy myself at a safe speed in that unit also but that safe speed would be about 15 MPH faster than in "Tinker"

I don't understand why everyone has their knickers in a knot about what others are doing as to my way of thinking it really should not matter one little iota.

Youall have a really nice day now.

Dennis
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:00 PM   #176

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mga60tw View Post
Why do people have to drive so fast when towing or driving their Class A or C? I see this alot on RV forums, where people say "OH I drive 70-75? or I can't drive 60.
I too tend to stick to 55-60 except when going down hill,, I don't like to ride the brakes. Hit 80 once, long down hill grade, 100 MPH tail wind. (I really did not much like that)

Now, why drive fast.. Two theories, both funny in a way, (One funny/sad)

My theory (Funny or sad your chioce) is that far too many Americans are in a hurry to get where they are going.. The Sad part is where we all are going,, TO OUR FUNERAL.. I don't know about you but I plan on taking my own sweet time getting there. I am in no hurry and when I am Late,,,, I want to be as "late" as possible. Some folks though are in a big hurry.

The funny funny story (Actually, it's science fiction)

Two researchers on a Faster than Light project, over time as they are commuting to/from the lab they notice all the speeders, The speed limit keeps getting raised but still people fly past 'em. "Is that a Rocket car" one says to the other.. Then the IDEA light comes on.

They petittion congress. the new speed limit is posted and since Amricans have a "GOD GIVEN RIGHT TO SPEED" within 2 weeks Faster than Light travel... Accomplished.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:38 PM   #177

I can't drive fast live in California speed limit 55 for towing a trailer
kind of slow is what it is
1stCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:54 PM   #178

I like to travel at a speed that keeps me from getting drowsy. The diesel motor in the Ram pulling my toy hauler got "happy" at 72. It felt like I was on rough pavement at 65. I've had it to 85 a couple times on a down hill, but it didn't feel right. Not unsafe, just not right. With the MH, I will probably do 65 or whatever feels right.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:17 PM   #179

Chucks RV is built for speed. Along with speed, people take notice of the hot rod style of driving and while they watch I can imagine they think his RV is tearing itself apart with internal damages from the quick rapid starts, to the quick grab of brakes at stop signs. Whew, no wonder he is tired at the end of a drive.
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:43 PM   #180

I might be one of the idiots passing you.

1. I am not retired.
2. I use my RV for business, and in many cases I have to do 1000+ miles in 24 hours in order to get back to my full time job.
3. I really dont care what you think about my driving
Old 03-01-2012, 03:55 PM   #181

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'll probably back out of this thread, discussions are great but I lose interest when personal attacks start. Bye all and have a good time.

Ron
Old 03-01-2012, 04:37 PM   #182
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
I agree and believe everything of any substance on this threads original topic has been said.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote