Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2011, 08:39 PM   #113

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Kirby View Post
Yes...It's call population control, so be sure to do you part, drive 100 mph or more.....
You will not find me "doing my part in Texas". To fast--way to fast for my blood in an RV---I just thought it an irony that in the middle of this thread-----we get that news.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2011, 10:35 PM   #114

Driving Fast

After years of pulling a 53 footer with mail, from Albuquerque, NM to San Francisco, Ca up and down the 5, I realized 55-60 and you never have to worry about pulling up on someones bumper. I got to my destination within the envelope and had to deal with a few blow outs. I had better control and the guy behind me didn't have the 65-70 mph gator coming at his windscreen. Slower is better on the fuel bill, also. Take time to smell the roses.....
splintair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:36 AM   #115

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elf View Post
The thing is, the way a lot of drivers operate their vehicles DOES jeopardize others. As a matter of fact, a lot of what other people do affects others whether it's directly in the way of an accident or indirectly through higher insurance premiums for all.
If people would drive as if there were a police officer driving behind them all the time the roads would be much safer. It's not that hard to do.
Well stated, can't add anything to your post
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:25 AM   #116

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
My class seems to perform best around 60 to 65, fuel average is best in that range too.

I do believe there should be some cruel and unusual punishment for those hanging out in the left lane. In Alaska the law requires to you to pull over if you are holding up 5 or more vehicles. Love to see that law enforced.

Wont discuss where my BMW seems to perform best
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:51 PM   #117

When I had my `82 Vette, it loved 85+. Would hug the ground better the faster it went.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:58 PM   #118

After reading this thread for a few days, I have seen all kinds of excuses to drive faster than the posted speed limit. No one has yet stated why they can not drive the posted speed limit. I think we have finally reached a point where laws do not apply to us anymore. It would also seem that law enforcement has given up enforcing the laws that are in place. Kind a sad when you think about it.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:07 PM   #119

R1Kirby, by the time you would have caught up to the speeder that passed you, they would have already gotten a ticket and been on their way. Either that or you're driving slow, gawking at the scenery and don't even see them getting a ticket.

Old 09-05-2011, 03:13 PM   #120

Sounds like another excuse to me.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:21 PM   #121

Key words: "to me".

Old 09-05-2011, 03:30 PM   #122

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Kirby View Post
Sounds like another excuse to me.
There is no good reason. When I speed in my car it's because I feel like going fast. I usually do it at 2am when there is little or no traffic around. Have I been popped? Yes, last time going to Las Vegas three years ago, paid the fine and moved on. In my Rv 65 max, mostly 58, just not in a hurry and I don't need to know the top speed of my MH. I did most of my speeding 25 years ago, but every know and then I crack the throttle a little wider and feel the thrill of speed.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 03:41 PM   #123

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
We have been home almost 3 weeks now. We drove our truck to Alaska. Did not take the motorhome for a variety of reasons. On the trip up we went through Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Alberta, British Columbia, Yukon Territory and, into Alaska. Take a guess on how many Highway Patrol we saw. You probably are thinking we saw quite a few on a trip that long. Well the number of them that we saw on the way up: 0. We saw 1 in British Columbia when we were leaving. As a matter of fact it was our last day in Canada when we saw him. After we got back in the states I can count on one hand the number of Highway Patrol we saw going through; Washington, Oregon, Northern California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico and, finally home in Texas. A trip of almost 10,000 miles and speeders were everywhere but where were the Highway Patrol? Can't tell you. So, I guess like has been previously posted if the people who are supposed to be out there enforcing the law aren't then it's up to you as to how fast you want to drive because it looks like the LEO's aren't out there to stop you. If you don't like the speed I am driving when you come up behind me, then you sure aren't going like the speed I can go to next. Sorry about the long post but, we see it ever day out here in West Texas. Oh, by the way the new speed limit in Texas now is 70 mph. FOR ALL VEHICLES.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:50 PM   #124

GOLDWINGER2, If you want a deserted highway, try I-8 on Christmas morning between Gila Bend and Yuma.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:29 PM   #125

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
....Wont discuss where my BMW seems to perform best
Mine performed best on the Autostrada and the Autobahn!
Old 09-05-2011, 04:35 PM   #126

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoc View Post
. . . Oh, by the way the new speed limit in Texas now is 70 mph. FOR ALL VEHICLES.
Effective September 1, 2011, Texas' new top speed limit becomes 85 mph

See here:

Speed limits in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote