Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2011, 12:15 PM   #1

Driving Fast

Why do people have to drive so fast when towing or driving their Class A or C? I see this alot on RV forums, where people say "OH I drive 70-75? or I can't drive 60.

I am on the road now and have been since March and have been all the way to Alaska and now heading back to Florida and have never needed to go over 62. I have been on interstates and back roads and never seen the need to go fast.

Several big Class A's passed me yesterday on I5 in Oregon doing 70. WHY? It is not safe? How would you stop that thing if you came around a curve or hill and the traffic just stopped?

Oh I can't do 60? I just can't do it. why? would someone explain?

Speed kills and it does take a lot longer to stop a big Class A or any of the rigs we may pull.

I am sorry for ranting but need to get this off my chest.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2011, 12:36 PM   #2

I'm with you the speed limit in calif is 55 when pulling a trailer I'm retired and not in any hurry to kill myself I see people pulling trailers going by me doing 70 all the time,and the little cars on I-5 doing 80 and 90 they don't even think about a blowout

Old 08-31-2011, 12:39 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well I can't explain it---but I can observe for every rule there are rule breakers---and the rules that apply here--are the rules of physics and you are right these big things do not stop well (some will say they can stop on a dime etc; it's nonsense).

If who ever passed you in Oregon was towing then he/she was also speeding.

But this behavior is not limited to RV's----frankly motor cycles annoy me just as much they seem to always want to swerve in front of me so close I actually can lose sight of them for a split second under the front of my rig---very unnerving. I expect to find one in my radiator sometime along with the bugs.

I have gone 70mph---in Arizona--I-10 wide open, smooth, not crowded, speed limit 75mph, not towing. Finally I learned even in those circumstances it is just hard on the rig, the driver, the passenger---so why? I ask myself.

Being in a hurry seems to contradict the entire idea of a MH or RV of any type---relax enjoy yourself---slow down enjoy the ride.

So I'm with you----I drive around sixty perhaps a bit more, and pull out often on two lanes for drivers that need to go faster. I did the entire length of California at the towing limit 55mph last time through---and it was a great trip.

Wave at me as you go by I will be the one with the relaxed and pleasant smile on my face----life is too short for shenanigans.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:44 PM   #4

Driving Fast

I agree. Driving a motorhome at those speeds is truly unsafe. If they have a blowout, especially on the front end they are going to lose their lives or kill some innocent people. I figure these are the same folks who drive around the RV parks in a cloud of dust, doing 20 or 30 MPH. They think they are the only ones on earth -- inconsiderate!!!
Old 08-31-2011, 01:12 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Maybe preppy youngsters just saying.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:20 PM   #6

casting judgment on others is never a good idea.

People are different and have different values, skills, and viewpoints. You may not understand them and that should be taken as an opportunity for learning, not castigating or bad mouthing.

You might not like how others drive nor feel comfortable about it but that is really your problem, not theirs.

Where it gets worse is when you try to rationalize your feelings with irrational thinking. Matters of speed and safety tend to fall into this category and are especially pernicious IMHO.

Let others be. Learn to cope with other drivers on the road. You can adjust your driving so you stay away from those who bother you for the most part. Those who are really out there will get their due from law enforcement or the natural turn of events.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:33 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
What they seem to forget is... the MAX SPEED RATING for your very expensive RV tires is only 75 mph. They are riding on the very edge of disaster doing 75... that tire could let go at any time.
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:46 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
The 'cheaper' brands are 65mph....
Old 08-31-2011, 02:05 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
The faster you go, the sooner you get stopped:

Ticket
Blowout
Accident

I can wait a long time for these.
a10koaksfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:17 PM   #10

I agree. I drive between 55 - 60 and stay at that speed. I'm comfortable with that and the gas mileage is better at the slower speed. If someone wants to drive faster thats their business. I slow down when I see them coming and let them go by. I'm in no hurry and leave with plenty of time to get to destination.

To each his own. I concentrate on those around me while driving and keep an eye out for danger. Dad taught me that some 40+ years ago and hasn't failed me yet.

JMHO
Arnold
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:21 PM   #11

I like to run 62 - 65 which is fast enough for me....62 is where the coach shifts into 6th gear...and 65 is the speed limit in most states....depends on the traffic, weather, and other factors.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:34 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanL View Post

People are different and have different values, skills, and viewpoints. You may not understand them and that should be taken as an opportunity for learning, not castigating or bad mouthing.

You might not like how others drive nor feel comfortable about it but that is really your problem, not theirs.

Where it gets worse is when you try to rationalize your feelings with irrational thinking. Matters of speed and safety tend to fall into this category and are especially pernicious IMHO.

Let others be. Learn to cope with other drivers on the road. You can adjust your driving so you stay away from those who bother you for the most part. Those who are really out there will get their due from law enforcement or the natural turn of events.

or kill someone---but live and let live you say?

Seems like a contradiction.

Are you casting judgement on us because we muse to ourselves? Another contradiction?
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:34 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by a10koaksfed View Post
The faster you go, the sooner you get stopped:

Ticket
Blowout
Accident

I can wait a long time for these.
Well said, I have lost count of how many RV's blow by me doing 70+ it is scary as one blow out or some one cutting one of the RV's off could spell disaster, They must think it will never happen to them.I dont want to be around them when it does.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanL View Post

People are different and have different values, skills, and viewpoints. You may not understand them and that should be taken as an opportunity for learning, not castigating or bad mouthing. Not badmouthing anyone, just stating a fact -- Speed Kills. So you say because they have a different values, skill or viewpoint that gives someone the right to speed and maybe kill me, you or my grandchildren?

You might not like how others drive nor feel comfortable about it but that is really your problem, not theirs. But their problem, unable to drive safely, by doing the speed limit, can affect me, They can kill me! or my family or someone elses.

Where it gets worse is when you try to rationalize your feelings with irrational thinking. Matters of speed and safety tend to fall into this category and are especially pernicious IMHO. it really isn't a feeling, it is an observation, They are speeding and endangering my life, yours or a member of my family. Besides they may kill themselves and who knows how many family members would be affected.

I have been on the road for 6 months and driven from Florida to Alaska and only saw one speed trap. So they are not being caught. They know no one is watching them, due to budget cuts of police etc.. Not sure what natural turn of events are, Hopefully not killing themselves or someone else, was not what you meant.