Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2015, 05:20 PM   #1
IC2

Driving in NY State? A heads up

I know everyone here is a thoughtful and conscientious driver but occasionally things don't sink in like they should when we are behind the wheel for a few hours. We are at a CG near Exit 31 of I-87 (Westport - Elizabethtown) and this morning I had occasion to go to Exit 37 (Plattsburgh). There are a couple of areas of bridge repairs where the speed limit is reduced to 40 mph. They really mean that speed as in the 35 or so miles going I witnessed one LEO stop. On my return, three. Since we are here as a semi-seasonal user, we normally drive from Exit 11 or 12 on I-87 and without fail, someone is being stopped/ticketed every time we are driving that highway - and its a 2X fine over the normal for speeding in the posted construction zones. Traffic beyond Exit 23 is seldom heavy so even a couple mile or so of reduced speeds wont delay your trip more then a couple minutes but it sure can if you are ticked and subsequently fined big bucks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2015, 05:29 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
They are serious about speeding in construction zones in NY. There have been several workers killed in the work zones the past. Fines are doubled and tripled in NY work zones.

Old Radios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:32 PM   #3

And that is a fine richly deserved. Folks working on the highways have enough to deal with. They do not need somebody blowing through their work zone at full highway speed. You also do not need to find a dump truck or back hoe emerge in front of you when at that speed.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:14 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
And that is a fine richly deserved. Folks working on the highways have enough to deal with. They do not need somebody blowing through their work zone at full highway speed.
You said it, brother.
VAParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 11:31 AM   #5

iRV2 No Limits Club
NY state has always been tough on traffic enforcement since at least the 60's when I leaned to drive in western Massachuetts. Many things that went unchallenged in Mass. would get you a ticket quickly in NY.

I welcome it.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 11:42 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
Something else that amazes me in construction zones, or actually before you get into them is, there are signs that tell you which lane is closed and how far until you get to the zone. There are always signs that tell you to MERGE NOW. What do people do? They always wait until they get to the barrels or cones or whatever they use to close the lane to try and merge into the open lane and thus cause a traffic jam or worse a wreck. Either they don't know or don't care that they can be given a ticket for failure to observe traffic signs. When that happens the fine is doubled. when we are in our motor home and get into a construction zone I pull into the open lane as soon as I can. If somebody does not like the speed I am at then they sure aren't going to like the next speed I go to.

Jerry
jdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoc View Post
Something else that amazes me in construction zones, or actually before you get into them is, there are signs that tell you which lane is closed and how far until you get to the zone. There are always signs that tell you to MERGE NOW. What do people do? They always wait until they get to the barrels or cones or whatever they use to close the lane to try and merge into the open lane and thus cause a traffic jam or worse a wreck. Either they don't know or don't care that they can be given a ticket for failure to observe traffic signs. When that happens the fine is doubled. when we are in our motor home and get into a construction zone I pull into the open lane as soon as I can. If somebody does not like the speed I am at then they sure aren't going to like the next speed I go to.

Jerry
One time on a trip in WVA they were working on a bridge on the interstate and had one lane closed. They had signs about 2 miles before you got there to move to the left lane. I try to get in the proper lane at my earliest convenience and keep moving. On this one occasion there was a guy that didn't want to get in the slow moving traffic and decided to continue down the right lane to the construction site, one only problem was the State Trooper that was down there. I don't think the driver got a ticket but the trooper wouldn't let him get in the left lane and held him there for quite a while. The guy kept trying to inch over to the left by was stopped, end result he actually lost time because the trooper made him wait.

In my many miles looking through the windshield, many times the semi drivers would block the closed lane as they moved along and keep the anxious 4 wheelers from cutting in and then one of their buddies would let them squeeze in at the last opportunity and keep it closed up so no one could follow him.

Pennsylvania is also serious about speeders in a construction zone, but really they get tough on interstate construction zones in every state. To many workers are killed or injured. They can't do their job and keep a lookout for drivers that can't stay in their lane.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:24 AM   #8

FWIW I have long thought that the best deterrent would be for the Trooper to take somebody's license, do the license check and then let them sit there for an hour. Get caught twice and it's 2 hours. Get caught 3 times in a year and lose the license because they are too dumb to drive.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:22 AM   #9

I, too, always get into the through lane as soo as I see the sign. Strangely, the AAA magazine recommends staying in each lane until the merge point. In a perfect situation, this would work if people would alternate at the merge point, but this just doesn't happen. Whoever wrote this suggestion doesn't live in the real world.

I have seen the truckers block the opposite lane, and have also seen car drivers get onto the shoulder to pass the blocking truck - and even get completely off of the shoulder on the grass to pass the truck.

Every once in a while, when all of the planets align, I have seen everyone get into the through lane. Then, with no one merging, the traffic passes through the construction effortlessly. What a neat concept!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
FWIW I have long thought that the best deterrent would be for the Trooper to take somebody's license, do the license check and then let them sit there for an hour. Get caught twice and it's 2 hours. Get caught 3 times in a year and lose the license because they are too dumb to drive.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 09:53 AM   #10

Having worked on interstates and other highways my entire 35 year career, I can attest to the fact that speed and construction zones don't mix. Many close calls, several injuries but luckily no deaths in any of my team members.
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 10:28 AM   #11
IC2

When I first did this thread I neglected to mention that the one North bound car that was stopped was a lady who felt it necessary to pass the very short line and cut in front of us - and 'surprisingly', the car, a Beemer SUV with New Jersey plates. I don't like picking on that neighboring state's drivers, but so many times that I see someone stopped Upstate NY on I-87 or I-90, the car is from there and occasionally visitors from MA or Quebec.
Old 07-11-2015, 11:01 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Ryegal
Take warning

Washington state is also strict about construction zones as they should be tere have been a lot of accidents.
Next pet Peeve. not just in your car but also in stores. Why do some people believe it is fine for you to wait in line while they just cut in??? I have often tap someone on the shoulder and said the line way back there where I am. The looks are priceless. Little harder to do in a car
Old 07-13-2015, 11:24 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
As my handle implies, I have been in heavy construncion for most of my working life. There are many stories that I could tell about traffic and construction. I have been in the "middle" of lanes driving pile for bridges more than I care to recall. I do not have any personal friends or employees
that have died, but there have been othe pile driver men (pilebutts) that have paid that price. One such that I can remember was the son of the owner of a competative company. That happened on the I-15 near I-80 in San Diego 10 or 20 years ago. And that, come to think of it, was befor texting etc. I remember the phrase "drive friendly" that was on TV for years. I'm no longer in any hurry to get anywhere, won't go where I cannot drive the Coach, and refuse to board any Commercial Airline for any reason other than Family.
Sorry about the tirate but I've seen too many drivers ignore flag people and know of a few deaths for that reason alone.
Be safe, my motto has always been get home with all your fingers and toes, see you in the AM, we'll do it all over again!
Old 07-13-2015, 12:56 PM   #14

Just always remember that these folks are out there trying to make a living, providing for their families. They are someone's husband, wife, father, brother and neighbor. The few seconds you lose in a construction zone, won't make a bit of difference in the length of your trip.