Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2012, 01:25 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Whats it like if you pass through @ 3AM....a little more pleasing?

RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2012, 02:36 PM   #16

iRV2 No Limits Club
I drove in downtown San Francisco once around ten years ago. NEVER AGAIN! EVER! Whoever designed the traffic flow patterns was drunk, high on crack, or, most likely, both!

Old 03-27-2012, 06:34 PM   #17

Note to self: Remember what Rmiscoord said!
Old 03-27-2012, 10:09 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
San Francisco is one city that you cannot traverse from north to south without driving through inner city streets. There is no freeway connecting Marin County with South SF - you're going to have to navigate city streets.

Not for the faint of heart RVer if you happen to have a big rig Class A or 5er.

Best advice if you are not comfortable with inner city RVing is to circumvent SF and go inner city in your toad!

I might add that you can enter the city via freeway from Oakland -across the "Bay Bridge" and proceed to the Pacifica-located SF RV Resort, which is a magnificent on the ocean RV resort just a few minutes south of SF. I grew up in the SF Bay Area many years ago and must say that our recent stay in Pacifica was the perfect RVer place to stay and then explore SF.
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:23 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
My favorite place to stay in the sf bay area is in Pacifica.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:21 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
I loved living thee about 25 years ago. Ran all over The City, down into Silicon Valley and up into Napa/Marrin in my little D50 manual 5 speed pick-me-up truck. That was fun.

But, pulling a trailer or driving a big rig, no no. No way in hadies.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:56 PM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You don't EVER want to go on the Bay Bridge. Trust me. When we come to SF from the north and want to pass thru, to the south..........take the first right turn off the Golden Gate bridge, go thru two tunnels and make a right onto Lake Street. Go past 25th Avenue and make a left onto Clement St. Go as far as you can to the Great Highway and go left, past the beach, past the zoo and south to your destination. A lot of folks take 19th Avenue thru the middle of SF, to go south. Don't do this !
Old 03-29-2012, 05:46 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
You don't EVER want to go on the Bay Bridge. Trust me. When we come to SF from the north and want to pass thru, to the south..........take the first right turn off the Golden Gate bridge, go thru two tunnels and make a right onto Lake Street. Go past 25th Avenue and make a left onto Clement St. Go as far as you can to the Great Highway and go left, past the beach, past the zoo and south to your destination. A lot of folks take 19th Avenue thru the middle of SF, to go south. Don't do this !
Just out of curiosity, what's the clearance/height on those tunnels?
Old 03-29-2012, 06:20 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
No problems on the Bay Bridge for us with 43' Class A and a toad. Beautiful, scenic way to enter the city!
Old 03-30-2012, 01:04 AM   #24
Rom

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Never again for me too! Drove 101N thru downtown SF a few years back when we had the class C and experienced what the other posters have said about merging or changing lanes. Then (my bad) miscalculated my speed and clearance and hit my right side mirror on the toll booth which scares the hell out of the DW when the mirror shattered. That was a bad lesson learned and an experience that reminds me not to drive thru there again.
Rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:55 AM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
DHart: You are three times the man I am. Commuter traffic came to my mind. 6 to 9 am and 4 to 7 pm are usually BAD. East Bay locals and commuters show you no mercy. North Bay locals are a little more mellow.

Finhawk: Don't know exactly. Our MH is 12'5", probably about 14'.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:32 PM   #26
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
We've taken our RV's through S.F. several times on 101 over the past 25 years.

You have to study the map before hand so you know where you are going to be turning way in advance so you can get in the proper lane.

With my coach I turn on the turn signal and wait for someone to let me in and if they don't I just start edging over. That's how the buses there do it and people give in when it starts getting tight for them.

I find it kinda fun actually.
I ran into that situation many years ago in Spokane, Wa. I was driving a semi W/40' trailer E bound on I90. Took off ramp for Highway 2 N bound. From off ramp you turned left under I90. I knew the town well enough that I know I had to move left at least one lane or go into Down town Spokane and I wasn't about to do that. I had about 4 blocks to make the lane change. It was about 7AM and NOBODY was going to let me in. After about 2 blocks I just quit looking in the mirror and gradually moved right. I never head any crunch and I changed lanes. I made that trip several times and had to do the same thing every time.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:57 PM   #27

AS JacknKay illuded to, use I-280 and 19th Ave. There is a lot of traffic but what about I-405 around LA? I have navigated around SF many times with a 40' MH and it is really a piece of cake.

Jim E
Old 03-30-2012, 07:21 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD

I ran into that situation many years ago in Spokane, Wa. I was driving a semi W/40' trailer E bound on I90. Took off ramp for Highway 2 N bound. From off ramp you turned left under I90. I knew the town well enough that I know I had to move left at least one lane or go into Down town Spokane and I wasn't about to do that. I had about 4 blocks to make the lane change. It was about 7AM and NOBODY was going to let me in. After about 2 blocks I just quit looking in the mirror and gradually moved right. I never head any crunch and I changed lanes. I made that trip several times and had to do the same thing every time.
Spokane drivers are almost as bad as LA drivers. Was stationed there for two years and spent two more years at Cheney Normal School. That intersection can drive you nuts.

Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote