Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2016, 08:42 AM   #1

Driving myself crazy!

Hi everyone! My husband and I have been researching fifth wheels for over two years and are finally ready to buy. I thought I wanted a front living until I actually walked thru a few. Then I fell in love with the bayhill 340rk! I love how much room! But when I look at the floor plan, I'm concerned that I can't get to anything when slides are in. Then we walked thru the landmark charleston and WOW! Just love how the livingroom feels separated from the kitchen.
My questions to all of you are:
Has anyone regretted going with such a large 5er?
Does anyone have any experience with the bayhill 340rk or landmark charleston?
Is there any other floor plan that I'm missing that feels like home rather than an rv?
If you were to trade your 5er in today, what would you get now knowing what you know?

I will be mostly using this to spend 3-4 months in Florida (1 location), but want to travel a little also. I already have a big truck to haul, so that's not a problem.
Thank you for anything you can give me to think about!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2016, 09:01 AM   #2

I am not familiar with 5th wheel trailers but I do know that if you can not get around inside or get to certain things when the slides are in that is not a good feature. My coach is a little closed in when slides are in but you can still walk around, get to the bathroom and refrigerator and all of the storage. So it depends on how much you will be traveling vs the open living space when sitting. Good luck with your decision.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:51 AM   #3

You will spend 2% of your time in your trailer with the slides in. ( I make up statistics as I go along.) The rest of the time the slides will be out. Go with the floorplan you like best and do not worry about the slides.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:54 AM   #4

New Horizons Owners Club
Big is great while you are sitting, but moving around and even getting access into many desireable locations can be difficult and sometimes impossible as your trailer gets bigger. We are 40' with the tool chest on the rear receiver. Often we can only fit into a few lots in many parks. We always have found a way so far, but it can be challenging at times.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:09 AM   #5

if you'll stay for extended times, then you'll love the 5r room, it's more like a 'home' than any other rv. I wouldn't worry so much about access when the slides are in, that's only when you are traveling and need the 'bathroom'... not a big decision maker when deciding on your new 'home'.
I also love the front living areas versus the front bedrooms that are typical in most, but each his own when it comes to preferences. I've also seen some 5rs with great rear living rooms, open, large tv and cabinets, great...
the floorplan you like the most should be the main decision maker - not length.

just my 2 cents - we've had both a 42' 5r bunkhouse, a 38' class a gas, and now the 35' class a diesel.

'14 FordFocus, KingTailgater2 DishHD, 200w/10a mobile SOLAR, 75,000+ miles
all continental US states, Alaska, and yes, most of Canada!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:30 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
You're very wise to consider what you will or will not have access to with the slides in! Most folks don't think about that until it's too late!

We pulled a 5er for 10 years before getting the MH. Ours was a 36' Cedar Creek which we dearly loved! That was the perfect size for us!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:39 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Try and get 6 point hydraulic auto level. Also some of the new models have a patio deck. Real nice. Washer dryer hook up is nice also. Bigger is better for us.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:55 PM   #8

It doesn't appear that you can get to the kitchen with the Bayhill with the slides closed. The Landmark Charleston appear to be 41' and is very heavy.

What exactly is your truck? Even though you think it's big, it may not be big enough.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvngthegdlf View Post
Hi everyone! My husband and I have been researching fifth wheels for over two years and are finally ready to buy. I thought I wanted a front living until I actually walked thru a few. Then I fell in love with the bayhill 340rk! I love how much room! But when I look at the floor plan, I'm concerned that I can't get to anything when slides are in. Then we walked thru the landmark charleston and WOW! Just love how the livingroom feels separated from the kitchen.
My questions to all of you are:
Has anyone regretted going with such a large 5er?
Does anyone have any experience with the bayhill 340rk or landmark charleston?
Is there any other floor plan that I'm missing that feels like home rather than an rv?
If you were to trade your 5er in today, what would you get now knowing what you know?

I will be mostly using this to spend 3-4 months in Florida (1 location), but want to travel a little also. I already have a big truck to haul, so that's not a problem.
Thank you for anything you can give me to think about!
OK you asked!

I am on my third 5er in 8 years. First one we bought used to see if we really wanted to get back into RV'ing. We did. The second was a Keystone product and never again but this taught me a few things. MY third is a Forest River Product and is a 2016 Cedar Creek 34RL.

I would get a minimum of 10" I Beam frame reinforced with pass through storage space in the basement. The largest basement opening as possible. 6-point Auto leveling system, 12V tank heaters, 12 gallon DSI water heater or on demand. Dual A/C as the minimum with a heat pump on one of them. MCD room darkening style roller shades with roller screens. Trust me you do not want room darkening shades, this is an oxy moron. They have little pin holes to allow them to be raised up and down, thus light is allowed in. Dexter E-Z Flex rubber equalization system with 1/2" link plates and wet bolts (grease able) Bronze bushings in the shackles and not plastic, minimum of 16" G-rated 14 ply tires and 7,000 LB axles. I would also look for never adjust brakes on the unit.

I would buy another Forest river product like a Cedar Creek and or Cardinal.