Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2018, 11:20 AM   #1

Driving Pickup & 5th Wheel vs MH

For those of you who have owned both a 5th wheel and Class A diesel MH and were planning on traveling from coast to coast over a period of 6 months which one of the two would you prefer to drive? Not the cost but just pure handling and enjoyment of traveling.
jstauffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2018, 11:27 AM   #2

MH, hands down. We had our 5ver for 17 years, so I'm speaking from a 5vers experience. With the MH, we do tow a toad, but you can't feel it back there, so we are free from the 'towing' feeling. The toad is so much more comfortable and easy to maneuver when sightseeing or shopping or whatever.

MH vs 5ver-for us, MH every time.

We also have towed a small TT cross country and back, and though it was very comfortable, again the MH wins (no washer/dryer in TT and we are DONE with laundromats. Not so bad in the college years, but we are beyond that now by a bit.

Good luck!
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:33 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
We had 2 fivers' previous and are now full timing in a MH.
For us, the motor home is MUCH more comfortable when driving and arriving.
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:39 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Driving down the road, either is fine. Pulling a 5er is no more effort than a MH. When it's time to stop for the night it moves way over to the MH.

Glenn
Old 03-20-2018, 11:42 AM   #5

Foretravel Owners Club
DP with tag every time.....
Down the road, DW can fix you a sammich and grab a cup of coffee for you while you are still traveling.
set up and break down of camp.Set up.. parking brake, punch the leveling button and you are done (no unhooking 5'r grabbing the leveling blocks.....dragging a gen set out of the back of your truck and hooking/refueling).. And just pull the plug and roll the hoses, punch a couple of buttons and you are set to roll....
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 12:19 PM   #6

Had both and will take motor home over 5er anyday. Easier in cold, Rainey weather. Less fuel stops. Pulled into a campsite this winter in Fl. Raining cats and dogs. Stoped set out slides and waited out the storm watching tv and wife reading a book.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 12:20 PM   #7

It mainly depends on which type of motorhome you drive. We went from a Ram 3500 dually pulling a 35Ft 5er to a 38Ft Tiffin Allegro gas motorhome we ordered in 2015. The living part of both 5er and gas motorhome was very similar. Driving went to the Ram 3500 by a long shot. It is just a lot more stable than a gas coach. Convenience to pull over when you want to get something to eat or use the restroom went to the Allegro. Not to mention how convenient it is for the copilot to do anything while still moving. Having a smaller drive around site seeing vehicle is a definite plus for a motorhome. Parking a motorhome is also a lot easier than a 5er.

We went to a DP, Newmar Ventana, the following year and it is the best of everything. Just costs a lot more and we didn't feel we were getting enough use to justify the money spent so we sold it. We will go back to a DP in a few years once the wife gets closer to retirement.
John (USAF Reti)/Cheryl (Teacher) Boo (15 year old cat), Billie (18mos cat), Ben (18mos cat), Beau (18mos cat). '20 Tiffin 32SA (Feb 2020 arrival); Past RVs: '16 Newmar Ventana 3709, '16 Tiffin Allegro 36LA, '14 EverGreen Bayhill 295RL, '12 Voltage V3200, '09 BigHorn 3400, '06 Jayco Octane, '04 Jayco Baja
JCGibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:01 PM   #8

Wife definitely prefers the motorhome and so do I. She likes being able to use the facilities any time without needing to find some place to pull over and so do I We have a gas mh and I have no problem with how it drives.
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:25 PM   #9

For me it depends on where we are going.
By that I mean, I enjoyed having the truck to just hit the market for supplies if needed.
Our 5ver was a toy hauler so we always had our motorcycles in the back could just drop the ramp and go anytime we wanted without much stress.

I miss that with the motor home as I still have to pull a trailer, or towd when traveling.

The motor home is much more comfortable going down the road, and all the convenient features mentioned are certainly worth considering.

I could go back to a 5ver if it had the systems our motor home has, if it’s a toy hauler, and I had a larger truck to pull it. The F350 did a great job, but I had it maxed out 100% of the time I pulled the toy hauler.

DW loves the motor home. She can stay in bed and watch tv while traveling, or do anything she wants without much of a problem. So going back to a 5ver is not in the cards for her.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoCoTom View Post
Wife definitely prefers the motorhome and so do I. She likes being able to use the facilities any time without needing to find some place to pull over and so do I We have a gas mh and I have no problem with how it drives.
This too.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:36 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
I agree with most of the sentiments above. We have had TTs and 5ers for 25 years, and changed to MH about 6 years ago. 1st MH was a 33' Safari built during the transition to Monaco ownership, and I was not happy with the stability at all compared to the Dodge dually with the 35' 5th wheel.

We traded the Safari in for a 40' Discovery, and it is night and day. Back to the same stability we had with the 5th wheel and dually.

The convenience, even with needing the toad (Smart Cabrio I don't know is there except for the rear camera) is hands down better with the MH. We travel to dog shows, and knowing that the fur kids are in good shape 5-10' back, instead of in the 5er and not visible, is another big point for us.

So, MH hands down PROVIDED you have one that is good and stable on the road (there are some that are not).

Mike
Old 03-20-2018, 03:37 PM   #12

We have had a 30' Class C, a 40' Class A DP, a 40' 5er ToyHauler, and now a 44' 5er ToyHauler.
The Class A was the nicest for traveling that's for sure, the conveniences already mentioned made it worth it if you plan on doing a lot of traveling.
Our problem was we always hauled our 2 Harleys with us and sometimes got stuck in crappy weather and didn't have a vehicle to drive, so we switched to a Toyhauler so we could use the truck if stuck in inclement weather.
The other problem we had was my wife for some reason did not feel comfortable with driving the MH, (I have a class A CDL, with tanker, doubles and triples endorsement, but do not drive a truck for a living) for some reason she felt that a CDL would make her more comfortable, but she will hook up the 44' Toyhauler to our Dually and take it all by herself and set it up and have it ready when I get there.
You really need to decide what kind of camping and traveling you are going to do to decide which one is best, most of our camping is going to one spot and setting up and staying a while so the 5er works fine, If we were moving a lot the MH would be the way to go.
When we retire, I think we will go back to the MH.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:47 PM   #13

We have truck & 5th wheel.

Looked at Toy Haulers but couldn't find a layout & year round living quality we wanted.

Decided to rent a cargo trailer for when we want to take our Goldwing for a sunny vacation between October & April to get away from the cold grey wet Pacific Northwest.
wingnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 04:09 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Had both (as well as a prior TT+SUV). A MH with air bags would win hands down for me. Can't get that kind of comfort ride with a truck (unless it's a MDT/HDT) nor the convenience of not having to go outside when making a quick stop for some zzzzz's at a rest area or other non-campground stop.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel