Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2014, 07:39 AM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Love this site never new about that law. I live in a state with no mountains...
Thanks for the lesson. I know now. Past OTR Trucker didn't know it back then either...
Thankyou,Tim

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2014, 08:01 AM   #16
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Well, now you know, and without a ticket at that!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:02 AM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Note some areas have the rule of pulling over with only 3 vehicles behind you. I have seen signs directing that in Montana. In general, it is always polite to pull over whenever you can when cars stack up behind you, even if you are going the "speed limit." Maybe the folks behind you are late getting to their kid's game or their job. I don't say "they shouldn't be driving that fast." I just let them do what they want/need to do and get out of their way.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:07 AM   #18

A good lesson learned and thanks for posting this for others knowledge. I knew about this law many years ago, and try to do this even on twisty roads when not in the mountains. Some times just pulling into a gas station or even a safe wide spot with my right blinker on (we are 50 ft with the car trailer). I usually get a few friendly waves when cars pass and this tends to offset the few really obnoxious tailgaters.

This doesn't mean we should cower at the side of the road - after all, it's our road too - just to offer courtesy when it's safe to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&SL View Post
... Yes, I did pass some pullouts that I might have fit in and should have stooped. We are about 58' long....

The way the law was explained to me (by the officer's supervisor), that any time that there are 5 or more vehicles following me I (by law ) have to stop at the first safe pullout and let all traffic by me (descending) or drive the posted speed....

I'm just telling what happened to me, a lesson learned for me..
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:33 AM   #19

We are currently driving around and through the beautiful state of Colorado and the awesome Rocky Mountains and I was not aware of the of this law. Thanks iRV2 posters for teaching a "old dog new tricks".
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:43 AM   #20

Had a similar situation many years ago in Washington state. It wasn't in the motorhome, but there were signs that clearly said to pull over if there were 5 or more vehicles behind.

Originally I thought it was for the log trucks slowing down traffic. I quickly found out the log trucks were the ones fastest ones on the road. It was the tourists that were slowing them down.

Even going the speed limit (55 mph) I found the trucks were stacking up behind us. When I pulled over they accelerated to 70+mph.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:44 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
For those of you who have never driven the road, it is an easy road to drive with my coach. I was overly cautious not knowing the road. As for pulling over, I did before the Park Ranger had his lights on and I doubt that the Park Ranger did anything with the ones that passed me. Yes it was a lesson learned.
As posted above.

I usually get a few friendly waves when cars pass and this tends to offset the few really obnoxious tailgaters.
C&SL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:01 AM   #22

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post
Sorry, but I agree with the officer, why were on that road in the first place. RV and Toad combination are not prudent for that route.

Fred
X2; I own a copy of the Mountain West Directory so I can evaluate routes before I drive them. It warns that US34 is an extremely steep and long descent going both east and west and is very challenging for large vehicles. When I encounter wording like that I normally choose to leave the MH at an RV park and see the sights using the toad--that's why I tow one.
docj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:16 AM   #23

Always appreciate courteous drivers that let us by.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:30 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
X2; I own a copy of the Mountain West Directory so I can evaluate routes before I drive them. It warns that US34 is an extremely steep and long descent going both east and west and is very challenging for large vehicles. When I encounter wording like that I normally choose to leave the MH at an RV park and see the sights using the toad--that's why I tow one.

I have the same directory. Have you driven on this road? It does NOT say (EXTREMELY) anywhere in the information on this pass.

Yes it says.
The westbound decent includes Fall River Pass and Milner Pass. Going west from Trail High Point the first 1 1/2 miles are 6-7 % downhill with 15 and 20 mph curves. The next are 5-6% uphill with 20 mph curves. From this point the next 12 1/2 miles are downhill at about 6% with many curves and 15 mph hairpin turns. During these 12 1/2 miles of decent you will pass the Alpine Visitors Center and Fall River Pass summit and Miner Pass summit.

(This is a long and step decent in either direction for large vehicles. Use caution and be sure equipment is in good order.)

As I have said it was an easy drive with my coach and my driving experience, and would do it again. This will be my last post on this topic.

I was hoping this post will bring information and awareness to other as it did to me, that is what iRV2 forums are about.
C&SL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:37 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

I'm just telling what happened to me, a lesson learned for me..
A cheap lesson learned at that.

The 5 car rule applies to any vehicle you may be driving. Be alert and count the cars. When you have 5 start looking for a pull-off. It may not be as wide and long as you may want but you don't necessarily have to be ALL the way OFF the highway to let any traffic stacked up behind you to pass.

Since my rig is over 70 feet long I am keenly aware of whats behind me and how many. Sometimes I don't wait for 5 cars to stack up, I will use a pull-out just because I don't like to inconvenience people behind me plus it's the courteous thing to do.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-24-2014, 11:14 AM   #26

Wyorancher, I think you and I are probably on the same page, as I have had to use that line, as did the Judge, in many court appearances too(even on more serious criminal acts). Anyway I think the OP started a good conversation here as there seem to be several who didn't know that was a law to begin with, so they learned something.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:21 AM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
One person's challenging is another person's easy. When you live in the mountains and have been driving them all your life, a 6% grade is nothing. Guide books can be useful but by necessity, they have to take a one size fits all approach. If you live on the prairies and seldom see anything more profound than a coulee, some mountain roads may seem pretty intimidating. For others, not so much. You yourself suggest you "normally" choose to use the toad. Does that mean not always? A guideline is just that. Useful information but the decision rests with the driver. Just as deciding whether a place is safe to pull over rests with the driver. I don't care who the authority is. At the end of the day, (s)he isn't driving the vehicle, aren't familiar with it and therefore isn't usually the best judge of what is safe and what isn't. That isn't to say that all drivers make the best decisions but if it is my ass on the line, I am going to take my own council before some Park Ranger who may or may not know the difference between his elbow and rectum. Unless you've owned and driven a large vehicle, you probably have little idea of how they handle and what is safe. I often suspect that many of the "impatient" drivers who get so irritated at larger vehicles have never sat behind the wheel of anything bigger that a Toyota. If they had, they would probably realize that when these vehicles are going slowly, it is for the safety of all including the "jerks" on the roads.

Don't get me wrong, I don't disagree with the 5 car rule but at the same time, I am not prepared to cede my decision making about where to safely pull over to anyone without having a pretty darned compelling reason.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:55 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Interesting thread. A couple of observations. And a question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
.... The correct violation would have been for the 5 or more cars behind you which may be a subsection of the impeding section. Either way the cars passing on the left is a bigger violation for obvious reasons, .....
The OP wasn't warned for driving too slowly, he was warned for obstructing. Several states have these laws. If there are 5 or more cars held back, you are, by definition, obstructing. The Ranger probably had to write it as "Operating too slowly/obstructing" because the two offenses are joined in their book, and the citation has to match the book. This was a Fed. They're anal about stuff like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
.... What about the fools that passed you on a double solid line? They should have received a real ticket with fine! ......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
X2 - Officer should have been after them.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
..... 1) why didn't he stop the ones who definately violated the law by crossing the double yellow on winding roads.....there is no question about that violation.

2) why not wait until the end of the downgrade to pull him over...
The Ranger made the right judgment call here. He had a problem (obstruction) that was causing a more dangerous result (lane violation). If he pursued the first lane violators, the ongoing obstruction would likely have continued to generate a greater number of lane violators as he continued downslope. The smart public safety move was to eliminate the obstruction problem at the earliest opportunity.

And finally....
Quote:
Well, got a written WARNING NOTICE from the National Park Ranger.... a written warning, for “Operating too slowly/obstructing” (exactly as spelled on ticket).......
You point out the spelling. Why?

JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote