Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2014, 12:04 PM   #43

Gulf Streamers Club
I did not see it mentioned here but this rule applies to going UP a grade also. If vehicles are stacking up behind you, pull over when it is safe. Whether you are going down a grade or up a grade.

ronspradley

Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2014, 12:15 PM   #44

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My practice is if I get cars behind me to take the first pull out, if I can't I take the first safe opportunity to move as far over as possible and slow down to aid in their passing. Going the speed limit does not deter impatience from following drivers.

njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:24 PM   #45

The problem is that despite good intentions there are a lot of places where one can do miles between safe pull offs. The longer the rig the harder it is. I just spent a couple of weeks in New England. Get off the super slabs and one runs a lot of 2 lane twisty with enough ditch or dropoff on the side to prevent pulling over. A lot of driveways are too small to pull in across. The latest trend with plaza's and gas stations is narrow curbed entrance and exit roads without enough turn room to even enter with something as short as our 30 ft C. That is why I wrote the other note. It's fine to say pull over when one gets 3 or 5 cars behind but there has to be a safe place to pull over whatever one is driving. If it is marginal pulling in may be worse than going on to the next one because one cannot get fully off the highway and back on again.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:28 PM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
That's correct. It applies to ANY two lane road in the country and Canada.

You are better off pulling over earlier versus later.

A perfect example of this law is on a very flat but long two lane picturesque road that meanders around Turnagain Arm in Alaska south of Anchorage.

Seward Highway is one of the deadliest highways in Alaska because of both impatient and ignorant drivers.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	turnagainArm.gif
Views:	36
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	74938  
Old 09-25-2014, 03:34 PM   #47

National RV Owners Club
I bet the Park Service will be nowhere to be found if while trying to comply with the pull over rule, you end up in a ditch.

The bottom line is that this doesn't have to be an absolute either way. Slower drivers should for courtesy reasons alone pull over to let others pass. However, no law in the world is going to make me do this if conditions are unsafe to do so IMO. I hope that my standards for the above are reasonable but there have been occasions where there absolutely has been no place to pull over safely and still drivers behind are impatient and seemingly oblivious to this fact. Their actions and attitudes constitute as much of a problem as the slower driver. Personally in this day and age, I would like to see more passing lanes incorporated into some of these highways that are known trouble spots. And before naysayers jump in and say it isn't possible, I live in the Coastal mountains where there are lots of two lane highways and some of the most unforgiving terrain for roads. Over the course of 40 years, most of those highways have seen regular and steady improvement in the area of giving people places to overtake. Rather than force some traffic off the road, why not give faster vehicles a safer place to overtake.
On a busy hwy day, you can find yourself pulling over ever 5 mins as each successive group of cars manages to catch up. And that is when you are doing the speed limit.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:53 PM   #48

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmweb View Post
Seems an over reach.

I just about ran over a guy on a motorcycle a few months ago on I-75. He pulled in front of me at highway speed and came to an abrupt near stop. I came within just a foot or two of hitting him. Had I not been paying close attention I would have run him right over and killed him. By law I would have been at fault, maybe?
2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
This is why I and many others have dash cameras that are activated anytime the ignition is turned on. I have one in all of my vehicles, not just the coach. A few close calls like this one:
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:13 AM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
I did not see it mentioned here but this rule applies to going UP a grade also. If vehicles are stacking up behind you, pull over when it is safe. Whether you are going down a grade or up a grade.

ronspradley

This is correct. Fortunately most long up grades, mountain passes, have 2 lanes. That sure makes the incline grades a no brainer.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:26 AM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
That's correct. It applies to ANY two lane road in the country and Canada.

You are better off pulling over earlier versus later.

A perfect example of this law is on a very flat but long two lane picturesque road that meanders around Turnagain Arm in Alaska south of Anchorage.

Seward Highway is one of the deadliest highways in Alaska because of both impatient and ignorant drivers.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Patrol officer in AK told me that the Seward hwy is bad because of a few problems. 2 lane road is major problem. He said what they have found with a study of fatal accidents on the Seward hwy is. 20 plus hours of daylight, people are leaving Anchorage in the early A,M, to run to a fishing port for their charter trip, spend the day in the hot sun, drink a few beers, and start the return trip to Anchorage many hours later (still daylight,why would they be tired?). They don't realize how fatigued they are and make VERY bad driving decisions. That is also why the Seward is the heaviest patrolled rural hwy in AK.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:30 AM   #51

Driving too slow down the mountain.

We just spent the summer in the land of the most unsafe passers we have ever encountered, Alaska. I kept the Milepost open on my lap the entire trip following mile by mile always looking for turnouts. My spouse does not like tailgaters and we diligently used pullouts if they were big enough for us to use. They were plentiful so we pulled over even if we had just one vehicle behind us, That did not stop the unsafe passers. Our closest call and I mean it was close was just outside Homer, AK where a pickup towing a huge boat could not wait until we came to a turnout and passed us on a double yellow line. We stopped our vehicle and so did the approaching car. Without that action, there would have been a serious head on collision. By the way, we were not on a grade, we were going the speed limit on good road with good visibility. Drivers pass on double yellow, blind curves, blind hill approaches, narrow bridges, you name it. It sounds to me that the OP pulled over at the first safe spot to do so. That should have clued the ranger that he was trying to get out of the way and did so as soon as he could. The ranger should have been more concerned with the unsafe passers.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:36 AM   #52

I think in the OPs case, it was easier to pull over the culprit than to try and catch the other passers. The OP said he could have pulled over earlier..and should have.........but didn't.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 10:40 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
We are currently driving around and through the beautiful state of Colorado and the awesome Rocky Mountains and I was not aware of the of this law. Thanks iRV2 posters for teaching a "old dog new tricks".
IMO only drivers with no common sense need a "law" requiring them to pull over and let faster moving traffic pass.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 09-26-2014, 11:31 AM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Heck with mountain grades... Heyer in TexUS,

"Slower traffic is URGED to move to the right"

MOST used to be courteous enough to move over on flat two lane roads...
let THEM get the speeding tickets instead of me
Old 09-26-2014, 01:02 PM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
A large part of the problem is we have become a society with a need for instant gratification. We have to have things right now.

I liken it to "Leaving 10 minutes late, trying to arrive 10 minutes early on a 10 minute drive". Where has the patience gone?

As has been pointed out earlier the downgrade was 9 miles. How much longer would it have taken driving down the hill at 27 instead of 35?

While everyone agrees we should pull over the very act creates another potentially serious risk. If I slow up will there be a rear end accident behind me. Turnouts are generally not very generous so I will have to start braking while on the roadway. Then I have to accelerate and merge back in creating another conflict.

Passing lanes are OK but generally turnouts are not well designed and even worse they are generally implented in less than ideal locations where sight distance may be an issue.

How long has it been since you have seen people arriving early? Our daughter drives like a banshee. Always running late. We have started to tell her dinner is a half hour earlier than it is in order to have her arrive on time. And we live 10 minutes from her house.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:12 AM   #56

U should not have to think about the law, Common courtesy is to pull over if u are holding up traffic!, regardless of speed.