Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2014, 03:58 PM   #57

If he doesn't feel safe navigating a 50,000 lb rig into a pull-out he has a right and a duty to continue until he feels it's safe to do so. Safety trumps "law", especially when the law is vague and subjective.

That said, I was been a 5th wheel in YNP where the guy would slow down for no reason and speed up every time I tried to pass him. Then, when I finally did get around him, he's flying down the 8% grades and twisty turns and tailgating me. When towing our FW, I always try to pull over and let people pass whenever I can.
cptgregger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2014, 05:51 PM   #58

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Driving too slow down the mountain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
John, following a slow moving vehicle on a winding downhill road is not a legal reason to cross the yellow line....
I never said that it was.

Quote:
.....In my 30 years+ in Law Enforcement I have had to pull more than a few dead or mangled people, kids included out of cars because someone couldn't wait and passed when it was dangerous or not allowed or something else stupid, and it's not fun......
With all due respect for your 30 years of service- and I mean that seriously- this is an emotion-based argument, and has no place in a rational discussion.

Quote:
I would bet if he had of stopped one of the cars passing illegally, all the others would have stopped doing it, thus eliminating getting rid of the obstruction theory as being the best solution. The obstruction was temporary and to be somewhat expected..... .
I disagree most strongly with this entire premise! It is completely wrong. Had the Ranger stopped one of the lane violators, the original obstructive motorhome together with all the cars following would fairly quickly have passed by the stopped vehicles. Now all the frustrated followers know that the Ranger is preoccupied and they now have free reign to solve the problem on their own. The motorhome, lacking confidence in his own ability to handle any of the pulloffs, would have continued all the miles to the bottom, generating a steady stream- perhaps 5, 10, 20,... -- of cars passing or attempting to pass on the curvy double yellow lined road. This is the result of the Ranger directly addressing what on paper would appear to be the more serious violation. But the Ranger elected to eliminate the problem rather than a small percentage of the ongoing results. Finally, with the obstruction removed the net speed of the whole traffic flow would have increased by 5 mph or so, eliminating for any impatient souls the practical advantage of any sort of passing.

So, by targeting a single lane violator-- the more serious violation in the book-- the problem becomes 5 to 10 times more dangerous. But by targeting the obstructor-- the source of the friction-- the problem AND its effects all go away.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 11:27 PM   #59

JFXG....WOW, and I thought this was a friendly site for people to learn from.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 11:54 PM   #60

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
JFXG....WOW, and I thought this was a friendly site for people to learn from.

It is! All I did was disagree with you. That's not unfriendly, it's discussion.
2004 Element
Old 10-01-2014, 12:27 AM   #61

Well if you knew me you would see that I'm very rational and my comment wasn't based on emotion, and we would probably agree on most stuff based on some other posts we have both replied on...but....passing on the double line is very dangerous on a mountain road, and again people could wait the 9 miles(again I always pull over when I can and it's safe). All of this is not worth anyone's life or even damage to their vehicles, just over a few more minutes on the road.There are always two ways(or more) to handle something.

Oh and my premise is not too far off, when they do selective traffic enforcement they do stop people to make a point so others will not do the same, for example I bet everytime you pass a CHP/State Trooper who has someone pulled over you at least check your speed and might even slow down for a while. And the problem doesn't go away just because the MH was stopped, as soon as that person who passed on the double yellow gets behind someone who isn't going as fast as they want them to, they will pass them too, and those people will continue to do that until they get a ticket or get in an accident. It's just the way some people are today, always in a hurry and they really don't care about your safety or anybody elses, you see people doing it everyday even when they are 10-20mph over the speed limit...Take care Mike
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:03 AM   #62

Winnebago Owners Club
A major part of the issue seems to be the irrational speeds that many people want to travel. I liken it to "leaving 10 minutes late and hoping to arrive 10 minutes early on a 10 minute drive"

Our society has become self agrandizing, self serving and self indulged. If you are traveling a road that is frequented by MH and has steep grades I would be leaving a few minutes early expecting to drive down the road at a reduced speed.

I expect we all know people who will let minor tasks distract them from leaving at a reasonable time, speed to their organized meeting or workplace and spend the first 20 minutes having coffee, chit chatting or texting the fellow across the table???

We have started telling our daughter dinner is half and hour earlier than we are plannning to serve. We may have to start telling her an hour!
Old 10-01-2014, 10:55 AM   #63

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
... Well if you knew me .... we would probably agree on most stuff based on some other posts we have both replied on....
I agree. We're just disagreeing on this specific circumstance as described by the OP.

Quote:
.....but....passing on the double line is very dangerous on a mountain road, and again people could wait the 9 miles.....
Yes, it is, and they could and should. No one is arguing that point; the only point of debate was the best way to handle the specific circumstance.

Quote:
..... I bet everytime you pass a CHP/State Trooper who has someone pulled over you at least check your speed and might even slow down for a while.....
You'd lose that bet, Mike! ;-)
1) I don't check because I already know how fast I'm going-- I pay attention to these things.

When I get on a highway I use my cruise (except in any dense flow, like rush hour). In a high speed flow, stability is safe. Initially I go a bit slower than pack speed, a few mph, until I'm between packs, then notch it up a bit to stay between. I'm sure you're familiar with "85th percentile speed".

2) I don't slow unless all the others do, forcing the issue. Anyone who thinks a Trooper is going to leave a stopped violator to pursue him/her without a strongly compelling reason to do so is really not thinking at all.

In my opinion, parking a Trooper beside a highway to slow the flow is a dangerous thing to do. Causing 100 drivers to suddenly hit the brakes, and then a hundred more, and a hundred more, ad infinitum, probably increases the likelihood of an accident. Sudden speed changes and sudden lane changes, intentional or accidental, are the proximate cause of large numbers of highway accidents. They are the two significant variables you want to ELIMINATE in a highway flow, not INCREASE. In a dynamic flow stability and consistency are king. With adequate spacing and identical speed you could run 1000 cars for 1000 miles and the probability of a collision would be near zero.

Stay safe!

2004 Element