Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2017, 12:06 PM   #15

Kudos LarWood! Wish you all the best!
gerdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2017, 12:10 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Maturity has it's benefits. You have made a good decision that makes it safe for everyone. The only decision left is whether it is worth the risk of getting surgery or continue with your life style as it currently is.

Not an easy decision I am sure but considering you have made a good one already I am sure the next one will be good as well.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:06 AM   #17

Happy Trails to you as you move forward to the next phase of life! We are such a vehicle centric, high mobility society that the thought of being unable to drive is quite frightening. I dread the day that comes for me or Debbie but hope I have the judgement you demonstrated to make the right decision! God bless and have a wonderful holiday weekend!!!!!
Old 07-02-2017, 06:10 PM   #18

Can I play devil's advocate without getting blasted?

LarWood made his decision based on his known medical issues but how many of us are driving around with problems that could be as catastrophic? A firend of mine is diabetic and, generally, has it under control but just last month he wrecked his car when his blood sugar dropped unexpectantly. Many have undiagnosed issues that could cause them problems. We must all make that decision to get behind the wheel, or not, every time we venture out.

Please all be safe and make responsible decisions!
Goofy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 06:23 PM   #19

AAA

As a 34 + year paramedic - I've seen MANY AAA's (abdominal aortic aneurysm) both tearing and burst -YOU will know when there's a problem ... the issue is (you should / will almost assuredly have time to pull over safely) the question is WHERE AREYOU... and do you have rapid access to emergency surgery. If that's what you want- bring lots of pain killers and alcohol cause you will die without (most likely) without surgery - but die happy.
CF-104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 06:24 PM   #20
Community Moderator

You might be able to hire a professional driver to take you and the motorhome to a new location several times per year. Might be worth it.....
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 06:49 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
You might be able to hire a professional driver to take you and the motorhome to a new location several times per year. Might be worth it.....
Most dealers have delivery drivers
Old 07-02-2017, 08:34 PM   #22

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarWood View Post
Thanks to all who replied, but I guess I should have made one thing clear... I have ALREADY stopped driving the motorhome... and have not taken a trip since last summer. Thanks to those who informed me that the emergency brake would NOT lock up the wheels. (It was a truck service manager that told me it would) Fixing the aneurysm is a bit difficult in my case, but I still may take that risk...and until I do, the motorhome stays in storage. So, feel free to drive anywhere you want... because I will NOT be on the road with you!
A little more on the emergency air brake handle, it dumps the air pressure and the brakes on just the rear wheels are applied by strong springs. Front wheel brakes or steering are not affected.

Thanks for discussing your situation, wish you all the best with the tough decisions ahead.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:22 AM   #23
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarWood View Post
Thanks to all who replied, but I guess I should have made one thing clear... I have ALREADY stopped driving the motorhome... and have not taken a trip since last summer. Thanks to those who informed me that the emergency brake would NOT lock up the wheels. (It was a truck service manager that told me it would) Fixing the aneurysm is a bit difficult in my case, but I still may take that risk...and until I do, the motorhome stays in storage. So, feel free to drive anywhere you want... because I will NOT be on the road with you!
Larry, I'm so sorry that your medical condition is forcing you to give up something you love, but you are making the right decision for yourself and others!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote