Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2012, 10:16 AM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Running ANY generator for a longtime unloaded or very lightly loaded could cause "threading" of the sliprings or comutator. Just my two cents

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2012, 01:05 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xjaywalker View Post
The past owner of our new MH said he always left the generator running, even while driving. This just does not make sense, but being new to MH's, I thought I would ask the question.
I had my diesel generator serviced, and the mechanic said he had seen one like it fail and need an engine rebuild at 20,000 hours. I think this would equate to about 1,000,000 miles. This was on a Blood mobile that ran the generator 8-10 hours a day. I hope this helps.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:15 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickBBD View Post
Depends upon what it was that he wanted to power. Some motorhome get better fuel economy running the house air condition and it certainly provides more cooling especially if it is a diesel genny.
I never thought of that. The engine A/C does reduce mileage, you can feel a difference as soon as the compressor kicks on. Thanks!!

Sheila
~ Salt Creek Recreation Area Olympic Peninsula, Washington ~
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:19 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
How do I achieve "50% load"

Okay, so it seems everyone agrees that the generator should be run at least monthly and most folks also agree that it should be run under "50% load." My question is: How do you put this load on your generator and how do I know if I'm achieving the mystical 50% threshold? If I have a 7k watt generator am I looking for appliances like space heaters that will eat up 3,500 watts of power or is that the wrong definition of "load?" Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:32 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by driedl View Post
Okay, so it seems everyone agrees that the generator should be run at least monthly and most folks also agree that it should be run under "50% load." My question is: How do you put this load on your generator and how do I know if I'm achieving the mystical 50% threshold? If I have a 7k watt generator am I looking for appliances like space heaters that will eat up 3,500 watts of power or is that the wrong definition of "load?" Any advice would be appreciated.
Run both air conditioners and you will have more than the required 50% load. Or if it's wintertime, then run two ceramic heaters, one on each circuit leg.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 01-23-2012, 01:40 PM   #20

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by POPPASMURF View Post
The generator was put into the MH for MY convenience and as such it will run as and when I safely need it. Were it to be run 100% duty cycle some of the irrelevant reasons of not to run it might even have some credence. I don't believe I have ever heard of anyone wearing their generator out. The biggest source of problems is probably from lack of service and then lack of use. I've never seen a genset with 4 to 5 thousand hours on it. Like most electro/mechanicals in our MH it is lack of use that is the bif killer.
Someone posted a picture of a MH gen set with 25,000 hours on it and said it was still going. It might be an internet legend though!
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:43 PM   #21

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Run both air conditioners and you will have more than the required 50% load. Or if it's wintertime, then run two ceramic heaters, one on each circuit leg.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Or run one heat pump on heat and the other on cool, then after about half an hour switch them around so they both get run in each mode.

We've done it when the dash air wouldn't keep up, last year the dash air quit completely and I haven't spent the $$ to get it fixed so maybe we'll run the gen more while driving.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:51 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Seldom dry camp so I find my summer generator exercise is accomplished when driving. Winter exercise is by use of two heaters.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:21 PM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
summer trips its on to keep us coooooool, make coffee, or brownies. DW even did chocolate chip cookies once. yum

winter it gets exercised 50% load....take a shower the water heater will put a load on it and if your like most....take a nice 10 minute one
let it run until the water heater kicks off, then let her idle a few minutes.

i run mine then go out and flip the breakers so it will idle down and cool a few minutes before shutting it down, when i have been exercising it.
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:09 PM   #24

Just so you know, 8 miles per gallon at 60 miles per hour equals 7.5 gallons per hour. Add 0.5 gallons per hour to run the censet, you have 8 gallons per hour which reduces your 8 mpg to 7.5 mpg. Or, drive six hours with genset on, burn 3 gallons, pay the man $12. Your money, your choice.
jmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:18 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmckinley View Post
Just so you know, 8 miles per gallon at 60 miles per hour equals 7.5 gallons per hour. Add 0.5 gallons per hour to run the censet, you have 8 gallons per hour which reduces your 8 mpg to 7.5 mpg. Or, drive six hours with genset on, burn 3 gallons, pay the man $12. Your money, your choice.
Religious Bovines! What is it they say about figures don't lie but ... . Soooooo many variables in your calculations I would NOT take them to the bank. I get what you are attempting to say but seriously.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:26 PM   #26

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The "experts" say it's about a push between the generator and running the dash air. Our 8Kw gen takes .72 gph at full power. That's not much, and even less with both heat pumps running since I can run both on them on 30 amps, or less than 3,600 watts.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:37 AM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I know why we run generators while driving; for all the reasons mentioned and more. However the OP suggest the previous owner ran the generator "all the time" while driving as if it was a habit and not filliing some purpose or need.

A liberal use of the generator IMHO is fine and even prefered---but to run it "every time". Hmmmm I wonder precisely what the previous owner really had in mind?

By the same token it is not going to hurt anything ( a modest reduction in mileage) and as many have observed it can be good for the generator. A good well run and maintained generator last and last and last; but they die of neglect for sure.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:36 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well I don't know why it would be on all the time but that was his decision I guess. It doesn't hurt to run the genny while on the road. We do it in situations where we may need to run the roof a/c units to help with cooling.

Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator