Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2014, 10:21 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Question Drop Light in Wet Bay

I never camp in freezing temps, but some friends convinced us to go camping with them next month where it will be below freezing. Iíve read posts where members suggest placing a 100W drop light in the wet bay to prevent freezing of the water lines. I have two drop lights but they are both rated for 75W bulbs only. Will a 75W bulb create enough heat for this purpose?

Thanks.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2014, 10:41 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Craig, I would not trust a 75W bulb to put out enough heat. Where are you going to plug it in? I don't think any manufacturer puts a 120VAC outlet in the wet bay for safety reasons.

Harbor Freight has a small 12VDC heater/defroster that might do the trick for you!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:44 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Probably. In addition, you could plug a second bulb into the outlet on the drop light. Does your wet bay also have heat from the furnace duct? Also consider a remote thermometer in the wet bay to monitor.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:01 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
With my coach, a 75Watt trouble light kept temps above freezing as long as the outside temps were above about 10F. When they started dropping lower than that, I put a second 75Watt light in there and I was fine down to about 0F. It will depend on how well your wet bay is insulated, the size of the space, etc. I put a remote thermometer in there and can monitor it from inside the coach. That allows you to experiment.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:04 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just remember, you ain't gettin anymore 100 watt bulbs that will put off any appreciable amount of heat.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:32 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhly View Post
Just remember, you ain't gettin anymore 100 watt bulbs that will put off any appreciable amount of heat.

Target: Soft White 100-watt Light Bulbs 4-pk. : Target

Lowes: Shop SYLVANIA 2-Pack 100-Watt A21 Medium Base Soft White 3-Way Incandescent Light Bulbs at Lowes.com

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:39 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Better buy all you can get. Read in the news a couple of days ago that they will not be manufactured anymore.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:53 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It's Happening

I don't know about the rest of the country but where I live you can no longer even buy 40-60-75 and maybe even 100w incandesants anymore.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:13 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks

Thanks everyone for your replies. My wet bay does not have ducted heat from the furnace, but it does have a 110 outlet as well as a 12V outlet. I considered a small heater as suggested but I prefer to keep it simple, as I will only need to do this once a year at the most. I have two compartments that need to be heated - the wet bay and the compartment next to it, as thatís where the fresh water pump is located. There is an opening between the two compartments to accommodate the water line to the pump, so there is plenty of room to fish the plug for a second drop light into that compartment as well. I have a remote thermometer that I can throw in there too.

Harbor Freight has a 100W drop light for $13, so I guess thatís my next step. 100W bulbs are still available but theyíre not as easy to find as they use to be, thanks to our politicians. They are still widely available on the internet. Amazon has a 100W rough service bulb for $2.

Thanks again everyone.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:25 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I did not see this before I posted "Keeping your water/plumbing bay warm"...in RV Systems and Appliances section.

This was about a 110V, 18 watt gun safe heater.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:27 PM   #11

I used a 100w drop light in my wet bay and it didn't keep things from freezing.

I don't know about your coach but my floor is plastic with little drain holes spread out. Not insulated at all (floor). My basement is heat ducted but I use an additional electric heater in the basement to help out.

I also use a small electric heater in there to keep things from freezing. I run the cord out the bay to the campground electric post so it's not passing through my coach and limiting my electric use in the living areas.
sctdixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:38 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
I use a clamp light and 100w "tuff" service bulb. Bulbs were available as of yesterday but don't know if they can re-stock. Local store had only a few 40 & 60 watt normal incandescent bulbs remaining.

Bayco 8" Super Clamp Light: Camping : Walmart.com

FWIW- I checked temps (IR temp gun) for the holding & FW tanks this week. After an overnight at 18deg, Furnace set at 55, FW tanks 44deg and holding tanks 42. Water lines at bottom of wet bay at 33.4. I had the reflector facing up toward the holding tanks, will now focus more onto the water lines. I was concerned about how effective the heat ducted into the underneath actually was.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:49 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
I have one of those with a 100W bulb right by the water heater bypass plumbing, in the wet bay I have a 200W forced air heater. I plug both into a temperature sensitive switch. Seem to work well for our mild temps here.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Craig, I would not trust a 75W bulb to put out enough heat. Where are you going to plug it in? I don't think any manufacturer puts a 120VAC outlet in the wet bay for safety reasons. Harbor Freight has a small 12VDC heater/defroster that might do the trick for you! Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
I have a GFCI outlet in my wet bay. Came that way from the manufacturer. Also on my previous two coaches (same manufacturer).