Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2006, 11:58 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
I know this has been looked at before, but our current insurer on the RV(used a few months out of a year) is Progressive, and our insurer on our automobile and pickup is on a separate policy with Progressive. We have recently become aware of their support of ACLU, and object to that organization. Can anyone suggest another company that has reasonable rates? I'd appreciate anyones response.

Nancy

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2006, 11:58 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I know this has been looked at before, but our current insurer on the RV(used a few months out of a year) is Progressive, and our insurer on our automobile and pickup is on a separate policy with Progressive. We have recently become aware of their support of ACLU, and object to that organization. Can anyone suggest another company that has reasonable rates? I'd appreciate anyones response.

Nancy

Old 01-09-2006, 12:14 PM   #3

Jayco Owners Club
I've been with Farm Bureau for 20+ years and they are always within 5% of any quote I get. For me, 5% is ok because the local agent is a great guy raising a bunch of great kids and he is a positive force in the community.

His name is Jeff Albers just in case any of the upper management poops are on this forum.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 12:20 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
First, welcome to iRV2.com! We're glad you found us.

Rates are likely to vary significantly by state, so our good experience may not be shared by anyone else. Living in Harris County, where Houston is located, we had seen our car insurance rates with State Farm (who also carried our RV policy) skyrocket despite a clean claim history and no tickets. We saved a significant amount of money by going to Good Sam VIP (underwritten by GMAC) for our automotive and RV insurance. A side benefit is that Good Sam VIP provides a 5-year full replacement benefit for the RV.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 03:04 PM   #5

I just switched from State Farm to AAA for home/auto and RV. My agent looked at the State Farm policy and said I was so under-insured it wasn't funny. I got a much better policy at a third of the price.

Bottom line I guess is to shop around and talk to as many companies and agents as possible and go with the best value!

Good luck!

Wife and kid maybe friends, maybe pets, maybe not, lost look in face,
rhoevinbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 03:34 PM   #6

My wife and I have had the same insurance on our house,2 trucks and camper for over 17years. I have had many co.s give us quoats telling us that they could save us money while maintaing the same coveages. Well after 17 years we still have yet to find anyone who can beat there rates By the way we keep coverage on our camper all year round and pay our whole policy amount one time a year instead of quarterly or monthly tis also save you a little bit

2006 30 ft Cherokee TT
j2detoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 11:37 AM   #7

Progessive tried to hike up $1500 a year, for 3 years, because my wife got a ticket for 40 in a 30. They did that after a quote when we added a new car. Considering the hike and the failure to honor a quote we had in hand, we switched to Geico and paid les for a more valuable car, and still pay less when we upgraded to a more valuable RV. That was less than our rates we were paying before the attempted hike.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:19 PM   #8

We changed to Motorist Mutual about 2.5 years ago. We have home, auto and RV with them. We did have USAA (for 26 years)until 9 years ago when they told us they would insure our new home until after it was built, then said no they wouldn't insure us. We changed to Nationwide, but they raised our homeowners insurance from $425 to $1139 over a 4 year period with no claims ever made on it. That's when we went to Motorist Mutual and have been happy so far.

I researched numerous insurance companies before we changed.

Good luck.

Frank
Old 01-11-2006, 04:47 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Nancy,

Thank you for feeling the same way about the ACLU. This is truely and organization that is **** bent on destroying this country from with in. The actions by the Officers and Staff of this organization reflect a hatefull communist agenda which has no place in our society today.

radarr
Old 01-11-2006, 05:07 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Nancy,
While at a dealer show in Louisville this past December, we came across Twin Peaks RV Insurance Company of Florida and had the opportunity to discuss our insurance needs with them. It was interesting, because a lot of folks think that they can us auto insurance to cover a Motor Home; this is not true. A good Insurance Company that handles RV Insurance, will write insurance policies specifically designed for the vehicle to be insured. Motor Home insurance must contain certain elements that are not found in auto insurance. With out these elements, the insurer will face risks that would be very costly.

Twin Peaks, isn't outside/down the street from a major RV Manufacture. Though, they are based in one of our country's largest RVers playground; they have extensive experience and knowledge when it comes to writting all type of RV insurance policies, which are best suited for the Insurer.

I suggest you give them a call at
800-507-8467 and have them explain the differences between policies and insurances companies.

radarr