Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2010, 07:36 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbike View Post
I have a question on the Rules of Etiquette for overnight stay in a parking lot. I don't understand the reason for, 4. Avoid using slide-outs if at all possible. Maybe this is because with the design of our RV the slides must be extended to access the bedroom and makes it very hard in the dining/living area to access the area.
I fully agree with you and we use the slide outs all of the time. It makes no sense to me not to use the slide outs. Whoever came up with that one needs to re-assess (spelling) their ideas.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2010, 12:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
So if everyone followed that rule, then no one would ever stay overnight!
Just my own personal preference!

WhenIm64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:53 PM   #17

The answer is NO slides, NO awnings and NO chairs outside. The privilege of spending a night in a commercial parking lot is a wonderful gift. It's not a camp ground. If you must use slides please choose a camp ground. People who abuse the privilege could very easily ruin it for all RVers. The RULE of thumb is this...Don't do anything to attract attention. Again it is NOT a free camp ground...it's a parking place. Happy Trails....
Old 10-10-2010, 02:28 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMMINGBIRD View Post
The RULE of thumb is this...Don't do anything to attract attention. Again it is NOT a free camp ground...it's a parking place. Happy Trails....

This is the whole point....There is a difference between a parking lot and a campground.

ken
Old 10-10-2010, 02:45 PM   #19

If I stay at a Walmart, I might extend the bed slide to get my at our drawers but then it is retracted for the night. At Fred Meyers I leave the bed slide out only if it is over the curbing. We don't feel like getting the sudden wakeup of someone too close hitting the slide.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:33 PM   #20

Quote:
I might extend the bed slide to get my at our drawers
Don't you wear your drawers during the day also? Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:03 PM   #21

In our Class A we kept the slides in. Now our new 5RV prevents access to the bedroom with the slides in. I don't see a problem if the management doesn't.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:09 PM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ah! nice to see this thread is still current
Just back from a two week jaunt. Did 3 overnights at different Wal Marts in two Provinces. I ask permission and the answer is always the same "Park Away from the Store" meaning park where regular customers do not park, around the lot perimeter. This is usually where the spaces are at their most level best. This also brings to mind Rule 4 Avoid using slide-outs if at all possible.
If it's not possible to get along without the slide then by all means " Extend Them"
If you are parked along the perimeter (away from the store) there is usually an island or grass covered divider area that you can extend the slide over that causes no inconvenience to anyone.

There was only one time for us that a WM didn't feel right, and to enforce the urge to move on (at 11:30 PM) was a clanking diesel rig that the driver left running (probably for the AC). It might have been OK as there were a few trucks there (overflow from the Flying J) but the store had turned all the Parking lot lights off. so we left for another Wally.
IF it doesn't feel safe, don't stay.
Cheers
Willey
WilleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 07:14 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
We rarely stay at a truck stop/rest area/Walmart. On those occasions that we do we need to put the bedroom slide out. I can't imaging how an 18" slide could make that much difference. Additionally, at our age, crawling across one another to get out of a king bed is not very easy and unnecessary.

Dave
Old 10-11-2010, 11:31 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
As I stated above, I can not access our bedroom with the bedroom slide in. The one & only time I stayed in a WM parking lot there were 4 of us, 2 couples. The Front slide had to be opened to allow the foldout bed to be opened. We only have the 2 beds, no other means of sleeping unless you sleep in a chair. No booth that converts, ect, ect. So for those of you that may see a RV with the slide outs out, just think for a moment that this may be the only way these people can use thier beds before you cross judgement.
I totally agree that the priveledge of staying at a WM or the likes is exactly that, a priveledge. But I disagree with the slides out being wrong. Each to thier own opinion I guess. Now on the subject of this being a parking place, then under that philosphy, you should park the RV & go stay in a hotel. I know it is not a campground, it is however a place the managment or property owner has realized that this is a benifit to both the customer & the bussiness and allows overnight usage of thier parking are for sleeping or rest. I do not or would not set up chairs or put out my awning , fire up my grill, ect, ect. ( but come think of it the grill part would have me buying some good steaks & other meal items from the WM & spending even more money in thier store. LOL)
Old 10-11-2010, 12:56 PM   #25

Well look at the terrible folks... there they are sitting out in their chairs. Just shocking!

Oh wait... that's us! Oh yeah... we had campgrounds just begging us to stop in! The 40 ft bus was used as a moving van and it was packed to the ceiling (David slept in it on an air mattress on the floor) Stacey & I slept in the Class C. That was our hot dog cart (as it looked last summer).

It was July 3rd and it was HOT! So yes we sat outside in the cooling(?) evening after eating supper at the Chinese Buffet in the same parking lot. I see nothing wrong with sittingoutside in the folding chairs. I have a bigger problem with the slides but not because it "looks bad" but because I have seen so many "near hits" when they are extended in the parking areas and not over the grass/medians. No awnings because they take up so much room but I have sen awnings extended over the grass with pets under them in the shade. As for the grill... a steak bought at Wally World (or where ever you are parked) and cooked on the gas grill... is that really so bad. Here Wally World roasts those @#$%^ green chilis in the parking lot...I'm allergic and it bothers me. So why can't I cook a burger or steak in the grill in their parking lot... that I bought from them... on the gas grill that I bought from them... using the LP gas that I bought from them?

You know, I have decided to just simply ask the store manager when I park in a parking lot if I can sit in my chairs, cook on a grill (something that I bought from them)... no wait, I don't want to cook while I'm traveling... I just stick with sitting in my chairs and running my generator to watch my redbox movie! The Unofficial Parking Lot Police can just stuff it!
Old 10-11-2010, 06:52 PM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
Well look at the terrible folks... there they are sitting out in their chairs. Just shocking!

~~~~~~ Snip~~~~~~
OH! my! the bounders, the nerve of them. where are the Wal Mart Police when you need them?

Cheers
Willey
WilleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:56 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
The answer is NO slides, NO awnings and NO chairs outside
If room permits there is no problem with putting out the slides, awnings, and chairs.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:01 PM   #28

The whole theory here that has been pretty faithfully followed for decades is that they allow us to stay and park in their lot. The idea here is not to look like we are camping to their other customers. People abusing this privilege (not a right) will end up ruining it for all of us. Please just park at Wal-Mart, don''t camp.