Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2010, 08:43 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
We so stop at Walmarts on occasion. I always check to make sure it is ok, even if I see other RVs there. I also have to put our bedroom slide out about 7 inches to get our over length mattress to unfold so it is not in a sitting bed position. It is just past the awning rail so it is not really sticking out much. We have set out in the shade if it is hot but don't extend the awning or jacks. I always try to park so the steps are next to the curb. Last summer, I think it was Whitehorse, Yukon, we stopped at a Walmart and when I asked the Asst Mgr said that there was a policy about no parking in there lot by the city. He went on to say it is private property and please make ourselves at home. There were already a half dozen RVs in the lot. We ended up parking against the curb and the other couple was in front of us right next to a "No overnight parking allowed" sign. There was another behind us. The police drove through several times and just waved to everyone.

goldwingerx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2010, 08:50 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
The idea here is not to look like we are camping to their other customers. People abusing this privilege (not a right) will end up ruining it for all of us. Please just park at Wal-Mart, don''t camp.
I might be mistaken but it sounds like you are asking me to give up my privilege of parking at Walmart with my slides out and enjoying some sun the next morning sitting in my lawn chair so that you wont lose your privilege of doing the same minus slides and lawn chair. Sounds like a selfish request and consider it denied. This is a touchy subject.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:37 PM   #31

What the large majority of RV'er have been doing for years is to try to not camp at Wal-Mart, but to park at Wal-Mart. Unfortunately there is a small percent of selfish folks who will eventually ruin it for everybody. Wal-Mart is now being sued by a camper who was assaulted in the parking lot and if this turns into a big monetary award then we will all be out of luck. Many of the Wal-Marts not allowing overnight parking are due to city ordinances that could easily have been caused by folks abusing the hospitality all sprawled out and obviously camping instead of parking.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:51 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Unfortunately there is a small percent of selfish folks who will eventually ruin it for everybody
Most Rvs today that park at Walmart do use their slide outs. So it really all depends on where you draw the line on being selfish.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:26 AM   #33

That has not been my experience at all, but I have noticed that more and more RV’ers do use slides as more folks get into the Rving family ignore the traditions and etiquettes that go all the way back to Sam Walton who was an avid family camper even before there were RVs. When folks get on an internet board and nastily say they have the right to do what ever they wish in Wal-Mart parking lot. This makes the locals realize there is camping going on in their neighborhood. Showing a little respect for the privilege we are afforded is not hard at all. Just park and don’t camp, We have about 100 nights or so at various Wal-Marts before and after slides were introduced. Just use a little common sense. How many of these local prohibitions were started by a city councilperson driving by and seeing camping going on in their town? I know of one as it is my former home town.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:51 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
You may think we are being nasty but all we are doing is defending ourselves from people who think they know best for us and are trying to push their beliefs and values down our throats. I would ask that you show some respect for people who don't agree with your silly etiquettes.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:17 AM   #35

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Just my two cents but "slides outs" are not the issue when it comes to the camping vs just spending the night issue, there are many more factors involved that need to be considered. We will all ways be a target for some folks.
mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:11 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
There are actually people that knock on Rv doors to preach there idea of etiquette ( by handing them a card of etiquette printed by the FMC or others) only to the so called offenders. This is just one step short of vandalism and violence. These people really have to mind there own business before things do get ugly. Stop selfishly worrying about losing your Wally privileges and do something good for someone other then your self. You may feel better.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:23 PM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
LET ME FIND MY SOAP BOX............

As i have said earlier in this post ....... ''When I am 'on the run', like going home, we will sometimes sleep at Walmart or in a Truck Stop. I usually pull in after nine o'clock and leave around seven am.......
Here is what I dont understand from posts in this fourm....
1. ''I extend my slide and set out my chairs and cook on the grill, under my awning, because I bought steaks or burgers from Wall World and they owe me this privileged
BULL SQUAT......... IF YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO OVENITE IN THE GAS STATION WHERE YOU ''TOPPED OUT''...
What you are doing is ''CAMPING'', not over nighting. If you want to ''CAMP'' to to a KOA and pay the price.

2. '' I only extend my slide far enough to get into bed.'
'....
PIG POOP. IF YOUR COACH IS SO BIG THAT YOU HAVE TO ''EXTEND YOUR SLIDE'' TO GET INTO BED YOU SHOULD HAVE MONEY ENOUGH TO GO TO THE KOA AND RENT A SPOT.

3. ''We had four people in the coach and we had to extend the slides so everyone would have a place to sleep.
HORSE APPLES. IF YOU HAVE FOUR PEOPLE YOU SHOULD GONE TO A KOA AND RENTED A SPOT AND SPLIT IT 4 WAYS.....
4. ''I dont extend my slides only far enough for them not to be a HAZARD to passing graffic. Duuuuuuah They are not a ''hazard'' to you because you are ''INSIDE THE COACH''...............
CHICKEN SQUAT....... SOME DRUNK OR SOME SEMI WILL REMOVE YOUR ''SLIDE'' IF YOU ARE UN LUCKEY. THIS IS A PARKING LOT..... NOT A CAMPGROUND.....
5. ''I only extend my step when I park.
ICKIE POO...... MY STEP HAS A SWITCH ON IT AND WHEN I OPEN THE DOOR THE STEPS COMES OUT.......... WHEN I SHUT THE DOOR ,,,,, THE STEP GOES IN. WHY THE HACK ARE YOU LEAVING YOUR STEP OUT WHEN YOU ARE IN THE COACH.
6. ''Wall Mart owes me the camping privilege because I shop there when I spend the night....
''BULL FEATHERS''.. IF YOU HAVE SUPPER AT BOJANGLES OR MC D.S'' OR IF YOU SHOP AT UNCLE WIGGLIES COMBINATION HAIR SALON, TIRE STORE, BEAUTY PARLOR, NAIL SALON, BEER JOINT, CAFE, AND CONVINCE STORE, DOES ''UNCLE WIGGLIE'' OWE YOU A ''OVERNITE PARK''?

Please, for Gods sake, STOP MAKING EXCUSES FOR YOUR SELFISHNESS CONCERNING A PRIVILEGED THAT A FINE COMPANY EXTENDS TO US AS MOTOR HOME PEOPLE. THIS GREAT PRIVILEGE CAN BE STOPPED WITH THREE WORDS......NO OVERNIGHT PARKING.... AND EVENTUALLY IT WILL HAPPEN THANKS TO A FEW SELFISH, CHEAP AND SHORT SIGHTED PEOPLE LIKE YOU........

While on one trip I saw a clown with three slides out, his awning extended, four chairs our, one grill our and a dog on a chin. He was also emptying his gray water tank on the parking lot. He was taking at least six parking spots. Him and his ''old lady'' finally came back form sight seeing I told him that he should not empty his gray water in the parking lot and he told me to ''mind my own business''. I took pix and gave it to the store manager. They came out and made him leave and thanked me.
He called me a S.weet O.ld B.oy and I made reference to his heritage in Navy terms and I invited him to a game of checkers where one of us would get ''crowned''........ He declined and left.....

I YIELD THE SOAP BOX ..............CJ.........
(I also put on a helmet because I know I am gonna ''catch some stuff'' about my statements...)
Old 10-12-2010, 12:25 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ahhh, the wonderful world of "Wally World" parking!!! Everybody has their .02 cents worth to throw in...and here's mine....I for one see nothing wrong with slides being out AS LONG as you're not blocking traffic or causing a problem, and all of the Wally World mgrs I've talked to have agreed with me. They just ask for me to park away from the building toward the far end of the lot, with the trucks... I park next to the curb, put out the slides on that side over the grass area and chill out for the night.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:38 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seajay View Post
LET ME FIND MY SOAP BOX............

2. '' I only extend my slide far enough to get into bed.''....
PIG POOP. IF YOUR COACH IS SO BIG THAT YOU HAVE TO ''EXTEND YOUR SLIDE'' TO GET INTO BED YOU SHOULD HAVE MONEY ENOUGH TO GO TO THE KOA AND RENT A SPOT.
Hey Seajay, maybe the reason they can afford one of those "Big coaches" is that they put their money into their coach instead of the local KOA!

Putting all fun aside, if I don't put out my back slide I can't get into my back bath room.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:21 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
Putting all fun aside, if I don't put out my back slide I can't get into my back bath room.

Your ''BACK BATH ROOM''.. (indicating there is one in the ''front'') God how you must suffer with only two bathrooms. Let me see........ MONACO.... hummmmm? You gotta be 44 foot DP probably half a mill at least and you are parked at Wal Mart to save a camping fee. If I had a MONACO I would be parked on the front row of a KOA blowing the air horns half the night so people would notice me......
Here is your .02 cents back ....... You may need it ....
Old 10-12-2010, 01:42 PM   #41

It isn’t about anybody’s values at all. It is about preserving our privilege for everybody. Guys that go in and make a bid deal about lawn chairs, awnings, slides, and the rest have already made cities ban overnight at Wal-Mart and are going to continue to get more Wal-Marts closed. This is so easy to understand, I just fail to see how people can be so self-centered as to be willing to screw-up the privilege for all of us. Being respectful of Wal-Mart is not hard at all.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:25 PM   #42

Excuse me but I ASK PERMISSION to sit out in our chairs. I ask the manager.. not the door greeter, not the cashier, not the guy standing out in the parking lot.

I never said they OWED me any such thing. I do not think that I am privileged. I do think that I am capable of walking into a store and asking... "May I speak to your manager?". "Hi, We are out in your parking lot and we have an RV. Would it be okay if we stay overnight in your parking lot?" "Where would you like us to park at?" "Would it be okay if we sit outside the RV in our folding chairs?" "Thank you." and then we go shopping for "stuff". If there is a problem, don't you think the manager would have heard about it.

I used to know the assistant manager of the Super Wal-Mart in Kimball, TN (I-24 Exit 152). I had asked him about the RVing stuff. He said they WELCOMED Rvers because they spent so much money with them. And that His Wal-Mart didn't care if RVers parked overnight or for a week as long as they didn't leave a mess. He said that was the attitude of most Wal-Marts that had plenty of parking. He said the RV bans came from campground owners almost without exception. He had an RV and was planning a trip to a big training week for managers... Guess where he was going to stay.... WalMart... both at his destination AND on his trip.