Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2010, 01:42 PM   #43

Do you go downtown and ask the mayor if it OK? This I know for a fact that this was the reason it got banned in my old home town. When local politicians drive by and see folks CAMPING in the Wal-Mart parking lots, this how many of these ordinances get passed. Look, I am not going to continue to argue with you about it. It is plain to see, but you want to see only your selfish side and this ends up hurting us all.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2010, 01:56 PM   #44

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
The whole theory here that has been pretty faithfully followed for decades is that they allow us to stay and park in their lot. The idea here is not to look like we are camping to their other customers. People abusing this privilege (not a right) will end up ruining it for all of us. Please just park at Wal-Mart, don''t camp.
Lindsay, it looks like you need to do it your way and leave it to the others to do it the way they want to do it. There is no way that everyone will do the sme thing. I personally will stop and ask the management if I can park. I will put the jacks down and the slides out. I will watch TV and I will run the generator as needed. I won't put the awning out and I probably won't put the chairs out but will if I want to. I think it is time to stop this thread.
Bill
Old 10-12-2010, 02:07 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
...I think it is time to stop this thread.
Bill
Ditto. This is the last post for me on this thread.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:52 PM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I told him that he should not empty his gray water in the parking lot and he told me to ''mind my own business''.
This is exactly my point. Somone crossing the line by approaching a total stranger and preaching what he should and shouldn't do. This guy gave you good advice.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:13 PM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
OK Ad nauseam, Ad naseam, so let's stop beating each other up. We will not change everyone's idea of what is proper. What is missing here is rather than spending time and energy trying to harpoon each other take a couple of minutes, contact Walmart corporate directly and tell them how much you appreciate their hospitality.
I have provided a link and also a copy of my simple but direct message to them.
We are squabbling back and forth and no one has thought to include Walmart by thanking them for the privilege.

Walmartstores.com: Feedback

As an Recreational Vehicle traveler I would like to extend my thank you to Walmart for allowing folks to overnight at most of your Walmart locations. It is much appreciated and while I know a few take advantage of this privilege I also know most people are aware that there is a certain amount of etiquette that should maintained. When staying over night at Walmart we most likely will spend on average between $ 50.00 and & 75.00 resupplying with groceries or other goods.
Again thank you
Stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:42 PM   #48

Wow…when I originally asked this question I had no idea it would be such a “hot topic”. All be it slides in or slides out appear to be the controversy, As a newbie I see the obvious solution as such….It sounds like everyone agrees it proper to ask permission with the store manager before over-night-ing so logic would suggest you would also ask if it’s Ok to slide slides or not. I would think if the manager didn’t have a problem, then it shouldn’t be a problem.

2003 Fleetwood Discovery 38T Pusher
Cdn-Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:11 PM   #49

I'm going to repeat myself. Only because I think this is the easiest way to use the Walmart hospitality. There's nothing to get angry about.

"
When we stay at Walmart overnite my brain says, "thank you thank you thank you". Keep thinking like that and you will be a good Walmart overnighter. Now my wife says, "OMG he'll be in there for a couple of hours at least". She really does say that. Learn the limits Walmart puts on overnighters and obey the rules. As Martha (Stewart that is) says, "It's a good thing".
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:10 PM   #50

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
The folks that don't want us to spend the night at Wal-Mart will call it camping weather we put our slides out or not. To them if we are sleeping we are camping. And to all who raise the "you spent all that money for your rig your just to cheap to go to a camp ground" argument, once again it's not about the money it's the convenience.
mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:46 PM   #51

Hopefully I won’t get jumped on again by some of the folks who think they can do anything there. It has been going on about 10 years or so back when almost all Wal-Marts were available. There was a set of etiquette rules posted by folks such as Escapees, FMCA, and the like asking to preserve the privilege at all of these free spots to just look like you were parked rather than camped. Maybe somebody will post a link to this list. It is all just common sense. Things like putting down your jacks into hot asphalt and putting out your awnings were on it. When slides came out in the late 90’s they were included. Most of the nopark Wal-Mart’s are because of city regulations or Wal-Mart not owning the parking lot. These city regulations come from over zealous city officials seeing the camping and thinking we are “trailer trash” or campground owners getting mad about losing the revenue. The whole idea is to avoid the appearance of camping and to just look like your are parked. The idea is to preserve the privilege for all of us. I continue to be amazed when I see folks happily posting pictures of themselves out in lawn chairs and obviously camping. As problems occur, more and more Wal-Marts and other free and easy in easy out expressway businesses will become off limits. We are just wanting to preserve it as personally I like to drive up, sleep, replenish groceries, gas up, and head out all in one easy stop. I saves me an hour or two when I am in a hurry. I think it is a small percentage who really abuse the privilege, but that might be all it takes. The slides in are to keep city officials and campground owners quiet.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:48 PM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seajay View Post
Putting all fun aside, if I don't put out my back slide I can't get into my back bath room.

Your ''BACK BATH ROOM''.. (indicating there is one in the ''front'') God how you must suffer with only two bathrooms. Let me see........ MONACO.... hummmmm? You gotta be 44 foot DP probably half a mill at least and you are parked at Wal Mart to save a camping fee. If I had a MONACO I would be parked on the front row of a KOA blowing the air horns half the night so people would notice me......
Here is your .02 cents back ....... You may need it ....
That's right Seejay, I do have a half-bath up front...but if I want to take a shower then I have to get into the back bath....Actually the coach is a DP 44'11" and it was "north" of the half a mill figure...so yes, I'll take the .02 back if you don't want it...

Seejay, when the day finally comes that you can get a Monaco, I hope that you will refrain from blowing your air horns for half the night at the local KOA, I'm sure your neighbors will think that you're off your rocker and call the cops on you.

Bottom line Seejay, I travel until late (trying to cover as much distance as I can in a day, cause I still work for a living and have a limited number of days) and I ALWAYS talk to the store mgr. before I stay. I ALWAYS ask where to park and if putting out a slide would be any problem... So far, no mgr. has had a problem with it. Now, I have no problems staying in a camp ground...I do it when I get to where I'm going, but while en route to where ever I may be heading, as long as Wally World, Flying J, or Sam's Club (or any other place for that matter) doesn't have a problem with my over nighting, and I'm not breaking any laws, then I don't really see where it's any of your concern.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:58 PM   #53

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb5300 View Post
~~~~Snip~~~~
I ALWAYS talk to the store mgr. before I stay. I ALWAYS ask where to park and if putting out a slide would be any problem... So far, no mgr. has had a problem with it. Now, I have no problems staying in a camp ground...I do it when I get to where I'm going, but while en route to where ever I may be heading, as long as Wally World, Flying J, or Sam's Club (or any other place for that matter) doesn't have a problem with my over nighting,
~~~~Snip~~~~
"north" of the half a mill figure..." Hmmmm! well mine is maybe all the way to the South Pole of that figure, but I couldn't agree more with the the above
Cheers
Willey
WilleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:23 PM   #54

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
This is exactly my point. Somone crossing the line by approaching a total stranger and preaching what he should and shouldn't do. This guy gave you good advice.
Not in my opinion, If I seen that going on in a public lot I'd just call in the Police and Haz_Mat crew. Bet he wouldn't do that again.
Really! if a free dump site isn't available, is $15 too much for a tank dump?
BTW Grey tank effluent is sewage

Cheers
Willey
Old 10-14-2010, 07:45 PM   #55

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
There was a set of etiquette rules posted by folks such as Escapees, FMCA, and the like asking to preserve the privilege at all of these free spots to just look like you were parked rather than camped.
Hi Lindsay (I'm too old and brittle to jump, too dangerous)
Back when that set of etiquette suggestions were written, there were few if any RV's with slides. Today other than a used older model it would be difficult to purchase one without a slide. The newer models now take advantage of the extra space and fill it with oversize furniture that makes comfort/use some what difficult while the slide is in the closed position.

In my honest opinion, the members who post here on the forum are responsible people who already respect property rights and if the pavement is soft they will take precautions to see no damage is done. There are some we'll call the uneducated, who do not participate in forums and in fact most likely don't know any better, and I believe these to be the small percentage you refer to in your post. They will not change unless someone discusses the issue with them.

Municipalities pass the No RV Overnighting By-Laws because of lobbying by parties with their own $$$$ interests in mind, not because of what they themselves as city administrators see. City officials are rarely over zealous as they depend on votes, controversy rocks the boat so if they can duck an issue they will unless it's a popular issue.

Quote:
We are just wanting to preserve it as personally I like to drive up, sleep, replenish groceries, gas up, and head out all in one easy stop. I saves me an hour or two when I am in a hurry. I think it is a small percentage who really abuse the privilege, but that might be all it takes. The slides in are to keep city officials and campground owners quiet.
That's exactly what the vast majority of forum members who Overnight at parking lots do also. I'm sure those with slides extended do so only when the slide does not become an obstruction, if it does, well sooner or later they will learn the hard way.
Campground owners will rarely be satisfied with an RV parked anywhere but in a campground, the slides have nothing to do with it, (Note Follow the money trail for the real reasons, that's what it's all about.
Our little home away from home has no jacks, no slides and no awning, I don't need or want them. We don't litter and we pick up after the dog. We park away from the stores as requested.
The No Overnighting laws and signs can be defeated it does take a lot of dedication, work and help.
Walmart Canada Locations Map - Wal-Mart Guide
Look to the middle right side of the map. See all the red balloons, well they represent No Overnight Parking locations. Allstays has not updated their map because now you can now park overnight at all those locations.
However there are a couple of blue ones on PE that no longer allow overnighting. Things can be changed but it takes work and lots of activists. See Note:
Cheers
Willey
Old 10-14-2010, 08:07 PM   #56

My former city (we moved 10 miles 4 years ago) did in fact go with the "trailer trash" deal. Many small cities have rampant politics that ruin things for folks not in the "in crowd". Getting a permit for a shed was like getting a new amendment to the US constitution. Quite a few campgrounds are also out of the city limits. I just think what I would think of something parked on the street in my neighborhood --- a parked RV or a camping RV. Just seems like common sense. We had a 97 Rexhall with no slides and did many nights concrete boondocking. When we got our 2004 Itasca with 2 slides, it became a habit to not put them out. It's no big deal. We stopped counting at around 100 nights, but I have seen some really strange things. We actually stayed 3 nights in Rockland, Maine once when I was sick as a dog. I have met some really nice people at Walmart. Almost all RV'ers are pretty great folks. We use PA and the other discount clubs, so it really isn't the money, but the easy of it. We normally stay at a campground 2 days and explore the area. Using Wal-Mart and the rest is used when getting from point A to point B quickly. I usually stay out of these multiple threads on Wal-Mart parking.