Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2010, 09:54 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
We have 10 achers Of land developed for our friends. who want to come and Visit/party with us. We BBQ. a Hog. Or 1/4 beef. Anyway. 99% of the people that come say they don't need any thing. Water/sewer/power/
That is how I have camped mostly the past couple of years. I have great friends that have land who may have a birthday party etc. Fun, fun, fun, as I only stay for a night maybe two. I always cleanup my area before I leave.

goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2015, 10:30 PM   #72

Winnebago Owners Club
Walmart is the quick overnight meca! Love it.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:54 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhanan View Post
Us too. We spend the 2 nights we're on the road to FL and the 2 nights back home again at WalMarts. We used to also stay at rest stops and truck stops but WallyWorld is the best. We also feel it's the safest and it's certainly the most convenient as it's close to the Interstates and we can buy dinner there - rotisserie chicken and potato salad.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:19 AM   #74

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wal*mart actually has no liability for most of the things that can happen in their parking lot... Basically their only responsibility is to provide a firm parking surface. Personal security is not their responsibility.

They were sued by one idiot who let an aggressive into his RV and ultimately had to releive the world of that agressive. (Blow a hole in his anatomy big eough to drive through.. Used a Shotgun).

Wal*mart won that one. In fact it got No-Cased.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:10 AM   #75

We have been dry camping for years, rest areas, parking lots, side of the road, truck stops, etc. We only stay long enough for me to get some sleep feed the family and move on. If we stay in a parking lot I always ask for permission and patronize the establishment. Rest areas usually have posted signs about legal stays. This is to allow us to see more and move on fast. We stay at RV parks for longer stays.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:32 AM   #76

Wow talk about reviving an old thread. Well coming from someone who, until a few days ago, never spent a night in a RV I think I may add some perspective that hasn't really been discussed in this thread.

There are a lot of RVs "parked" in our area of Los Angeles and everyone knows people are living in them. They don't have slides out and you rarely, if ever, see anyone coming or going. The point is that non-RV'ers don't know/care what slides are. They don't care whether you put your awning out. If they see a RV parked in a Wal-Mart (or any parking lot) they assume there are people living or camping in that RV.

Since everyone in the RV community understands the difference when they simply see a RV "parked" vs set up for camping, they seem to assume that the general public understands the difference as well - but that's simply not the case.

I'm not advocating for setting up a full camp but the people in communities who get upset and try to ban RV parking are going to do so regardless of whether or not someone has their slide out or is sitting outside in a lawn chair. I understand that in the past now 15 years, many more Wal-Marts have stopped letting people park there...but in the last 15 years, the use of RVs has risen dramatically and that would correlate with more being parked at WM, hence locals getting upset (again for the simple reason that their local WM now has RVs parked in it at night).
Old 06-25-2015, 09:16 PM   #77

Winnebago Owners Club
I surprised how fast the RV "squatters" problem in big cities like LA is blowing up to be a big problem. I have never been turned away from a Walmart. We usually arrive late and leave mid morning after shopping in the store. We put out our slides but nothing else - no chairs are anything - the car or trailer stays hooked up and as soon as we pull in the slides we are ready to roll. The squatter problem is going to give RV's a bad wrap since may of us like to boondock - but LA parking squatters are not boondockers and are not walmar overnighters.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:14 AM   #78

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The liability issue has been settled in court.. Wal*mart's liability is to insure a solid parking surface.. If you sink into the ashphault then Wal*mart may have a problem.. Or two.. But since the lots are made of sterner stuff that is not likely to happen.

As for your personal or property liability.. IF the store exploades and flyind debris hits your rig,, Perhaps.. But there was a case a few years back where a Retired Police officer and his wife "Wally-Docked" and somehow they let a drunk of the agressive kind into their RV.. Wife had to assist said drunk in leaving.. She used a shotgun.

The couple sued Wal*mart claiming Wal*mart should have protected them from the drunk..... LOST they did. Wal*mart has no such responsibility.. They are NOT responsible for your or your vehicle's safety.. Does not matter if its a car while you get groceries or your RV while you sleep.. They have NO liability for your safety. Other than the firmness of the parking surface.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:33 AM   #79

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhanan View Post

I for one tought that people using WM were too cheap to go to a camp sites, and were using these facilities all year round; some of them do use them all year round, but that's their choice of living.
So I finally decided a few years back to give it a try for a one nite stay during a 1800 milles trip in my own province; it was a nice discovery and from that experience, I became a regular user for overnite stops, much more then using the rest area or the truckstops which are too noisy.
WM offer a great shopping and great prices 24/24.