Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2015, 06:13 PM   #15

An umbrella? Why not?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2015, 10:55 PM   #16

Interesting note, the KOA we stayed in recently in Bellefonte, PA had labels on all their hookups that said "Don't turn off circuit breakers for any reason!" I read the label, turned off the circuit breaker, plugged in, and turned the breaker back on. I'm a bad boy. Not sure the reasoning behind it.

Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:29 PM   #17

turning breakers on and off

Ckt breakers, unless listed for that purpose aren't designed to be cycled often. So turning them off then on every time a new camper comes in can result in the breaker to stop working due to fatigue. That's why they discourage flipping them on and off often.

Electrical safety: lots of different possibilities to many to cover all, a couple though would be, to have rubber soled shoes on when it's damp or wet. Try to have your hands dry, if possible. Use one hand when plugging in so you don't get current across the heart. Hearts go into filabration with a little energy passing through the chest area-- So if you use your right hand -- then there's less of a chance of the cause the right arm if farther from the heart.
These are a couple of thing I learned as an electrician.

I have on occasion when there is a lot of lighting etc around forgone hooking up to utilities cause if a strike occurs fairly close to the power line of the camp, a surge can come in and do a number to your electrical system. Even if only one thing is hurt -- now you've got to get that figured out and fixed.

Hope this helps.
Loren
Old 07-25-2015, 06:30 PM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If a campground told me NOT to turn off the breaker before plugging in or unplugging I'd ask them why.

And then I'd show them... Well. The reason many people think I am a nice guy is because I save up my nasty for folks like them.

NOT turning off is dangerous A slip of the fingers at the wrong time and it's been nice knowing you... Thus telling me not to turn off the breaker EVER is reckless endangerment.. You do not want to know the price tag I put on that. (If you would like a guess. Shop top end PREVOST models).
Old 07-25-2015, 06:41 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
I am first going to venture to say that "All" high end Coach's come with voltage/surge protection..........and then for all that do not come with it as OEM equipment, a high percentage of folks install them........and they all have a power on delay..........as the device checks the incoming power ..............I have one, so it does not matter to me if the breaker is on or off when I arrive. When I disconnect, I have everything powered down in the Coach, but I do switch the breaker off , then disconnect.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:02 PM   #20

I've always thought some people shut them off and others pull in and don't know a thing about breakers ( yes they are out there ) and then they have to call the office to come turn them on for them and it becomes annoying to the Campground personnel.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:20 AM   #21

In a thunderstorm I unplug power and cable if it is connected.May be overkill but my nephew lost his tv and computer to a surge in the cable line from lightning.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:44 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren Rice View Post

Electrical safety: lots of different possibilities to many to cover all, a couple though would be, to have rubber soled shoes on when it's damp or wet. Try to have your hands dry, if possible. Use one hand when plugging in so you don't get current across the heart. Hearts go into filabration with a little energy passing through the chest area-- So if you use your right hand -- then there's less of a chance of the cause the right arm if farther from the heart.
These are a couple of thing I learned as an electrician.

Hope this helps.
Loren
Good advice. I don't always have on rubber soled shoes. I will now. Thanks
Old 07-26-2015, 06:57 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
First of all KOA stands for Kill Our Adventure.

Power problems do more damage to RV's than most weather related issues, as I understand it. Most RV manufactures recommend having the breaker off before plugging in to prevent contact surging. When we plug in we usually don't do it in a clean fashion. The contacts don't meet the outlet squarely. If we miss the neutral we are putting 240VAC onto our rigs, for a 50A hookup, momentarily. The potential for doing damage to our equipment is high. Even with all of our equipment off the inrush surge is still high as compared to closing a switch.

If a campground restricts the operation of the protection breaker there is probably a problem with the RV park power grid.

Happy and safe trails,

Rick Y

Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote