Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2018, 01:30 PM   #1

Dumb question here

Do good fuses light up the meter check thing if the key is not in or the RV turned on? My meter lights up the coach fuses under the stove but not the ones by my left leg under the dash.

And 6x16 has become 6x12 inside....
6x16inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2018, 04:02 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Don't really understand. Are you using some kind of test probe with a light that illuminates when it is touched to a hot circuit, or are you using a VOM with leads ?

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 04:57 PM   #3

Dumb question here

Not sure what your meter check thing is, but if it is just a test light then you need to understand how to check both sides of the fuse to determine if it is bad or good. Assuming it is a 12 volt test light. Remember not to use it on 120 volt AC if 12 volt tester. The other thing is some fuses have power all the time and others do not. This is why you check both side of a fuse. Not sure this helps but it a start.
Jthigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 05:22 PM   #4

Well,
It's really not a dumb question. To me, the OP should kinda back away from this electrical analyzing thing until they're a bit more schooled on what's what before they get shocked or blow up a meter or test light and scaring the beejesus out of themselves. 5 minutes spent with someone that knows how to test things appropriately would go a long way in helping someone like this OP. I surely applaud someone doing their own work and, fixing things but, you kinda need to know even a little bit about what you're doing. There's 12VDC stuff and, 120VAC stuff. The same "meter" can be used on both but, with different settings.

But a 12V test light is for 12VDC circuits etc. And, there are some 12VDC circuits that are energized with the Key and, some without the key. So, just be aware of which type of electrical systems you're working on and, use the proper settings on the meter you're using. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 05:39 PM   #5

I think you may have answered your own question. Turn the key to acc and try your meter on the panel by your left leg. That fuse panel may be controlled by the ign switch.
cruzbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well,
It's really not a dumb question. To me, the OP should kinda back away from this electrical analyzing thing until they're a bit more schooled on what's what before they get shocked or blow up a meter or test light and scaring the beejesus out of themselves. 5 minutes spent with someone that knows how to test things appropriately would go a long way in helping someone like this OP. I surely applaud someone doing their own work and, fixing things but, you kinda need to know even a little bit about what you're doing. There's 12VDC stuff and, 120VAC stuff. The same "meter" can be used on both but, with different settings.

But a 12V test light is for 12VDC circuits etc. And, there are some 12VDC circuits that are energized with the Key and, some without the key. So, just be aware of which type of electrical systems you're working on and, use the proper settings on the meter you're using. Good luck.
Scott
It's just the chintzy little fuse puller/tester that a box of Bussman fuses comes with.

Old 01-20-2018, 09:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
I think you may have answered your own question. Turn the key to acc and try your meter on the panel by your left leg. That fuse panel may be controlled by the ign switch.
No difference.....

Old 01-20-2018, 09:51 PM   #8

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Will it start and run? If so, what is working and what is not working?
We need a little more information. Could you post a picture of the fuse panel? Someone will probably recognized it....
Happy Glamping.
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, GP, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 12:55 AM   #9

The chassis fuse panel (there's probably more than one) will most likely have circuits that stay hot all the time and some that are only hot when the ignition key is in the on position. It all depends on what the circuit is feeding.

For instance, most car stereos have two 12 volt positive wires going to them. One is hot all the time to keep its memory. The other is only hot when the ignition switch is in either the accessory or engine running position. Each circuit would have its own fuse located in the same fuse panel..
Old 01-21-2018, 12:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
Will it start and run? If so, what is working and what is not working?
We need a little more information. Could you post a picture of the fuse panel? Someone will probably recognized it....
Happy Glamping.

Can electrical ever be simple??

From way back when......I've changed the flasher fuse and the side marker lights and they still only flash or blink when they choose.
Yes, unit starts and runs great.
Headlights ON and blinkers act flunky, OFF, they usually act normal.
Speedometer or fuel gauge has never worked.
I'm hoping to find non working window motors is due to a fuse mostly. That and the speed and fuel.

Old 01-21-2018, 05:18 PM   #11

There are no dumb questions here, only questions that need to be answered.
Sorry I canít help with your question, but someone will be able to help you in a minute
Good luck and safe travels
Stever53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:13 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Clue:Headlights off, blinkers normal, headlights on, blinkers funky.

Check the grounds at the parking/turn signals. A bad ground will cause what you describe.
Old_Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow View Post
Clue:Headlights off, blinkers normal, headlights on, blinkers funky.

Check the grounds at the parking/turn signals. A bad ground will cause what you describe.
Yeah.....when laying underneath to see where the leak was occurring, I could see some things that could use being done to the blinkers and wiring there.

I looked at the old owners manual for Ford that was in the glove box and it has the one main fuse panel showing what should be where but who knows what I'll be able to find and where as to the one to the far left on the end of the door casing. There are a couple of things lit up that have always puzzled me but that I left alone since what I needed the most works.