Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2012, 10:01 AM   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgator View Post
"What you want an installer to Think? They just have to put in it, doesn't really matter to them where they put it."

Don't be too quick to blame the installer; cabinetry is pre-fabbed according to approved drawings. A production employee is REQUIRED to build per the drawing. If the approved drawing is wrong, the employee cannot be held liable for the snafu. (lose his or her job). This is an error at the engineering level and as such, hourly employees have zero control over, other than voice their opinion. If engineering doesn't change the drawing, then it is what it is.........

Side note: Most engineers are known for their intellect, not their common sense.
Back in the eighties, Brown and Root Construction started requiring that newly hired engineers work in the "field" for 3 months prior to getting their office chair; this way they would know first hand how what they do.........affects the actual field application. It made a huge difference in the final drawings and plans.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2012, 12:09 PM   #184

I knew my next coach would be a fulltime in the future, a lot of bedrooms in coaches I looked at had the narrow full length closets on the sides of the bed, no nightstands,
I thought about where would you put a glass of water, coffee cup, book ?, and I haven't been able to quit smoking yet so I need a spot for an ashtray too.
but on one of my nights stands there is a water pump switch, I'd think a courtesy light switch would be better, I could turn the water on when I got to the bathroom.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:51 PM   #185

As has been posted before, there are some dumb design ideas and some different remedies. This fix only took about an hour. 45 minutes to engineer it and 15 minutes to cut the tube, drill the holes, mount it and take pics. It actually took longer to compose this post than to do the mod.

With the stock shade location, I either had to raise it or push through it to get out.

I only had to shortened the tube ~1". The vinyl was just right. When I first decided to
relocate the shade, I thought I would have to put something above the shade, but the
window frame came down low enough that is wasn't needed.

Can't see in on the top or sides and the bottom fits nicely between and behind the grab bar.

I don't plan on leaving the door open with the shade down. A strong with would take it off.

I do leave the door open so Sadie can come and go as she wants.

It was a fun project and everything fell into place.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:26 AM   #186

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
Actually, 20# tanks do have one advantage. In areas where propane filling service is scarce or nonexistent, you can usually find someplace (i.e. Walmart) to swap a 20# tank for a full one.
I think the main complaint was locating them under the slide..
Old 05-27-2012, 01:47 AM   #187

The 5er I had before my Breeze came with two 30# tanks. One for the the propane generator and one for the house. How stupid is that? If one runs out, what do you do, switch them as needed?

I bought a large auto switch-over regulator with two inputs and "T"'d the lines to the generator and the house together.

How were the 3 - 20#'ers plumbed?
Old 05-27-2012, 09:34 PM   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
When I looked at MHs, there was always one thing that I didn't like in all of the ones I looked at until I looked at the Breeze I bought. Things like bathroom access, bedroom layout, kitchen, etc. There were a couple minor things I found after buying, but easily changed.

My friend has the same year Breeze, but the LX model. His wife complains that they paid $20,000 more and I got a better kitchen layout, more storage and a bunch of other things. They don't even have a bathtub. Mine has a tub/shower. From what I have read and heard, National over built and under priced their coaches.

Sorry for braggin', but I think I did good or was at the right place at the right time.

Looked up that model. That is a sweet plan!

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:49 PM   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Maybe I'll pick up some "driving shoes."

So far, I just sit in the copilot seat with an adult beverage, advising my hubby on the correct way to drive.

OMG!!! Sarah, I love those shoes! Problem would be explaining to the CG check-in ...

Old 05-27-2012, 09:51 PM   #190

The PO was a prominent business owner in Phx who developed dementia and his wife had to sell everything. MH, boat, plane, business, etc. My breeze was a warehouse queen with only 15k on it. I just had a feeling that said: Do it!
Old 05-27-2012, 09:53 PM   #191

Kathryn, just give them a great big smile.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:06 PM   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
As has been posted before, there are some dumb design ideas and some different remedies. This fix only took about an hour. 45 minutes to engineer it and 15 minutes to cut the tube, drill the holes, mount it and take pics. It actually took longer to compose this post than to do the mod.

With the stock shade location, I either had to raise it or push through it to get out.

I only had to shortened the tube ~1". The vinyl was just right. When I first decided to
relocate the shade, I thought I would have to put something above the shade, but the
window frame came down low enough that is wasn't needed.

Can't see in on the top or sides and the bottom fits nicely between and behind the grab bar.

I don't plan on leaving the door open with the shade down. A strong with would take it off.

I do leave the door open so Sadie can come and go as she wants.

It was a fun project and everything fell into place.
Very nice job!

Old 05-27-2012, 10:12 PM   #193

Thanks, my arm still hurts
Old 05-28-2012, 12:26 PM   #194

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
OMG!!! Sarah, I love those shoes! Problem would be explaining to the CG check-in ...
What problem? Just threaten to stomp them if they give you any grief over them.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:25 PM   #195

I think I have the all-time dumb design idea - running the fluids THROUGH the basement along the frame rails - and clamping, tying, and foaming everything in place.

Beaver used the wrong fuel line materials on my coach and the diesel deteriorated them. Cost $1200 to drop the tank (removing the front suspension) but the lines could only be replaced back to the basement bulkhead. Then they started leaking into the basement.

Last week I spent 20 hrs under the coach and almost $300 at NAPA for diesel compatible lines. I screwed two pieces of 1.25" EMT to the bottom of the basement and ran the lines through the tubes for protection.

Yesterday I went into the basement (I really need a midget to do this work) to cut out the old lines and found that the diesel had degraded the hydraulic lines to my slideout and front jack. Not leaking yet, but blistered, so it's only a matter of time. Can you say "cascading failure"?

Even when I get that stuff fixed there's still two power steering lines, two A/C lines, and two heater hoses, plus all the wiring.

Next time I'm in B'field or LA I'm going to buy a piece of 1" x 10" rectangular tube and weld it in place so I can run everything through there.

All could have been avoided if they used hard line where it went thru the basement.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:39 PM   #196

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagon217 View Post
Dumb to me is Class A units where the floor plan is an obstacle course to get to the bathroom when the slides are closed.
Even dumber, when closed my slide blocks the bathroom and the bedroom door. Also it comes so close to the kitchen counter extension that the only way in or out of the kitchen is to crawl over the counter

TooLate is offline   Reply With Quote