Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2012, 08:46 AM   #29

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I worked on large mainframe computers in the 70's. There was one particular model that had an integrated control unit sandwiched into the leg of the main console.. Unfortunately, that controller required two large cables with ridge metal ends on them be connected to it. We, in the service field, cussed the engineer who mounted that controller every time we had to install one of those machine.

As luck would have it, we required on-site engineering support for that model and got several people from the plant out to the customer site. While we were sitting around talking, waiting for the customer to turn over the machine to us, we started lamenting about how difficult getting those cables was into the console leg. It turned out that one of the plant guys WAS the engineer responsible for the position of that controller. We became agitated and after several minutes of our snarling and snarking, he just smiled. He calming told us that he had used all our arguments and more when he was told to put the controller into that location. He said the management response was simple "do our or we'll find someone else who will." More often than not, bad engineering is the result of management dictum, not logic and reason.

I truly believe that most RVs are made in a "one off" manner. There is a basic design and the individual components within it ebb and flow based on what is perceived to be "customer need". The installers are told to "just do it" and they comply. If you were to complain, the managers would blame the installers. That is just how it works.

chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2012, 09:29 AM   #30
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
There's also the classic multi - manufacturer stupidity regarding the driver's seat back and slide out proximity? That problem seemed to take everyone quite a while to find - the one where 6' + drivers were smashing the seat backs into the slideouts trying to find room for their knees? That one has quite a few still paying their dues for that boondoggle!
That's exactly why we didn't get the slideout when we bought ours. They must plan on all drivers being no taller than 5'8"......

SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:33 AM   #31

The one big design issue I never understood.

Mounting a TV overhead between the front seats. Unless you are single, stretched out on the couch they are useless.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:52 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mount thermostat beside tv (2"). Took me a while to figure out why AC would not cut off when watching TV.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:16 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Speaking of magazines, can anybody tell me what is wrong with the MB ad on page 5 of the recent MotorHome magazines? If you guess right, you win a... Well, you just win.
It has a TT picture on it?
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy AD.
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:22 AM   #34

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
The one big design issue I never understood.

Mounting a TV overhead between the front seats. Unless you are single, stretched out on the couch they are useless.

BigV, I totally agree! Thank goodness for flatscreen TVs, I was able to mount one on the wall across from the couch. I removed and made a storage compartment where the CRT TV was located overhead between the seats.

Dieselclacker
Old 01-07-2012, 10:39 AM   #35

Maybe they are scared that their Norcold will burn their rig while they are sleeping
Old 01-07-2012, 10:42 AM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
Dumb RV Designs

The two things you cannot use in the same sentence are " Engineer" and "common sense".
Old 01-07-2012, 10:50 AM   #37

I've got two items for the list:

The barrel chair, if you rock or lean back at all, hits the 'step' switch (which is poorly placed and too low) and allows the step to retract. Not a great idea, especially at night when your not expecting the step to be tucked in for travel.

My second nomination is the awning installed by Itasca; you can only open the door approximately 100 degrees and then it whacks the awning arms mounted to the side of the motohome.

When the awning is open and even in it's highest position, the top of the door scrapes the awning, making the awning a great paper weight and nothing more.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:13 AM   #38

It's apparent that the details of many RV models are neither designed nor engineered properly. I think the installation folks make things up as they go along.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:20 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner

Speaking of magazines, can anybody tell me what is wrong with the MB ad on page 5 of the recent MotorHome magazines? If you guess right, you win a... Well, you just win.
They are in a tent with a class c behind them
Old 01-07-2012, 11:29 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsronco View Post
They are in a tent with a class c behind them
Bingo, we have a winner.(nice hair though)
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:42 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
My Breeze came with two water pump switches. One on the control panel and the other not 4' away, next to the lavatory sink. Duh! How about one in the kitchen and/or in the bathroom?

Mine has 2 switches also, wired like a 3-way light switch so if you're in the bathroom you can turn the pump on to flush or wash your hands. The control panel switch is over the stove, just a few feet from the kitchen sink.

Makes sense to me.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:46 AM   #42

I can reach both at the same time.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote