Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2012, 10:51 AM   #169
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by carahsue View Post
I made a Decorative fabric panel with upholstery fabric and put snaps on the corners .
The snap mate has a small screw that attaches it to the door .
You can unsnap it to remove it , WORKS GREAT !

A lot better than the rollup shade that was mounted on the door facing , because you could see right around that !

If you use fabric with a picture or scene on it , it looks nice when the door is fastened open .
Another great idea! Thanks, CarahSue! Pics would be great!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2012, 11:29 AM   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Hmm.. my door has privacy glass....
My 5er did too, but I replaced it with tinted tempered glass.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:32 PM   #171
Community Administrator

We saw quite a few 2012 MH's at the Tampa Super Show this week that had full wall driver side slides. The basements didn't come out with the slide making it an Olympic sport to first get on your knees and then twist over to one side and try to attempt to grab your power cord or even worse to try and hookup your sewer and water lines. You would have to have your slides in to have any chance of ever standing up again. This of course is not always convenient when doing extended camping. Other than that , they were OK. From the outside that is.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:41 PM   #172

On my Breeze, with the slides in, the doors open to slide height, but if you put more upward pressure on them, they open all the way.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:29 PM   #173
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
I thought the same thing the first time I saw the Pontiac Aztek
My first thought when I saw an Aztec on the street: "Oh dear, somebody got drunk (or high) and then went to look at Pontiacs"
Old 05-25-2012, 08:02 AM   #174
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
My pet peeve is why do they put the switch for the Jake Brake on the dashboard? Making you have to lean forward and grope for the switch especially at night. I have always thought that the Jake Brake switch should be on the steering wheel, especially if you have a "smart steering wheel". I was happy to see that Holiday Rambler has adopted this and wish others would do the same.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:55 AM   #175

Monaco Owners Club
The monaco guys who designed the dash on my knight musta been high or something...

Switxhes in 4 different panels, and i can only reach the ones in the first half of the drivers armrest without lifting my shoulders off the drivers seat.....

To monaco, i do not ever need to lay my hand on the powergear jack panel while on the road....

It would be nice if the allison panel were closer.
It would be wonderfull if the icc and cruise switches were closer...
Mirror heat is rArely needed....

The whole layout is just weird...

Has anyone moved the switches around?
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:20 PM   #176

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Another dumb idea is the one piece windshield. If you put any amount of highway miles on your Motorhome you will pick up stone chips or worse. If it can't be repaired you have to replace the whole thing for big bucks rather than replace just one side.
Also, everyone that has anything to do with designing a Motorhome shoud be made to spend a month camping in the thing to see what is really needed.
I would also suggest trying to work on the mechanical stuff but that would be too much to hope for.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:29 PM   #177

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
My pet peave is awnings. The slide toppers are horizontal, every time it rains, they get full of water. The big awning is on the coach, and goes out over a slide, as a result, in order to clear the slide, it is almost horizontal, and, every time it rains it gets full of water. We have an awing over two sets of windows, one set by the table and one set over the sofa. The bottoms of windows over the table extend up a few inches farther than the set of windows over the sofa. The awning fits so if you are sitting on the sofa, it is perfect. If you are sitting at the table, you can't see anything due to the awning coming down too far (or the windows coming up to far).

I'm convinced most of the engineers that design these things never spent a day in one.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:02 PM   #178

Monaco Owners Club
On the 2 last fivers I had there were many annoying things that were just not thought out. On the HR Imperial I now have, there are fewer things that bother me. The rear view camera is placed in the dash too low at an angle that is awkward to see. You can't just glance at it. I plan on replacing it eventually and mounting it on top of the dash. The vanity sink in the bathroom has a cupboard built over it and can be a real head banger. Like said don't these designers ever try these things? Double panned windows that fog up. This has been going on for years, you would think someone would address that!!
Old 05-26-2012, 05:50 AM   #179

Recently did a walk through on a mid level class A. Not a bad set up but did notice the toilet tissue holder was located so the minute you put a new roll of paper in place the shower door wouldn't swing open past it.

Grumpy Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:14 AM   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspande View Post
I'd like to fearlessly nominate the two dumbest RV ideas of all time, from a company (now out of business) that actually had a lot of quite good ideas, but balanced them out with a couple of stinkers. The company was Alfa and the models were 5th wheels (fortunately different models - none had both).

The #1 dumbest was using three 20# propane tanks (instead of two 30#) and locating them under the living room slide-out. This was in some of their latest model units.

The #2 dumbest was in earlier models (like my 2001 model) where they included a walk-in closet in the bedroom slide in such a way that the bathroom sink moved with the slide. Not only does this require all the plumbing to allow several feet of movement, but when the slide is in, the sink totally blocks access to the bedroom (unless one climbed over the sink!)
Actually, 20# tanks do have one advantage. In areas where propane filling service is scarce or nonexistent, you can usually find someplace (i.e. Walmart) to swap a 20# tank for a full one.
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:44 AM   #181

"What you want an installer to Think? They just have to put in it, doesn't really matter to them where they put it."

Don't be too quick to blame the installer; cabinetry is pre-fabbed according to approved drawings. A production employee is REQUIRED to build per the drawing. If the approved drawing is wrong, the employee cannot be held liable for the snafu. (lose his or her job). This is an error at the engineering level and as such, hourly employees have zero control over, other than voice their opinion. If engineering doesn't change the drawing, then it is what it is.........

Side note: Most engineers are known for their intellect, not their common sense.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:46 AM   #182

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
Actually, 20# tanks do have one advantage. In areas where propane filling service is scarce or nonexistent, you can usually find someplace (i.e. Walmart) to swap a 20# tank for a full one.
Not to mention three 20# tanks are easier on the old back than two 30# tanks when you have to wrestle them someplace to be refilled.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote