Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2015, 01:08 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Dump station/ water station newby question

We just purchased a motorhome and store it away from our house at a very nice storage yard. One of their perks is a fresh water and dump station. The water faucets are 15 feet from the dump pipe. My question is this. Would you use this water source to fill your water tank. Should I be concerned that it's contaminated by someone connecting a flushing black water garden hose to the spigot? And who knows where that hose has been. I have heard of the campers code for dump stations. But I also assumed that potable or no potable water sources at dump stations were clearly marked. And far away from potable water sources. I guess the same question can be asked at camp sites where the water spigot is close to the drain pipe. What do you do?
Thanks
Doug
RockyMtnRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2015, 01:14 PM   #2

RockyMtn: In my case.. most often I find that sewer and fresh water are close....I use a water filter. I buy them at Walmart... CAMCO Camco Water Filter, 2 Pack - Walmart.com
There are other types... but this is how I make sense from chaos when it comes to campground water.
If you are in doubt about the potable and not potable water...ASK someone that works there.
Never attempt to filter non potable water and place it in the RV storage tank...
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:23 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I'd be reluctant to fill my fresh water tank from a source that convenient to the dump. I never cease to be amazed at how many clueless and/or "don't give a damn" people are out there.

Enjoy your new motor home.

Jim
jrbarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:26 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I never fill my water tanks with a spigot that is anywhere near a dump station. There are too many bozos out there that will flush their black tanks with them. I'm not willing to take that chance.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:30 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
In a word, NO! I would never use the faucet near the dump station for filling my freshwater tank! They usually have signs up cautioning against that.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:31 PM   #6

We store our coach at a storage facility that also provides both potable and non-potable water. When I use the facility's potable water I use our own drinking water hose and disconnect the facility's hose. I also carry a small spray bottle of diluted bleach water that I make up before each trip. I spray the faucet at the facility and at the camp ground before attaching my hose to any faucets.

Mike H
Bubba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:48 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba1 View Post
We store our coach at a storage facility that also provides both potable and non-potable water. When I use the facility's potable water I use our own drinking water hose and disconnect the facility's hose. I also carry a small spray bottle of diluted bleach water that I make up before each trip. I spray the faucet at the facility and at the camp ground before attaching my hose to any faucets.

Mike H

Good idea Mike! I need to start doing that!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 02:15 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
No matter what faucet, I always disinfect it before connecting my hose. I use isopropyl alcohol in a stray bottle to decon..
patsikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 02:21 PM   #9

Don't use it.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:34 PM   #10

those filters will not remove bacteria from the water!!!
Old 03-24-2015, 02:48 PM   #11

We have a decent carbon filter in the water bay. We use a big berkey filter inside to filter our drinking water. You can pour pond or ditch water in the berkey and it will make it consumable. The berkey filters are used in third world countries by the peace corp's . There are several videos on Youtube if you want to check out how the work. Also the elements last at least 5 years.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:38 AM   #12

Tooltrdr... the filters do remove bacteria from the water... you will find the filter capability in the documentation ONLINE for each filter you might consider. What you might best state is a filter cannot remove a virus from water and some might not remove certain heavy metals and organic chemicals. There are lots of filter choices out there and some do a really good job at preventing contamination of your water.
I filter my city water....it has certain maladies I prevent from entering the coach and also I have similar filtration at the sink and frig of my brick and mortar.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:15 AM   #13

Usually the water at the dump station is the same as any other water in the park. The problem is how the water hose is treated by those that use it. I won't connect there because of the unknowns. Now think about this; the water at your site is often very near the sewer so what is the difference?

Treat any public faucet as though it is contaminated. Disinfectant is a good idea. Run some water out of the faucet before connecting, and then flush your hose as well. If you use a filter, flush it as well and then connect to the RV.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:23 AM   #14

I like Bubba1's approach. Any bacteria is going to be right on the spigot. Also run the water for a few seconds prior to connecting your hose.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water