Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2005, 07:03 PM   #1

I was reading the latest issue of TL and there was a comment made about dump stations at parks that got me thinking. I am a new RVer and when I am at a park w/o full hookups, I use the dump station when I leave. I also hookup to the dump station as if I was at a full service site. In other words, I use the hose, fitting etc. The article made it sound like some people just open up the valves at the station. I am wondering if I should / need to go through the trouble of using the hoses etc or is it accepted practice to "dump and run"?

1993 Ford F350 CC Dually
Pafixitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2005, 07:03 PM   #2

I was reading the latest issue of TL and there was a comment made about dump stations at parks that got me thinking. I am a new RVer and when I am at a park w/o full hookups, I use the dump station when I leave. I also hookup to the dump station as if I was at a full service site. In other words, I use the hose, fitting etc. The article made it sound like some people just open up the valves at the station. I am wondering if I should / need to go through the trouble of using the hoses etc or is it accepted practice to "dump and run"?

1993 Ford F350 CC Dually
Old 10-20-2005, 07:10 PM   #3

You should absolutely connect your sewer hose to the RV and put the other end down into the dump pipe. Those who "just open the valve" are inconsiderate nincom"poops" (literally) who could care less about those who will be using the dump station after them. Not only is it considerate of others to use the dump station properly, it keeps the site as sanitary as it can be so you don't have to be concerned about what you touch or what you might be touching.

It doesn't take much extra time to do it right and be considerate of those who follow.

Thanks for asking.

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 08:09 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

What Paul said!
Old 10-21-2005, 04:34 AM   #5

Nor'easters Club
I only do a few things differently at a dump station as opposed to a full hookup site. At the dump site I don't use my elbow at the end of the sewer hose, I just put the hose down into the hole. I also don't use my Quickie Flush at the dump station unless there is nobody waiting and I have lots of time (almost never!). Also, at the dump station I wear disposable gloves since there is usually no where to easily wash up.
camper1b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 04:46 AM   #6

I like the glove idea. I generally have the better half waiting w/ wipes!

Honestly, it never occured to me to do anything different until I read the article. At least I know I am not a "poop"!

1993 Ford F350 CC Dually
Old 11-02-2005, 07:20 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Those that "dump and run" are the ones that have caused many free dump stations to be closed. The state of Minnesota used to have several free dump sites many years ago. The state closed them when they found that the cost of cleaning up after the slobs was too much. Many other cities and counties accross the country have done the same.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:34 AM   #8

I am fairly new to RVing too. But I must say that I am quite shocked at the idea that someone would just open up the valves and let the sludge out on the ground! Am I missunderstanding this? I mean, forget the gloves. Where's my hazmat suit!
Old 11-02-2005, 11:36 AM   #9

Ultimate in laziness. What a few do is pull up to the dump station, get the trailer dump valve near the hole in the ground, and open their valves. No hose. They assume most will go down the drain. They don't even hose down their spill. Illegal as heck as far as I know, and beyond common sense for sure.

With electric dump valves, you needn't even leave your vehicle!

Always uses a hose, elbow, and gloves.

Bruce
Old 11-02-2005, 11:51 AM   #10

I too have come in to dump after somebody has just pulled the valves and not used the hoses, it is absolutely discusting to expect others to clean up the mess, to say nothing of the odour that permeates the whole area. I agree with the others please use the sewer hoses there is no need to be so inconsiderate.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:58 PM   #11

If I catch somebody doing this,, they will clean it up with thier face...I'll help..
Unbelieveable.....

2000 Ford Lightning
Houndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 05:59 AM   #12

As I have stated before in my replies we are full timers and have been for almost 4 years. Have seen people pull away from dumping with stuff on the ground and not even look back. We always do it the right way and use the disposable gloves (buy them by the box). Have been told by many people that they quit accepting RVs to dump due to the few bad RVers. In the book "The Next Exit" they will list dump stations along the way. Some states have them at their welcome stations and some do not or have closed them.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:15 PM   #13

I always use the gloves (3 boxes at a time from COSTCO).

I agree w/ Hounddog. Growing up on the farm I had to clean up after the animals, don't expect to have to clean up after people.

I generally look for free dump stations - Flying Js, some Camping Worlds, even some city parks.