Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2014, 03:39 PM   #43

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Besides suspension, tires are a big factor in comfort and safety while driving. Cold flat spots cause rough rides and rattle dishes. Sidewall cracking in increased by poor tire maintenance, not cleaning side walls, using silicone tire dressing and not using/covering side walls to protect tires from the sun's uv Rays.
I myself will stick with Michelin's. Goodyear and Dunlap have given me a hard ride on other RVs I have driven. Bottom line; What is more important, savings or comfort.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2014, 02:03 PM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy View Post
Besides suspension, tires are a big factor in comfort and safety while driving. Cold flat spots cause rough rides and rattle dishes. Sidewall cracking in increased by poor tire maintenance, not cleaning side walls, using silicone tire dressing and not using/covering side walls to protect tires from the sun's uv Rays.
I myself will stick with Michelin's. Goodyear and Dunlap have given me a hard ride on other RVs I have driven. Bottom line; What is more important, savings or comfort.
Safety is the most important concern that I have, that's why the side wall cracking was a concern for me. Just for the record, I NEVER use any tire dressing other than plain water and soap. I alwaysmake sure the tire pressure correct and I have tire covers. For whatever reason Michelin RV tires (and the tires on my F350) cracked. We will see how the Bridgestones hold up, and if they do well, then I may look at some of their other tires for my small "fleet".

cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 02:18 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Are you planning on putting many miles on them in the next 3 months?
I have a small trip planned for TN at the end of this month. The next trip I'll be taking will be to Foley, AL, but that trip will have to wait until after "open enrollment."
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 01:48 AM   #46

I had Michelin tires on a motor home a few years ago and replace them with some other brand. I felt like I was on ice after about 100 miles I was going crazy as I thought the feeling would go away. Went back to the tire store, Americas tires in Temecula and they let me exchange them for Michelins, same tire I had taken off and got the same great ride I had always got.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:39 AM   #47

Dunlop vs Michelin tires

I believe the Bridgestone brand as well as BF Goodrich are under Michelin.

Edit: uniroyal and bf goodrich are Michelin brands, not Bridgestone. Sorry.
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:29 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
I believe the Bridgestone brand as well as BF Goodrich are under Michelin.

Edit: uniroyal and bf goodrich are Michelin brands, not Bridgestone. Sorry.

This is correct. Bridgestone and Firestone are sister companies.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 12:25 AM   #49
rtz

With all these sun baked tires; is any UV protectant of any sort ever put on any of them? Makes me wonder about Michelins UV additives(or lack thereof). For such an expensive tire; I'd expect a lot more from it.

Amazon.com: 303 Aerospace Protectant 32oz: Automotive

What Every RV Owner Should Know by Michelin Tires - YouTube
Old 10-23-2014, 12:59 AM   #50

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Michelin used to say to use 303 on their tires, then they came out with their own "brand" and strangely they only recommended it. If you looked at it it looked the same as 303, only a different label. Then, the last I looked they no longer had their product and only wanted soap, water and a stiff brush.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:44 PM   #51

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Needing to replace the Michelins on our 2010 Newmar Canyon Star. Cracking with less than 10K miles, but original tires on the coach. Tire dealer recommended the Hankook tires 235 80R 22.5 comps to the Michelin. I was not familiar with the Hankook brand, but seeing favorable reviews as I am looking tonight. What do you know of them ?
Thanks for your input
John
fishngjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 04:47 PM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dunlop vs Michelin tires

I have a 2003 H.R.Vacationers W22 chassis and about ten weeks ago I had new Michelins XRV (235X80X22.5) installed, these were eplacements for the originals. As you can do the math they were twelve years old but with only 16,675 miles on them. But for safety reasons, mainly age and for peace of mind I had them changed out. The day before I inspected them visually and was no sigh of any weather cracking. The last several years I looked for cracking but none. I contributed this to the fact my M.H. HAS NEVER SET OUTSIDE EXCEPT WHEN CAMPING. It sets in my 36 X 50 foot garage and I have owned this M.H. since Nov. 2005. The roof and all exterior still look new. Anyway that's my observation.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:04 PM   #53

There is no comparison between the two. Perhaps better attention to the care of the tires would extend the life of the tires. Improper pressure, extended UV exposure will certainly cause side wall cracking in any tires.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:19 PM   #54

I have 4 year old Hankooks on my coach, but not for long. Severe sidewall cracking. Started when they where about 2 and a half years old. I was told the cracking a not severe enough and the tires are still safe. Never again!

Tags
tires