Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2014, 07:53 AM   #15

I have Michelins on my 5th wheel. 2 1/4 years old and starting to crack. Not Happy!. I also have them on my 1 ton puller. Been through 3 sets over the last 6 years or so. As far as the truck, I have taken them back to where I purchased and they have always replaced them and I have had to pay the difference based on tread wear. Seems fair but inconvenient to have to keep doing it. I'm about to make a call to Michelin and raise holly #$!%^. Their excuse about ozone degradation, in my view is bull. Tires over 6 years old, ok, I'll bite the bullet. Anything less and I'll hound them relentlessly.
NormDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2014, 08:01 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormDunn View Post
I have Michelins on my 5th wheel. 2 1/4 years old and starting to crack. Not Happy!. I also have them on my 1 ton puller. Been through 3 sets over the last 6 years or so. As far as the truck, I have taken them back to where I purchased and they have always replaced them and I have had to pay the difference based on tread wear. Seems fair but inconvenient to have to keep doing it. I'm about to make a call to Michelin and raise holly #$!%^. Their excuse about ozone degradation, in my view is bull. Tires over 6 years old, ok, I'll bite the bullet. Anything less and I'll hound them relentlessly.
Yep
Old 09-17-2014, 08:05 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
I read comments about these "Cracking" sidewalls, let's see some Pictures, I have noticed them but haven't seen anything that would make me worry, Michelin has no warranty on a brand new tire with cracks?? I am in their "Fleet" program and no problems, never lost a Michelin Tire either, I can't say that for Goodyear, Bridgestone or Continental, maybe I've been lucky!!
Let's see the PICTURES...
DMTTRANSPORT
I don't know about brand new tires but there is NO "sidewall cracking warranty" on 3 year old Michelin tires.
I don't do pictures but feel free to come and look at my sidewall cracks, (or buy some Michelin tires and get your own).
Mel
'96 Safari, (currently in Wisconsin)
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:17 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Dunlaps are definitely NOT Goodyears lower brand, I sold tires in my repair shop for years, Dunlop is a very old tire brand made in the USA!! When I was a truck service manager almost all of the tire blow outs we went out on were Michelin, this was class 8 rigs. I sold Dunlops both in motorcycle and vehicles and had no trouble.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:38 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
DMTTRANSPORT
I don't know about brand new tires but there is NO "sidewall cracking warranty" on 3 year old Michelin tires.
I don't do pictures but feel free to come and look at my sidewall cracks, (or buy some Michelin tires and get your own).
Mel
'96 Safari, (currently in Wisconsin)
LOL! I have plenty with no complaints.....Grab a Tissue!
Old 09-17-2014, 09:42 AM   #20

Quote:
LOL! I have plenty with no complaints.....Grab a Tissue!
DMTTRANSPORT
Not everyone can put up with "plenty" of sidewall cracks without complaining.
When I spend $3500+ for tires that begin cracking in less than 3 years I am disappointed, (to say the least).
If you're satisfied with "questionable quality" I'm happy for you.
Mel
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:58 AM   #21

Foretravel Owners Club
Dunlop vs Michelin tires

Yes everyone is the brightest, engineer, mechanic, but until one learns to read & understand the date code on batteries & tires, your GUESSING, most guessers have poor luck.
Good luck
Dave M
Genset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 11:34 AM   #22

Gulf Streamers Club
Dunlap was originally an Irish company, founded in 1888. It became a subsidiary of Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company in 1999. They manufacture tires in China, Slovenia and Poland. Apart from the main Goodyear and Dunlop brands, tires are also sold under the Fulda, Sava and Arrowspeed brand names. There is certainly nothing inferior about Dunlap tires.
Michelin tire prices seem as bloated as their 'tireman' symbol. If you think you get a better ride on Michelins, great, I enjoy a good ride sitting on a thicker wallet to improve my ride!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:21 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Since RV tires typically age out rather than wear out, I'd think Dunlops would be fine.
Ditto, get the ones that give you the best deal.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 02:20 PM   #24

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
4 years is old for a Tire, it's rubber and what ever else they add to the mix plus it sits most of the time, I don't mind spending the extra bucks for a good ride, I removed 6 Firestone's 275's they have 90% rubber come get em for free....
(I bet it's more than 4 years old, look at the date on the sidewall, if it's not too cracked)
Like Mel S says below about his GY's, I am currently replacing my Goodyear 670's that are date coded 3308, so 6 years old, NO sign of sidewall cracking on these at all, perfectly even tread wear (about 18,000 miles). I would be very disappointed with tires that were severely cracking at 3 1/2 - 4 years like the Michelin owners report, I was thinking of going to Michelins on steers and with the Falkens that I recently purchased on the rear, but for the extra money I am not sure it will be worth it. Thinking of just going with the Falkens and see what happens. Local dealer here brags about success with them.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 05:59 PM   #25

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I put 'Made in U.S.A.' Dunlop tires on our coach in the fall of 2009. They are a great tire. To date, they exhibit no sign of tread wear, no sidewall cracking, no sidewall deterioration in any way.

I put new Bridgestone R280 tires on the steer axle last fall. They don't look any newer than the Dunlops on the back axle.

So, based on my experience, I think Dunlop tires are an excellent choice!

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:23 PM   #26

Replaced my tires last year through FMCA total cost was approx $3400. About 10 years ago I replaced tires on a prevous motorhome 19" with no name tires. They were 12 Ply radials, ran them several years until I traded the motorhome with no problems.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:18 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
4 years is old for a Tire, it's rubber and what ever else they add to the mix plus it sits most of the time, I don't mind spending the extra bucks for a good ride, I removed 6 Firestone's 275's they have 90% rubber come get em for free....
(I bet it's more than 4 years old, look at the date on the sidewall, if it's not too cracked)
Nope...tire is on my tag and it was replaced 4 years ago...I need 295's, but thanks for the offer.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:20 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Dunlop is Goodyear's lower-price brand. Odds are in the size you need that it is exactly the same tire as another Goodyear model, though perhaps not the G670 RV model.

You didn't mention the tire size, but chances are that most any tires dealer can supply you with a lower-priced tire that its your coach. I'm running Continentals now in probably the same size you use, but Bridgestone/Firestone, Yokahoma, and Hankook all offer top quality tires at much lower prices than Michelin. My Continentals were 2/3's the price of Michelin or the Goodyear G670. And they ride fine, despite what some people say.
Sorry about that...my tire size is 295/80/22.5
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires