RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2017, 05:44 AM   #1

DW say's it's a mid life crisis

Well, maybe she's right. After 4 months on the market we sold our 35' boat. We owned it for almost 7 yrs, took it to the Bahamas, Keys, and up the intracoastal waterway to the Chesapeake.

So while the ink was drying on the bill of sale, I placed an offer on a '07 American Tradition 40' DP we had looked at earlier this week. The offer was accepted and contract signed 4 hours after we signed the bill of sale for the boat.

I've already signed up for the Spartan chassis school in August. Haven't quite figured out how I'm going to get the Tradition home or where we're going to keep it. I've never driven anything larger than my pickup with runabout boat/trailer attached. I have driven big airplanes though.

Yup, now that I've had time to think about the last 24 hrs, she may be might.

timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2017, 05:50 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Congrats. That's a good MH and I wish you the best with it. You'll figure out the small details as you go. You're in good company as far as a midlife crisis goes. Post some pics when you can.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 05:59 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Funny, we went from boating to Motorhoming too. I enjoyed both, but DW never told me she didn't like the water. It scared her. She loves traveling in the MH. If you can fly a plane I think you will handle a MH. Just remember to take your corners a little wider.
After you hit a few curbs you will learn. With a 40' you will want to tow a car.

Good luck, you will love it.
inlineskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 06:22 AM   #4

I will definitely post pics once we own it. We've already got the towed, a Honda CRV I purchased a year ago in anticipation of getting an Rv.

The Tradition comes with 2 electric bikes, so I'll have a chance to drive it without the need for a towed, at least initially.
I'm not intimated by this monster but will definitely take the turns a bit wider.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:56 AM   #5

Driving a Class A, even my little 28 ft does change your perspective on things, I found the biggest thing I find myself watching out for is height, followed by width and finally issues with length, off tracking and cornering. After about 2,000 miles in my coach now I still find when backing that the back end is about 6-8 feet further back than where I feel like it should be. Wow that was a lot of use of the word back in a single sentence.

Ike

p.s. where do you have to retrieve your now coach from?
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:03 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
My best friend is fond of saying that ALL of life is a crisis!

If you have 7yrs experience piloting a boat, you already know more than you think about driving an RV. Have met many RVs who were former boaters and they all said it was an easy transition. You are already used to traveling light, packing efficiently, having something expensive break every time you go out , leaving enough room for tail swing when parking, etc.

Enjoy this new phase of your journey!
Old 01-28-2017, 10:15 AM   #7

Congratulations! We are also recovering boaters after selling our Carver years ago, and we find that Motorhoming is much more relaxing. It was a natural fit. I tell people now days, that "I can dock this thing thing in any kind of weather". She says that she doesn't have to say "you're too far away from the dock, too far away! .........We are now on our 3rd Motorhome and all is well for us. Just turn late and turn wide and you'll be fine. I hope you enjoy this lifestyle.
Tizbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post

Ike

p.s. where do you have to retrieve your now coach from?
If the deal goes through (am I'm sure it will) I will have to drive it from Ft. Myers up to Tampa, not far.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizbad View Post
Congratulations! We are also recovering boaters after selling our Carver years ago, and we find that Motorhoming is much more relaxing. It was a natural fit. I tell people now days, that "I can dock this thing thing in any kind of weather". She says that she doesn't have to say "you're too far away from the dock, too far away! .........We are now on our 3rd Motorhome and all is well for us. Just turn late and turn wide and you'll be fine. I hope you enjoy this lifestyle.
Thanks for all the kind words. Yes we are somewhat already use to the life style and am looking forward to perhaps a less stressful adventure. The boat was fun though and we made many good memories. I hope we enjoy this new lifestyle as much or more than we enjoyed the boat.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:21 AM   #10

timjet, Well at least you're not hanging out in "strip joints", taken up sky diving, or racing moto cross!. memtb
memtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by memtb View Post
timjet, Well at least you're not hanging out in "strip joints", taken up sky diving, or racing moto cross!. memtb

Hmmmmm......
Old 01-28-2017, 06:20 PM   #12

If you can dock a boat in some of the crappy docks in the Bahamas, Parking a motorhome in a campground is a breeze....
rollondown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 06:27 PM   #13
GGC

timjet
I sold my airplane and bought a MH many years ago.
LOL, there will be times you wish you were beatin' up the skies as opposed to being beat up on the road.
Enjoy

GGC is offline   Reply With Quote