Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2015, 07:53 AM   #15

Not legal in Canada, and even belted in but seat reclined is a no go, and of little use in an accident anyhow. Generally just a bad practice. Hope it doesn't catch up with anyone!
popcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2015, 09:06 AM   #16

Some states require all passengers in RVs to use proper restraints regardless of where they are seated within the vehicle. These states are: Alaska, California, Colorado, Delaware, Washington, D.C., Georgia, Idaho, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, Massachusetts, Montana, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Utah, Vermont, Washington and Wyoming.

The rest of the states only require front seat riders to wear seatbelts.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:50 AM   #17

I wonder how anyone survived before seatbelts, surprised the whole human race wasn't wiped out. In a DP I'd be more afraid of the engine or trans catching on fire and burning me up
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 10:09 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Three years ago, DW has a stroke in South Texas. Three weeks later, I brought her home to Missouri. She stayed in bed, but I had bed rails that slide under the mattress, and I held them together with straps. She made the trip in fine fashion. Where there's a will, there's a way. Eddie Elk.
1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '03 Honda CRV, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 10:19 AM   #19

National RV Owners Club
We have a pusher, so sleeping in the bed while driving is nearly impossible. DW does sleep in the co-pilot's chair belted in but usually wakes up with a stiff neck so it doesn't happen often. Now the Dogs are a different story....they sleep anywhere but in that nice cave under the steering wheel

Dick
Old 09-15-2015, 11:13 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by OB-One View Post
Yes, sometimes my wife is sleeping, sometimes cooking, other times working on the computer, watching TV, or crafting. In short, doing anything but sitting in the passenger seat.
Assuming this is while you are driving, you know what they say - Can't fix stupid.

Quote:
I wonder how anyone survived before seatbelts, surprised the whole human race wasn't wiped out
Lots were wiped out, but of course lots more are still in the wheelchairs they ended up in as a result of being in collisions. Still a way to go though as evidenced by the relatively high injury and accident statistics for the USA compared to comparable countries. Freedom of choice has its costs.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:14 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
No, I stay in the passenger seat to navigate and back seat drive. The only time I get up is to go to the restroom or close a door that occasionally flies open.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 11:39 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorPro View Post
There are 3 questions here....1st do people do it ? Yes.....2nd is it legal? Maybe depending on the state your in.....3rd is it safe? NO!!!
Most mass transit vehicles (buses, trains) do not have seat belts. So sitting in a RV without a seat belt is at least as safe as mass transit. Additionally in a severe crash or rollover, not being strapped in is the least of your worries. Take a close look at how your furniture and appliances are restrained. All sorts of things will be flying around in a violent crash.

I'd be curious to know what states require you to be belted in as a rear passenger while driving in a motor home.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:40 AM   #23

See post 16
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 11:41 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
Most mass transit vehicles (buses, trains) do not have seat belts. So sitting in a RV without a seat belt is at least as safe as mass transit. Additionally in a severe crash or rollover, not being strapped in is the least of your worries. Take a close look at how your furniture and appliances are restrained. All sorts of things will be flying around in a violent crash.

I'd be curious to know what states require you to be belted in as a rear passenger while driving in a motor home.
Never mind. Just saw twinboats post
Old 09-15-2015, 11:49 AM   #25

Buses are constructed differently than RVs. Regardless, you will see accidents involving buses where the passengers are killed. Nothing is 100% safe but you can increase the percentages of survival if you take some precautions.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 12:14 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob55 View Post
Off the wall question, I did some searches but didn't come up with anything....

Does anyone here have someone sleeping in the bedroom area while driving? I'm a morning person and my DW isn't......

Sometimes.
Depends on a variety of factors - does she need to rest? Are we on a road with cross traffic (probably won't) or limited access freeway (more likely to).

Smooth road? She has commented that the ride back there on bouncy roads is "interesting."

Rain? Never. We both love driving in the rain in the motorhome, and so she always likes to be up front checking it out. Probably because it's so rare for us given our typical routes and timing.

Whether or not the laws of this or that state do or don't permit it is not a consideration.

To save the comments about safety - I believe absolutely that our Class A is probably one of the most dangerous vehicles we could be in during a high speed (western interstate speeds) crash. There is no illusion here.

I also pilot small planes, engage in various motor sports, hell, served 20 years as a Marine (I'm not referring to war or something, I'm talking about riding or flying as a passenger in anything painted green!!).

We do what we can to be safe, but not to the nth degree. If she wants to grab something from the fridge, mosey to the john, or go lay down, she will.
Civdiv99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 12:20 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
If the motohome is moving, my wife is in bed asleep. Of course there are risks, but we put on our big boy pants and accept them.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 01:11 PM   #28

Wow, I can't believe the number posters who's DW sleep while driving. We have been down some spectacular roads and can't imagine not having someone there to share not to mention the sites the DW is missing. Even on the interstates there is usually something to talk about even if it's about the idiot who hasn't figured out how to merge onto a freeway. For us the destination is only part of the enjoyment of this life style.
My DW is also the navigator, sometimes referred to as the nagavator, and handles the GPS and any re routing or side trips and monitors the TPMS.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote