Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-15-2015, 09:16 PM   #43

Forest River Owners Club
Civdiv99, I'm with ya' on your previous post!

Interesting responses for sure! Everyone has their ideas and comfort levels, after discussion about how the rear of the coach would move around at typical highway speeds, the DW has decided that the "Queen's Throne" passenger seat will be just fine.....that's what works for us but "one size doesn't fit all".

2016 Forest River Wildcat Maxx T28RKX
USMC/USNR Seabee (SCW/FMF) Retired
VFW Life Member
Bob55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2015, 09:22 AM   #44

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My while family sleeps while I drive as we usually travel through the night. The wife and one daughter in the master, son on the couch and other daughter on the dinette.

2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35k
mojoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 10:28 AM   #45
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I guessing I'm stupid because I love it when she goes and naps..so much more peaceful
rollingslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 12:36 PM   #46
Just because we can, doesn't always mean we should..... But it's still a free country last time I checked, so to each their own I guess. I would vote no.
popcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 02:07 PM   #47
Originally Posted by popcan View Post
Just because we can, doesn't always mean we should..... But it's still a free country last time I checked, so to each their own I guess. I would vote no.
I don't suppose the DW/DH (as may be the case) gets a vote......?

(mentally picturing how far a "no, you can't go lay down" would fly over here).
GySgt USMC (Ret) '79~'99
2005 National RV Dolphin Limited
(w/lots of goodies)
Civdiv99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 04:35 PM   #48
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some comments and a story.; and a legal declaration: (Your millage may vary specifically state to state, I only know one of those)

The safest place, in theory, is belted into an upright seat.

Reclining the seat greatly reduces the safety

Lying UNRESTRAINED on a bed makes a big reduction..

I believe there is a "Sleeping restraint" used on some navy vessels, I do not know much about it since I've not seen one.

Finally the story.. Which I was caused to redcall this AM for a totally different reason..

My sister was in the hospital.. Knee surgery (She blew her kneecap this was in her teens) and her roommate was in a bad way, Broke nearly every major bone in the body (no head injury) but arms, legs, Ribs etc had been broken.

The hospital Chaplin stopped in trying to cheer her up (not doing well) he ask how she got injured.. I forget if she told him he'd never guess or if I did (I knew what had happened) Well he guessed,, Had she been Skiiing? (no) Mountain Climbing (NO) and on and on he went all NO.. I told him he'd never belive the answer,, he insisted he would and continued to guess.. Finally I ask her if I could tell him.. She allowed and I said "Sleeping"

He said "I don't believe it"

Sleeping in a Winnebago.. The driver of the RV was busy going through a GREEN light when the Semi Truck ran the Red and climbed into bed with her.

Now this really does not apply cause had she been seated up front where the Semi missed she'd have been ok....

But then if the semi had hit a second or two earlier she's still be OK and those seated up front... not so good (Dead most likely)

So.. As someone up thread said.. You either accept the risks or not.

Other than warning that some states have more or less restrictive seat belt laws.. I would consider letting a co-driver sleep while I drive or sleeping while a co-driver takes the wheel if it was a long enough trip. +
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 07:21 PM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
I sleep if I am tired, she sleeps if she is tired.
Make sandwichs, use restroom.
No worries.
Don't make me follow your rules, I won't make you follow mine.
TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 10:53 AM   #50
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We overnight at Walmart on our way to FL, I get up and start out about 7:00 am, she sleeps in until about 9:00. Other than that, she might nap in the passenger seat during the day.
Ole and Anne Anderson, Highland, Michigan
'02 Adventurer 32V, Ford F-53, ours since 4/08,Goodyears, Konis, SeeLevel, CHF
'84 CJ-7 , 5.3 Chevy, 3" lift, 33's, Detroit Locker, Fiberglas tub, winch, hi-lift
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 12:22 PM   #51

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I live by following my own rules inside my own vehicle / home. We're adults and we accept the risk I would quit RVing if we couldn't use our RV while going down the road that's a lot of the appeal to the whole thing.
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35k
mojoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 02:05 PM   #52
Winnebago Owners Club
My wife is always nervous when we are heading down the road. She never was this way but lately is very jumpy. Her remedy is to take her book and sit at the dinette and read with her back to the front of our motorhome. She read 3 books on our last 8 day trip. I don't think my driving is bad, and I'm the type that would rather drive than ride anytime. Works for us.....
sask66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 03:09 PM   #53

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I wonder how many allow one or more family members to ride in the pull behind trailer or 5th wheel while in motion....
the trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 09:53 PM   #54
My DW and I have both slept in the bed while the other drove. She's cooked and we've both sat at the dinette or on the couch while the other drove. It's not something we do often because we like to chat, but we don't frown upon it or anything.

We understand the risks and accept them.
Tim, Tara and Canyon - 'TnT' (& C now...)
2015 Thor Outlaw 37LS w/FJ Cruiser Toad
Columbia 400, 1967 Corvette, KTM 350 EXC-f, TTR 125 LE, XR50 for toys
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 12:29 AM   #55
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
My DD would always take a nap in the bedroom over the diesel engine
how I don't know. I also have a carbon monoxide monitor back there. And the cat would curl up in her bed beside it and snooze all the way. Didn't bother them.

Probably not the thing to do but she never got thrown out. She did do
a fast dive up the middle of the motorhome one time when I had to slam on the brakes and she was coming forward. I had my arm out and caught her or she would have hit the tray table out between our seats. I think she
had gone to the bathroom. Luckily she didn't get hurt but it sure scared her and me too. I was trying to do 2 functions at once and thankfully
managed to do both.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 05:28 AM   #56
Monaco Owners Club
We spend the vast majority of our time sitting in two captain chairs up front, seat belts on when the coach is moving. The few times we've had additional passengers on board, they've sat on the couches.

We spend very little time moving around the coach when it's underway - but we don't obsess over the dangers of moving around. An occasional trip to the bathroom or 'fridge is not automatically "out of bounds". If/when we move around the coach - we're selective about when and where we do it. Moving around the coach while driving thru thru towns, in traffic, etc. is different than when we're on a freeway out in the sticks when the traffic is very light.

It 's a calculated risk that we're willing to accept.

2012 HR Endeavor 43' DFT, 2012 Jeep Liberty
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote