Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2012, 04:50 PM   #1

Dying Carpet

Has anyone ever dyed their carpet,if so,how did it turn out and what product did you use? Was it more trouble than it was worth? Thanks for any input.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2012, 04:58 PM   #2

Yes, years ago I dyed the carpet in a small den. It was awful, cannot remember the product, it was spotty and looked very dyed. A lot of trouble. I understand there are companies that do this for a living. If I ever considered it again it would be with someone who knew what they were doing. Good luck.
lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:01 PM   #3
rf4

Winnebago Owners Club
are you looking to dye moho carpet or house carpet? I would think that it would be just as cost effective (for the moho) to have new put in. We found a carpet guy who sold us a remnant piece and had an installer put it in.
rf4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:35 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rf4 View Post
are you looking to dye moho carpet or house carpet? I would think that it would be just as cost effective (for the moho) to have new put in. We found a carpet guy who sold us a remnant piece and had an installer put it in.
Same here. $300 total cost. I did help alittle by holding a wrench on the underside while here used a power ratchet to remove/reinstall the bolts holding the all the furniture down. He even used some nice padding under the carpet.

1) It is a pleasure to walk barefoot upon
2) It is quieter inside while driving.
3) Now the interior of my MH looks like a new unit, although it still has that mids nineties decor

He didn't replace the carpet on the engine 'dog house' or under the bed, as the were like new anyway.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:36 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

We just dyed some spots in ours, with moderately acceptable results. Something, we don't know what, bleached out 4 spots on the rug on one slider, each about 2x4" in size. We found you cannot use regular fabric dyes on carpet - it doesn't take. After some research, we decided on an expensive product called Carpet Dye Sticks

It worked ok, but we had a harder time blending than the promotional video showed. We can still see where the dying was done, but at least visitors no longer instantly see bright yellow spots in our dark brown carpet.

Google 'Dye Carpet' and you will find several do-it-yourself products and articles, and also some pro services.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:18 PM   #6

I attempted to Dye ours by spilling a glass of wine, wherein I needed to make a decision to continue the spill to ensure that the carpet matched or finish drinking the wine. The new wood floor came out nice.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:06 AM   #7

I wanted to jump in here with my experience at dying our 5th wheel carpet. After 10 years our carpet, which was a sort of light sage green had many discolorations due to my carpet cleaning attempts. Don't know if the cleaning solution was too strong but it developed orange spots. Nevertheless I was ready to rip it out or at least try to make it better. So last spring I read up on dying carpet and decided that if it turned out a disaster, then I would rip it out. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. So with that thought in mind I went forward with the dye job. Let me preface this by saying I live in a rural area. There are no carpet cleaners within 50 miles, much less a company that could do a professional dye job or install new carpet.
So I rented a carpet cleaner at the local grocery store and used a mild cleaning solution to thoroughly clean the carpet. I then rinsed the carpet well with a vinegar & water solution. I did that early on a Saturday. I wanted to go somewhat darker in color, just because I thought that would help with covering the orange spots.
On Sunday morning I began the dying process. I had bought 10 boxes each of a dark green and 10 boxes of a maze yellow in Rit dye. Played with the proportions till I got what I thought would be a dark sage green. Mixed with hot water to dissolve and poured into a spray bottle. Got on my hands and knees and worked in small sections spraying and rubbing the spray in good with a stiff brush. Saturated it very well. After going over it completely I used fans to help it dry. It actually dried fairly quickly. But when it dried the carpet fibers felt stiff. So while I still had the carpet cleaner rented I decided to "clean" it once again using just a tad of cleaner. It appeared to be pulling a lot of the dye out but that was not the case. The carpet had taken the dye very well, actually maybe too well. It turned out much darker than I had planned but it turned out to be a good thing. Anyway, after cleaning it then rinsing with a good vinegar and water solution I removed as much moisture as possible, then I sprayed a final solution of water and fabric softener on the carpet hoping that would help soften the carpet fibers. Set the fans to blowing. Kept them on for the better part of a week. The following weekend I took my vacuum to the carpet and vacuumed over and over and over to make sure that all particles were removed. It was a job no doubt but the carpet looked brand new. all that vacuuming I guess pulled up the matted down carpet fibers. We've already made several camping trips since doing this last year and it still looks great. I can't actually believe that it turned out as great as it did. It gave me the incentive to tackle a few more updates. Window coverings for one. I still need to dye the bedroom area but that part doesn't bother me enough yet to do it. Would I do it again? Probably, but I will say that it took my hands, fingers, back and knees a couple of weeks to recover.
deb in al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
Bright yellow spots are the result of a product containing bleach. The counter may have been wiped with that and a few drops got on the carpet. No amount of cleaning will bring the color back. Only a dye will mask the problem. If you have carpet that you want to dye, you will end up with old carpet of a different color. All the dye jobs I've seen, have a "don't look right" result. your mileage may vary
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:42 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

We couldn't get the commonly available Rit to "take" on a synthetic carpet. Research indicated an acid-based dye was need, or a "paint' type that coats the fiber rather than penetrating it and staining. But paint type dyes are stiff.

I suspect there are a lot of cleaning products that contain some sort of bleaching agent, and probably not well documented on the label either. One clue is the ubiquitous warning "Try on a hidden area before using".
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote