RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2019, 08:16 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
E-bikes Get the Green Light in NPS

E bikes just were given approval to be legal in the National Parks.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/inte...ry?id=65293209

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2019, 08:33 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Good info. Thanks for letting us know.

Old 09-02-2019, 09:30 AM   #3

Didn't know they were illegal.. I've seen many folks riding them.
rollondown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 01:56 PM   #4

Note that will only be allowed where bikes are allowed now..... not on all hiking trails.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 02:40 PM   #5

Great for older folks to get around on I would think. I was thinking about them last week when I was at Cabela's until I saw the price tags on the 2 on display. One was about $4,800, The other one was about $5,400. Ouch!
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 02:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadman View Post
Great for older folks to get around on I would think. I was thinking about them last week when I was at Cabela's until I saw the price tags on the 2 on display. One was about $4,800, The other one was about $5,400. Ouch!
Those are the cheap ones lol
These come with free shipping,
Turbo e-bike
Old 09-02-2019, 04:01 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
E-bikes that meet the Federal Guidelines for being classified as a bicycle ( propulsion system speed limited to 20 MPH ) and with pedals are to be allowed in the National Park System, unless there are state and or local area laws that are more restrictive ( which there are not, currently ).

The regulation allows for requiring that people use their propulsion system for assistance only and pedal their bikes as much as practical. Of course this is un-enforcable there are not going to be park rangers trying to check to see if people are pedaling their bikes or just using only their motors.

I think this is a good thing , in particular for us older folks that found that we need a little help to be able to enjoy bicycling. It also is in line with giving those with disabilities access to as much of the non-wilderness areas of the National Park System as possible.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 04:12 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Note that will only be allowed where bikes are allowed now..... not on all hiking trails.
As it should be.
Old 09-02-2019, 05:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post

The regulation allows for requiring that people use their propulsion system for assistance only and pedal their bikes as much as practical. Of course this is un-enforcable there are not going to be park rangers trying to check to see if people are pedaling their bikes or just using only their motors.
Don't be so sure that it won't be enforcable. There are plenty of volunteers and rangers patrolling the trails. Our hiking trails need to be protected.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 05:46 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
E-bikes that meet the Federal Guidelines for being classified as a bicycle ( propulsion system speed limited to 20 MPH ) and with pedals are to be allowed in the National Park System, unless there are state and or local area laws that are more restrictive ( which there are not, currently ).
Patty's will go 28 mph if you pedal hard. We knew the 20mph law but she liked the color better than the 20mph Como. We ride as if it's a 20mph bike when surroundings dictate it. It's not like the 28 mph bikes have a big sticker on them. No one can tell unless she gets clocked going up hill at 28mph.

It is a great grocery getter
Old 09-02-2019, 08:12 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Don't be so sure that it won't be enforcable. There are plenty of volunteers and rangers patrolling the trails. Our hiking trails need to be protected.

As I understand the article, the only bikes approved will be pedelec (type 1) bikes. Which means no throttle. The bike won't move unless torque is applied to the pedals.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:23 AM   #12

A few years ago I was vehemently against any motorized bicycle of any type on a bike path, Then I wrecked my knee.. No more big climbs or century rides for me. I still ride on my own power but I can see the time coming in the not too distance future when I will seriously look at electric assist. The only problem I see coming when the changing trail use regulations is on shared use trails where 20 mph is too fast around pedestrians.
Old 09-03-2019, 01:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadman View Post
CHECK OUT Rad Mini's at Rad Bikes out of Seattle WA. just bought 2 of them 1,400.00 ea. free shipping. there great fun to ride well made. if your looking for an electric bike be sure to check these out.

Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 01:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Patty View Post
As I understand the article, the only bikes approved will be pedelec (type 1) bikes. Which means no throttle. The bike won't move unless torque is applied to the pedals.
As usual, articles are not a great source. Look at the NPS web site for the specific info. Throttle bikes are permitted but there is in my opinion a ridiculously unenforceable caveat.

Tags
electric bikes