Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2013, 08:32 PM   #1

E Zpass

Hellow every one. I have a question a bout E Zpass use. I live in Florida and use a Sun Pass and love it. But we are going on a trip to Maine and would like to get a E Z pass. How can you get one if you are not a resident? It would just be much easer. Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2013, 08:34 PM   #2

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Several, if not most, of the EZPass states permit you to buy them without being a resident. I'm pretty sure they can be bought in some stores in PA.

docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:41 PM   #3

I saw them on the Pa. Turnpike about a month ago for sale in the rest area building.
Larry
'13 Ram Laramie 3500, Aisin auto,4:10, Reese adapter and 20K hitch, '10 HitchHiker 36LKRSB
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:47 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
EZPass does not require that you are a resident of any of the states that issue them. I "live" in South Dakota and I have both EZPass and SunPass.

I heard a rumor that Florida is thinking of joining EZPass. That would simplify travel up and down the east coast.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:00 PM   #5

You can get an EZ Pass, but if you are just making the one trip, do you really want to go to all the trouble.
You have to stop at a EZ Pass store ( go to there website for locations) pay a deposit on an tag, pre-load money onto the tag and if you never plan on using it again you have to go back to a store to get your money back off it

Also, when you put money on the tag, the money is only good in the state you bought the tag in.

The other states that accept EZPass will not recognize your money for 5 to 7 days.

In other words, you can put $20 on the tag in PA and drive across the state but when you get to NY your card will show empty unless you wait a few days

Hope this helps
Old 08-12-2013, 09:09 PM   #6

Of course no one says you can't just get one and keep it forever just n case
Old 08-12-2013, 09:10 PM   #7

Some states also charge a monthly admin fee, MD is one of them. Just something to think about. Jim
Old 08-12-2013, 09:12 PM   #8

I do live in NY but you can call them and order one. You have to get a special one for an RV, you can't order it online. Mine had to be 6 wheels and over 7,000 lbs for my HR Endeavor. It is a wonderful thing to have! Your fares will be cheaper too. I went with a friend who had a Class B from Buffalo to Syracuse. She did not have an EZpass and paid $10.75. With my EZPass, my account statement said $9.25. So I had a bigger vehicle and paid less. The convenience of going thru the EZPass lane (and I'm sure it pis the same for Sunpass) is worth it.

BTW, can I order a Sunpass online? I winter in Sarasota and will be driving my RV down in November. Thanks for the info.
Vette4ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:14 PM   #9
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
If you do the automatic reload, your balanced is updated immediately, AFAIK. I have 16 vehicles operating in 5 states with EZ Pass and never ran into a problem. BTW I just put one of my EZ Passes for my vans on my MH and have had no problems.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:21 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
If you do the automatic reload, your balanced is updated immediately, AFAIK. I have 16 vehicles operating in 5 states with EZ Pass and never ran into a problem. BTW I just put one of my EZ Passes for my vans on my MH and have had no problems.
I have switched my EZ Pass between MH with tow, MH without tow, and tow without MH and I have been correctly billed every time.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:22 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
I use mine out of my home state more than at home . Never a problem with money with the auto update or refill. The vendors that sell the EZPass such as AAA or on the Pa Turnpike only sell the car unit . As someone suggested you may have to order it by phone . Sure saves a lot of aggravation at toll booths
Old 08-12-2013, 09:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
BTW I just put one of my EZ Passes for my vans on my MH and have had no problems.
We also use the same EZPASS from our car just lay it on our dash in the motorhome and never had a problem, been through 3 states with it. You don't need a special one for RV's, if you call they tell you that only so they can charge you the monthly fee for 2 passes. All states have sensors at the toll booths that can read weight, # of axels, & height. We never have a problem, most of the time we tow but sometimes not and always get charged the right amount.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
I have switched my EZ Pass between MH with tow, MH without tow, and tow without MH and I have been correctly billed every time.
X 2 , I used mine while towing from MD to Bar Harbor, Maine. It was charged correct the whole trip. Donīt leave home without it.. Jim
Old 08-12-2013, 09:34 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by phranc View Post
I use mine out of my home state more than at home . Never a problem with money with the auto update or refill. The vendors that sell the EZPass such as AAA or on the Pa Turnpike only sell the car unit . As someone suggested you may have to order it by phone . Sure saves a lot of aggravation at toll booths
I bought mine at a grocery store. Problem is I can't remember which store or which state it was in.