Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2012, 03:12 PM   #1

E350 or E450?

I realize that mpg has been discussed a lot here but can't find a thread that responds to this question directly. I'm going to buy one of two 24' Class Cs next week. Either a 2005 with one slide and a Ford E450 or a 2011 with no slides with an E350. Both are a few thousand dollars apart but with differing but balancing pros and cons. I live in the Northeast so hills aren't going to be a major consideration. I don't have a particularly heavy foot and tend, for mpg purposes, to stay in the 55-60 mph range when traveling distances. All other things being equal, what can I expect for average gas mileage for the 2005/E450 and the 2011/E350? Hope you pros can help. Thanks, Don
BlueGekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2012, 07:05 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I get about 7-8 mpg on my ford e450 with my 30 ft class c itasca but have got as much as 9 or 10. It averages about 7 normally
Old 06-24-2012, 12:02 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
E450.
milasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #4

Recently they have increased the cargo carrying capacity and mileage of this size truck. Check these two against each other. Since there is six years difference in age, the newer 350 might haul as much as the older 450 and get much better mileage.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:10 PM   #5

I wouldn't worry so much about a slight difference in MPG but go with the floorplan that suits you best.
denverhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:27 PM   #6

Thanks to all. Just wanted to make sure there were no power problems with either engine. Don
BlueGekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:38 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
I have the 350.... 1988 with a rebuilt engine installed recently. Took it out this week in Kansas, flint hills... not huge inclines... rolling plains, and all... and found I couldn't keep up my speed going up the inclines around there. I averaged about 8 mpg. I think we got a little better ...maybe up to 10 MPG with the old engine. ( An older gentleman had lovingly cared for it for many years and I am sure tweaked the engine for peak performance...)
If you love the floor plans equally, go with the bigger engine/more horsepower! Gas is gonna get us all anyway sooner or later! Enjoy running free while you can!
Old 06-28-2012, 08:56 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Whether it is an E350 or E450 isn't what will effect mileage. Overall weight and engine technology is all that matters. If they have the same engine the later technology will more than likely provide the better mileage. The E450 with a slide will probably weigh the most, but you didn't mention how they were powered. I would guess there would be no measurable difference in mileage.

Glenn
Old 07-06-2012, 01:00 AM   #9

Current Ford 350 and 450 trucks have the same engine and drive train and only the load capacity changes with the 450's higher weight rated axles. The 450 is likely to be heavier and slower to accelerate and take longer to stop.

With diesel there have been several big changes with ULSD becoming mandatory at all stations in 2010, particulate filters added in 2007, and more biodiesel being sold. All affect the longevity of the engine and the likely maintenance costs. If you stay away from biodiesel the pre-2007 engines are going to provide better mileage but may require more money for repairs.

One thing you did not mention was the miles on each of the engines and the rest of the drive train and engine components. When I saw how expensive the used diesel trucks were priced last fall I ended up spending the additional money to get a new 2011. An full fuel injector repair alone can cost $5,000 for an older truck. I would also expect the 2011 to have all its components, like the water heater, furnace, generator, fridge, pumps, in pristine condition which is not going to be true with a 7 year old RV. The E450 versus E350 would be the last thing I would worry about.
elkhornsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:23 AM   #10

I would agree with hooverbill with the difference in age and capabilities of the new f350. If you look at the new chassis on the 350 vs 450 you are really only picking up a little (1100 lbs) on the rear and the 450 will give you more get up and go at the cost of MPG (different rear).
My guess would be that the new 350 is within a couple hundred pounds of the old 450 and would probably get a couple tenths or a mile per gallon better.
Unless the newer one was abused there is a better overall chance it is in better condition also (less bumps, wear and tear).