Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2017, 12:33 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Earthquake: Rockin' and a Rollin' - Last night

With the new TT, 6 days short of our first month of ownership, we were 'staying cool' boon docking so to speak in our own driveway last night. (it's been near or over 100*F the last week and our only AC).

According to my cell, at 12:28 am I felt a 5.8 magnitude earthquake. Not sure what was going on at first but knew there was a good bit of shaking going on, I reached over and patted DH and asked, "Why are we shaking?" as I looked out that big back window on our Creekside, Outdoor RV, trying to make sense of it all. He said "I don't know" -- in his sleep, and continued sleeping...

I was sure the grizzly momma with two cubs had moved on down our stretch of river, and shouldn't be 'right here' at this point. I wondered if they doubled back, if they had gotten curious and could smell sweet cookies inside... Was it a 70 mph wind gust? (we get those here - often). Maybe it was a crazy friend of mine trying to tip our Creekside on it's side (just jiggling) trying to play a prank on us... You know, like 'cow tipping'.

We shook with some real velocity, I noted we were moving first mostly in a N/S direction, then a bit SW/NE, back to N/S... I wondered if someone had hooked up to us and was going to take us on a little trip! But my view out that big back window said we weren't leaving the driveway...

about 1:00am it started again -- after shocks, of which there were several ! The pup and I once again sitting up in bed at full attention. DH sleeps away unphased... Again I pondered at what was going on... perfectly a half hour apart, earthquakes aren't so punctual are they?? Not any time I've experienced them before... there might just be one less silly friend by daylight... ha ha...

at 1:30 am I was really questioning things as this continued on... I could never hear anyone outside giggling or snickering... couldn't be 'this' friend...

Long story short (not lol), we survived and all is fine.

Montana earthquake: 5.8 magnitude quake strongest in 20 years | Fox News

Anyone else do the rumble/s last night in Montana?

Anyone ever do an earthquake in a TT/MH/Etc before? Share your story.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2017, 12:39 PM   #2

Yes!! We are in an rv park in Deer Lodge. Shook pretty good. Epicenter about 10 miles from the house. Guess I'll learn tomorrow if we had any damage.

AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:59 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Glad you are ok!
What kind of things should we be looking for as far as damage?
We've owned our Creekside just short of a month lol. Open to thoughts.
Again, glad you're ok!
Old 07-06-2017, 01:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSam View Post

Anyone ever do an earthquake in a TT/MH/Etc before? Share your story.

I was driving our car in 1989 near santa cruz ca when the big earthquake hit there. It felt like two very large people were rocking my car side to side yet I was driving 35 mph. Took about 5-8 seconds to figure out what was going on. The stop light ahead of me swinging and the plate glass window in the strip mall to my left breaking helped me figure it out.

lesson learned? keep a half tank of fuel because no power means no getting gas. Also always have a stash of cash. No power means no atm or ways for credit cards to run but a little cash can still purchase some much needed groceries. We were out to get something to eat before shopping cause there was almost no food in the house. 25+ years later i am still mad at kfc who would not sell me some fried chicken 15 min later (cash) even though they knew the power would be out for 24 hours + and the chicken they had sitting there cooked was just gonna go in the dumpster.

Sometime the next day one of the local grocery stores started selling items the had using a calculator and a cash drawer. i had managed to get a few MRE's from work to keep us going till then. It was the only trip we made over the three days after the quake cause we only had enough gas left in the car to make to a gas station.
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:01 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Yep, everything is leaving California.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:18 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your travel trailer should be fine,no worries. Think about it, just pulling it down the typical interstate highway is like experiencing a constant 5.0 earthquake. Seriously.......
Old 07-06-2017, 08:27 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrv View Post

Sometime the next day one of the local grocery stores started selling items the had using a calculator and a cash drawer. i had managed to get a few MRE's from work to keep us going till then. It was the only trip we made over the three days after the quake cause we only had enough gas left in the car to make to a gas station.
I'd be a bit ticked with KFC too. Currently the area I am in is back to 'normal' (Power etc) Lincoln where the epicenter was/is, is running off grid as I hear it. So folks are getting needs met.

I've learned the same from decades in hurricane country -- MRE's, Full tanks, and some cash in the wallet. You just never know.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:29 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
Your travel trailer should be fine,no worries. Think about it, just pulling it down the typical interstate highway is like experiencing a constant 5.0 earthquake. Seriously.......

Wellll don't think I'd agree with that. I forgot to take a FULL bottle of water out of the counter and we drove 60 mi without it budging or spilling a drop. Counter was bone dry! I was amazed.

Last night? Trust me there was no smooth roll.

I do appreciate you thinking there shouldn't be damage.