Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2013, 07:51 PM   #1

ECO Coat Review

Want to discuss my not so good luck with the new Rhino ECO coat system. I have a Damon hornet 5th wheel that I put a lot of work into replacing the complete roof with 3/8" plywood adding and replacing roof trusses. I used fiberglass putty to fill all seams and sanded smooth. I also sanded the edges to a radius to meet the sidewall of the 5th wheel. I called rhino liner number from the internet to ask where my nearest Rhino Liner dealer was to me. I was given the number for the dealer in Bay City Michigan. I called and told him what I was doing and asked for a price and if he could do the Rhino Eco Coat for my RV. The dealer asked how big was the 5th wheel and said he would call me back. I received a call back and was told sure we can do that and this is the price. I informed him that I wanted it done and would call him when I finished all the detail work on the roof. When I finished I called on a Thursday to make an appt. and we made it for first thing the following tuesday, I showed up before they opened and waited. When they arrived
an employee took all my information again and we inspected the RV together. I informed them again of the bare roof and A/C unit removed as they instructed. when the manager/owner got there he told me to leave my RV in the lot he had to move a dump truck and would get it right in. I was told they would have it most of the day. (leads you to believe done the same day) After not getting a call before they closed I called the following day around noon to find out they left my RV out in the rain all day and nite, rain did not start for three to four hours after I left.
I took pictures of the job as it looks sloppy and runny on the sides where they tried to cover up the warpping of the roof and has some pin holes on the edge. I called and sent pictures to Kim in warranty at Rhino Linnings and was told they could not honor the warranty because he is not authorized for ECO Coating and they did not sell it to him. I asked Kim, so you are telling me that is not ECO Coat on my roof. Answer was No I did not say that I said we did not sell it to him so no warranty. They do not stand behind the product and have poor dealers that are not honest. If this is the type of dealers Rhino liner allows to represent the product line and then refuse to correct the issue I do not recommend the product.
Ziebart Rhino Liner of Bay City Michigan is the place to avoid!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2013, 02:54 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
So - What is next?
Small Claims, Lawyers, Letters to Good Sam?

Old 06-01-2013, 08:51 PM   #3

I am reading this a bit different. Rhino is stating that they did NOT sell their product to this company. Therefore they were not an authorized nor Rhino certified dealer. Under that senerio I would not hold Rhino at fault but would go after the installer that falsified his status. It was the installer that left your 5er out side in the rain and did the poor job. Seems to me you shoud be seeking retribution from him not Rhino. O am pretty sure you will need a lawyer and his opinion would be the same. I would want the product tested to see if it is indeed Rhino as well.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The wrinkle here is that Rhino referred the OP to that dealer. Perhaps not knowing that the ECO product was involved, but that referral muddies the water a great deal. Even if the dealer misrepresented his capabilities, he is still an authorized Rhino dealer and thus an agent of Rhino. And a consumer has no way reasonable of knowing that there are shades of difference among Rhino dealers. He asked for a Rhino product and went to a Rhino dealer. Seems simple enough, right?

The lawyers can have a field day sorting that out! However, my guess is that someone more senior at Rhino HQ will soon realize that they need to do the right thing, since anything else is public relations folly anyway.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #5

As I stated I called the number on the Rhino Web Site. I asked for the nearest dealer in my area. I was never asked what product I was interested in. I was given the number to the dealer nearest me. How would anyone know that all Rhino dealers are not allowed to purchase ECO Coat? When I called that dealer and asked can you do an RV roof with Rhino ECO Coat that dealer said yes let me call you back with a price. I know its buyer beware but I thought I asked all the correct questions.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:45 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I think you did too. Plus, the dealer is an agent of the Rhino company, even if he is a franchisee. That means legally you can reasonably expect to rely on his word about the products and services offered at a Rhino outlet. Press Rhino about this and if the phone rep won''t agree, ask to speak to someone higher up. And keep track of the names of people you talk to and what they say.

I looked at the ECO-coat page on the RHino site and it says nothing about specially authorized dealers and the "Find a Retailer" button takes you to the standard Rhino dealer search. Nothing restricts the search to special dealers.

The bad news is that the published warranty statement specifies "Rhino pick-up truck bed linings" only. Probably becasue it was written before the advent of ECO coat, but nonetheless it protects them if they choose to avoid warranty coverage. Did you get any warranty paper with the job?

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote