RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2019, 06:01 PM   #1

Eeek! a mouse!

Have recently discovered mouse activity in our Class A. Have put out a mouse trap but no results as yet. Any suggestions on the best ways to find and catch a (hopefully) mouse or mice. Thanks!

balloonur is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2019, 06:20 PM   #2

All I can say is we use sticky traps and check them often. Once every few days. I put them everywhere I found mouse droppings. Sometimes takes a little while to catch em

Old 09-22-2019, 06:21 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum!!

Here is a link to over 8K previous discussions on mice. https://www.google.com/search?q=%22m...earch=irv2.com

There are also numerous videos on Youtube on tips for dealing with them.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:34 PM   #4

Use a standard snap trap with some peanut butter on the trigger. Works every time.
Ssowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:06 PM   #5

Some mice avoid new things so it may take a few days. Did you place it against a wall? Mice run along the bottom of walls so you want the trap in their pathway. Peanut butter is probably the best "bait" out there.

Sticky boards work well and should be placed along a the bottom of a wall but be aware they can be pretty gruesome because the mouse will be stuck alive on the board and can even tear off skin trying to get use. You can sometimes find a bloody mess.

#1 step to take is the hardest, but the most important, and that is finding and plugging entry points. Time consuming and quite a challenge but without doing it mice will return.

Here's a link to a thread on the subject where I link a few of my previous posts on the subject.

Pesky rodents... HELP!!!
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:53 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

We had a couple of mice and the standard traps baited with cheese worked for us!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 02:01 PM   #7

I'm a proponent of the snap trap baited with peanut butter it seems to work quicker and more effectively than anything else I've tried. I don't mind quickly killing a pest, but to me a sticky trap is torture.

I spent a lot of time in southern Arizona and it seems like in some places I'll get a mouse or two, but in another places down the road that look exactly the same there'll be no mice at all, I've checked the area around my fifth wheel after I've gotten a mouse and I've never found a clue that would tell me that mice are in the area. So when I'm running around Arizona I usually keep a couple trap set under the kitchen cabinets.

Theboondork.com
theboondork. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 02:21 PM   #8

I posted this in another thread,, I use Peppermint oil and oil of garlic in the storage bay , I put drops on diatomacious earth (swimming pool filter media) and place it in a cup, the rodents hate the smell. The smell is not at all obnoxious to humans. Plugging holes is very time consuming and the critters just make another.

CLIFFORD
clifford j is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 02:57 PM   #9

Plug any holes, peanut butter, Nutella, or raisins work best for bait.
Peppermint oil on a cotton ball has been effective for us.
Bait stations are available if your at a site for a few weeks or more.
Old 09-23-2019, 03:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssowers View Post
Use a standard snap trap with some peanut butter on the trigger. Works every time.
A little peanut butter in the center of a sticky trap works too.
Old 09-23-2019, 03:58 PM   #11

Hi everyone; Will double the X2 on the peanut butter on a snap trap. Got our first mouse ever this fourth of July and it creeped out the wife. Went over to Ace Hardware and picked up a couple of traps and had the peanut butter on hand. Set traps along the wall and a few on the kitchen counter tops. At 1:10 A.M. SNAP! My wife said she could hear some little feet on the tile trying to back up and all went quite. Sure enough. Deadly A.M. snack. Seems to work as others here have mentioned.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoGrizz View Post
A little peanut butter in the center of a sticky trap works too.

My experience with sticky paper went as follows:

My mom had a mouse and she set out some sticky mouse trap thing on the counter. I got a call at 2am in the morning with her panicking that she had caught a mouse and it was dragging the sticky trap which was stuck to the side of its head. I could hear it squealing even through the phone. She lived next door so I went over and tried to peel it off which wasn’t happening. I had to finally get the shovel and finish him off. It was not a very pleasant experience for anyone. Especially for the mouse. The snap trap is quick and painless for the animal and much more humane in my opinion.
Ssowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:25 PM   #13

Quote: "Plugging holes is very time consuming and the critters just make another."

While this can be true, people have to understand pest management is just that - management. Think of it like regular vehicle maintenance. In fact I make pest entry point inspection part of my regular maintenance along with lubing and greasing. How effective exclusion methods are vary due to changing pest pressure which is why so many people have different experiences regardless of what method they use.

In the worst of circumstances determined critters can make new holes but the vast majority use opportunity, much like a thief will prefer an unlocked car to a locked one. Locking your car won't stop a determined thief but it will deter most. Not plugging holes is the same as leaving your door unlocked. Also it's important to note that if one mouse has found a hole, he/she has left a scent trail that other can follow right to the entry point even if you trap or kill the first mouse. It's like there's a sign with arrows pointing to the hole for other to follow.

I know not everyone is capable or willing to spend time crawling or rolling around underneath their RV but if you can, it's the biggest step you can take toward managing the problem. Otherwise find someone who can do it for you. Call a pest control company and see what they would charge to inspect and seal what you can't reach. Inspection is the first step the pros use. It should be yours too.

After you exclude (or treat however your chose, you MUST monitor. It doesn't matter how long it been since I've seen evidence of a mouse in my RV, I always keep two traps loaded and placed and check them whenever I visit my motorhome while its in storage. A good time to do it is when you do your monthly generator run. If I find activity, I check the traps more often and search again for any missed entry points. One trap is placed in the interior of the coach and the other in the main storage compartment. I also keep a couple of bait station loaded and placed under the rig. You can judge pest pressure by the amount of bait being consumed. I know people are afraid of using bait because of pets or secondary poisoning of predators. Using bait stations helps protect pets and secondary poisoning is very unlikely with small amounts of bait under a motorhome. Baits are formulated to be toxic based on dose per body weight. What kills a mouse won't kill cat or another predator with a larger body weight that eats the dead or sick mouse. The link below has some information on what is happening to cities that are banning baits due to worries about secondary poisoning - rodent populations are exploding.

If you want to overdose on rodent control information, check out the link below. You'll notice a lot of the information about traps, monitoring and bait, and a conspicuous absence of repellents like ultrasonic devices, drier sheets, peppermint oil, bars of soap, moth balls etc. Try them if you like, but at least monitor and be ready to exclude, trap, bait and monitor. Its what the pros do.

https://www.pctonline.com/keyword/rodents/
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 12:03 AM   #14

Unless you can guarantee killing everyone of them outside , you need to plug up any entry points. Also check inside your exterior fridge access door (vent)