Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2018, 10:02 AM   #1

efficiency and BTU performance of the current AC’s

I have a 1998 Holiday Rambler Endeavor with the 5.7 liter Cummins on a Freightleiner chassis..* We are going to be driving through southern Arizona this July (115-120 degree temps) and I am trying to figure out what to do in order to achieve cabin temps down to 80 degrees, which the 2 rooftop AC's barely do right now in 105 ambient temps.* I have serviced AC's, cleaned coils, filters, made sure no cold air is escaping or mixing with return air, etc.
I have also painted 3-4 coats of Henry’s Solarflex on the aluminum roof (and extending to the fiberglass sides near the top of the roof) to reflect about 90% of the sun’s rays off the roof (that’s what the product says it will do).* I have also put “solar” window film on all the windows to decrease heat gain through the sides.
During our driving through 115-degree Arizona days, I am thinking of running a 110V portable AC (that I bought at Costco but haven’t opened yet) inside the cabin (exhaust pipe to the outside via window) and run that along with the rooftop AC's but I'm not sure my 7.5 KW Onan and my power panels can handle the load.
Is there anything else I can do to improve the efficiency and BTU performance of the current AC’s so that the RV can stay under 80 degrees inside (75 would be better) while the outdoor ambient is 115 degrees?
Other option is to replace the original 13,500 BTU AC's with a pair of high-efficiency, low-profile 15,000 BTU AC's (that pull the same amperage) and that may help take care of my issue (albeit at a much higher cost than the $399 cost of the portable AC I bought)
Finally, I am considering adding more solar panels on the roof, which will lower heat gain and provide more charge to the 4 house batts when we are dry camping.* Has anyone put close to 1000 watts of panels on their RV roof and if so, can you describe your system and wiring?* I have four 6-volt Interstate house batteries in my rig.
daniel_gtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2018, 10:15 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I think the 15K units would be a good long-term investment!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 10:20 AM   #3

Welcome to iRV2.

Your existing roof A/C units combined with the dash A/C' s output may do OK given the coaches movement, verses stationary , baking in the sun.

To aid your current set up , avoid travel in the afternoon , particularly driving south or west.
When in an RV park , get a site so you can face the windshield NE or due East, , to keep the windshield out of the direct sun, and have the awning out when ever possible , to keep the sun off the side of the coach.

When I leave my snowbird site in Parker , temps are sometime in the high 90's and I'll get on the road at 7 AM to cross the Mojave before noon , and get turned north ASAP on my route home.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:56 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Skip gives good advice. More btus is always helpful, but the main problem in any RV is sun-loading on the body and the un-insulated, gaping solar hole called a windshield. Do all you can to shade the rig and to insulate windshield, roof vents, etc. while parked. Extend awning(s) to reduce sun loading on the sides. Add window awnings if you can.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 11:31 AM   #5

Insulate upper cupboards with Reflectix...I also painted the outside of the bathroom skylight with white Krylon Fusion paint....lets plenty of light in, but sure keeps the heat out...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 11:50 AM   #6

The 7.5 generator will give you 62 amps, or 31 amps per 120 volt leg.

You should be able to easily run the 3 ACs.

One leg is going to have 1 AC and the water heater on it. Plug the portable into the leg with only the other AC and low amp things.

If you can find a good deal on less effecent 15000 BTU ACs, the generator should handle them as well.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 01:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_gtall View Post
... Has anyone put close to 1000 watts of panels on their RV roof and if so, can you describe your system and wiring?*
Pretty much the same thing you do for winterizing....insulate, insulate, insulate.

Check out the "Going Green" forum below for information on different solar options. I wouldnt invest in solar to try to run your ACs.

We added plexiglass to each fixed portion of every window, which are already dual pane insulated windows. Now they are tripl"ish" pane.

This is what 1k panels looks like, barely covered 1/2 our roof. Not setup to run ACs. Altough, I did just order a micro air easy start for our 15k unit. Should have it installed next week.

If you have the flexibilty of time, like we do, we stay out of hot areas try to move to higher, cooler ground. Even in AZ, you can travel through coconino NF and its probably 20 degrees cooler.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170204_124234.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	347.0 KB
ID:	204911
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 04:45 PM   #8

check out the new Atwood ac's.. they draw way less amp on start and running. and also the quietest on the market///check it out...probably only need to replace the front unit..
Old 05-30-2018, 06:40 PM   #9

Welcome to the forum.