Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2018, 06:13 PM   #57

My wife and have a pair of Trek Verve+ ebikes. Very impressed! There are very few flat roads here in the Pacific NW and the ebikes essentially flatten out the hills that otherwise would be insurmountable for my wife. You still get a workout.

They have a 250W mid drive motor and 4 assist levels. No throttle - you must pedal but the motor senses the amount of torque you are exerting and bases the assistance on this; the harder you pedal the more assistance you get. It rides just like a normal bike with a tail wind.

The Trek Verve+ is 43 lbs which makes it manageable to lift into the bed of our pickup. I use a set of fork mounts on a board and cover them when it rains.

I feel it is a perfect compliment to camping as it allows us to easily explore the local areas - can even fetch groceries (have a set of saddlebags). Highly recommended!
John Pattee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2018, 06:26 PM   #58

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Gas bicycle

I have a gas bicycle:
Pros
- They are cheaper than electric and have more power and go faster than most electric bikes. They have a larger range of course (80 MPGs). Also, you don't have to recharge them.
Cons
-Most states label them mopeds and they usually require registration and a moped license. They can't go as many places as electric bicycles. They are not as simple and require more maintenance than electric. Heavier than electric bikes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_2909.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	300.0 KB
ID:	227541  
Tyler6357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 06:28 PM   #59

I have 2 electric bikes, I got the fat tire ones that fold. We love them as you can go almost anywhere with them.
The fat tires allow you to go in sand, off the beaten path, and of course with the power button over some big hills.
Get them you'll never regret it.
neilbcca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 07:43 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
There are places that technically do not allow them. Like here in Chula Vista there is a bike path that goes to Coronado. There are signs posted that say “no motorized bicycles”. I see electric bikes on it all the time. i don’t think you will have any problems.
Legally an eBike isn't considered a motorized bike.
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:23 PM   #61

I have a Pedego Trail Tracker and love it. The Fat Tires provide a little more cushion over the bumps and better traction when off road, it was designed to be water resistant. It is fairly heavy to lift into the Bike Rack, but I just lift it one tire at a time with no problem. I have been told that when transporting an Electric Bike, the tires/wheels need to be supported, so no "hanging" type of Bike Rack. When I pull my Jeep Wrangler along behind the Motorhome, I just slide the carrier into the 2" Hitch and off we go exploring. I am a large guy so I wanted a heavy duty bike, many of the bikes I found would not support my weight, the Pedego would, so it was worth the extra $$ to me. I live in the mountains, so the roads I ride on are very steep, my 750 watt motor and low gear will get me almost anywhere I want to go. I take my bike almost everywhere I go, Yellowstone, the Beach, Death Valley, Reno, State Parks, Federal Campgrounds, Beaches, etc. I have never been questioned on if it was allowed. JH

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mXi8izrG7VQLVjT59
micpib1354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:36 PM   #62

Alpine Owners Club
Patty and I bought Specialized from a Specialized Elite shop. We chose Specialized for their network of dealers. The owner is a biking enthusiast and also rides a Specialized electric. He tells me that attitudes regarding ebikes are changing fast.
We bought a Vado 3 for Patty, (my bionic lady with two new hips) and I bought a Turbo Levo 6 fattie hard tail. These are powered by a Brose motor that has no parasitic drag when exceeding the governed speed, unlike the Bosch. Both are very good motors.
Both bikes have to be pedaled with some effort to ride. No throttle. My Levo’s assist settings can be adjusted by my smart phone. 3 levels of power from as low as 0% to 100% assist. We rode all over Niagara Falls Star Park and also the Canadian side with no problems. Even though NY state doesn’t recognize ebikes as being legal.
For those that think it is cheating, I dare them to come ride with me. I can put in as much effort as a regular cyclist, or I can sit down on the seat climb a steep hill and enjoy the scenery at the same time.
We haul ours on a Kuat rack. Very sturdy and designed to carry heavy bikes.
Buy ebikes. You will have fun get exercise and negate any wind and hills if you so desire. Or, you can pedal a 50 pound bike and get tree trunks for legs��
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2195C5B9-271D-47F8-9FAC-B05B1AEF7C0A.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	568.6 KB
ID:	227565   Click image for larger version

Name:	3B75EDD5-B363-4CC3-BE88-47233F3541C8.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	498.2 KB
ID:	227566  

Tom and Patty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:52 PM   #63

Most parks that are associated with National Parks, forests or recreation area like this path in the Santa Monica Mountains do not allow E-Bikes. This happens to be in a state park but it's also within a Nation recreation area.

Old 11-29-2018, 11:05 PM   #64

Alpine Owners Club
Time will iron this out. Our bikes have no more impact when ridden like a regular bike. In fact, they my have less because they have fatter tires.
Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Most parks that are associated with National Parks, forests or recreation area like this path in the Santa Monica Mountains do not allow E-Bikes. This happens to be in a state park but it's also within a Nation recreation area.

Tom and Patty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 06:22 AM   #65

Ebikes, YES

We have two 750 "Vee Go" electric bikes and love them. They are "Fat Bikes" with wide knobby tires that work great on or off the road. We carry the on a super duty 1up bike rack.
Hitthe road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 08:09 AM   #66

Pretty sad when so many people are so out of shape they need electric bicycles.
2 Piece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 08:41 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark N. View Post
Legally an eBike isn't considered a motorized bike.

Yeah, I have figured that out. I really didn’t know much about ebikes and classifications. I ride a lot, but no assistance needed.

I do think they are cool and see a good market for them. Especially for quick trips to the store and such without having to drive the car. Also I would think they would be great for commuting without breaking a sweat. Also, I average usually 20mph on the flats, so an ebike would be a way for my wife to come along on a ride with me.

Having just returned from China, ebikes are all over the place and have been since I started going there. I much prefer them on the streets than the noisy and smelly scooters. We went to Rome a few years back. OMG. Hard to enjoy walking around with all the buzzing from the scooters. Like Harleys on helium.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 08:45 AM   #68

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Piece View Post
What an insensitive statement. Ebikes are a way to get some people with many different medical, physical reasons on a bike out and about enjoying life to the fullest who otherwise would not be able to on a 20 speed road bike. Careful with assumptions.

Personally I absolutely love my RAD Rover.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:50 AM   #69

Winnebago Owners Club
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
The problem with e-bikes is there are two types. 1 is full elfectric, the other is peddle assist which is more bike wise but assist the operator. I been told if your pedaling your OK its the folks that just sit and go 28 mph.
Curiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 10:19 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Piece View Post
Not everybody rides a bike (of any kind) to stay in shape. For some of us it's a mode of transportation. Do you drive a car or an RV to stay in shape or because you're out of shape?

Tags
electric