RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2018, 08:31 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Electric Bike or not?

I want to get a bike to ride around camp sites and towns as I travel. Any recommendation on using a Bicycle? I am leaning on getting an electric assist type since my legs are not what they use to be.

Any restrictions on using one. Can you ride them on trails at parks and stuff.

NSA Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar
Curiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2018, 08:37 AM   #2

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Ride wherever a regular bicycle can go as ear as I have expirianced.
I bought mine so I an keep up with my wife.
Happy Glamping.

2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:42 AM   #3

There are places that technically do not allow them. Like here in Chula Vista there is a bike path that goes to Coronado. There are signs posted that say “no motorized bicycles”. I see electric bikes on it all the time. i don’t think you will have any problems.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:50 AM   #4

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
I just got an email with the latest post from "Rv Life" Google it. Read the article about ebike, and decide for yourself.
Happy Glamping.
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 09:05 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
It is a very appealing thought. I have considered an E-bike but so far haven't pulled the trigger for two reasons:

1. I want the exercise that a regular bike provides. Knowing myself, I tend to take the easy way out and I'd likely not exercise as much on an E-bike.

2. Since I have had a lifetime of back problems, I am afraid that the extra weight would create new back problems for me. Loading or unloading E-bike on the back of my rig would require lifting twice the weight.

I looked around for a bike rack that has a ramp that I could roll the bike onto the rack, but haven't found one that would fit on the back of my coach and still allow towing a car. (Don't want to carry bikes on the back of the toad.)
Old 11-21-2018, 09:11 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Electric Bike or not?

We have ebikes and love them. No problem riding anywhere yet. There are some trails marked specifically not allowed but mostly we just use them like bikes. We have foldable versions and store them in back of Jeep while traveling. And packed two of them in a storage compartment for the winter.
Ours have 9 levels of assist, from no help to just a little. This helps level out about any hill.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5145.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	339.3 KB
ID:	226731
Old 11-21-2018, 09:13 AM   #7

Last year at Death Valley we talked with someone who was riding an electric bike extensively. He had toured many National and state parks on it. I think he had a 70 mile range and used the electric power for those long grades. We were all impressed with its capabilities.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 09:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curiosity View Post
I am leaning on getting an electric assist type since my legs are not what they use to be.
What brands are you considering?
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 09:19 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
You won't have any hassles using an electric bike that is equal or less than the US Government definition below. These are considered a bicycle in all states and don't require any licensing or registration.

They can use bike paths that say "no motorized vehicles" without any issues.

Electric bicycles are exempt from classification as motor vehicles providing they have fully operable pedals, an electric motor of less than 750W (1 hp), and a top motor-powered speed of less than 20 miles per hour (32 km/h) when operated by a rider weighing 170 pounds.

One thing about electric bikes is the weight, typically well above 50 pounds, even with the battery removed. If you are alone you may find it is too heavy to handle by yourself.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 09:33 AM   #10

My wife and i have been using them for past several years in state parks and other places have never had a problem
stew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 09:47 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Get one, they are a blast, wife and I love ours, enjoy!
Old 11-21-2018, 10:08 AM   #12

I saw that GM is introducing a e-bike. I am surprised that Tesla has not.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:13 AM   #13

You may find this rather long thread about electric bicycles interesting:
Toad? I don't need no steenking towed! (vehicle) - Beginning RVing - Escapees Discussion Forum
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy Read more at: John_F_Kennedy_1961
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 01:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
You won't have any hassles using an electric bike that is equal or less than the US Government definition below. These are considered a bicycle in all states and don't require any licensing or registration.

They can use bike paths that say "no motorized vehicles" without any issues.

Electric bicycles are exempt from classification as motor vehicles providing they have fully operable pedals, an electric motor of less than 750W (1 hp), and a top motor-powered speed of less than 20 miles per hour (32 km/h) when operated by a rider weighing 170 pounds.

One thing about electric bikes is the weight, typically well above 50 pounds, even with the battery removed. If you are alone you may find it is too heavy to handle by yourself.
Do you have an official source for your information? I'd like to print it out and carry it with me. I've been hassled before because I was riding an electric bike on some bike trails.

hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric