Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2014, 10:02 AM   #1

Electric cost

We have a 40' motorhome and are considering spending the summer in Maine. Some of the campgrounds charge for electricity.
Just wondering what we should budget for electric cost. Just a ballpark estimate from some who have done this
Thanks
Jim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2014, 10:12 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I stay at a park in N.California and my cost for Oct. was $146.00. It was quite warm so used my air con. Will find my cost for Nov. on the first. Have only been here a short time so can't give you much more than this...Happy travels and Thanksgiving.

Don G.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:17 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
Call'em up and ask. I'm sure that can give you an estimate.
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:30 AM   #4

A million varibles there: Temps and use of AC, Hot water on Gas or electric, type of cooking, gas range or Convection/microwave, and not to be forgotten cost per kilowatt hour.
We average $80 to $90 per month for the winter in south central Florida and that's with next to no usage of the ACs.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LT Ext Cab 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, GY 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:43 AM   #5

I'm a newbie who hasn't started RV'ing yet, so forgive this very elementary question...I thought our hookup fees at these RV parks covers all these expenses...electricity useage, water and sewerage. did I miss the memo????
22 years Navy...Retired. 20 years Law Enforcement...retired. Navy showed me Viet Nam and police work showed me society's worst. Hopefully this 2015 Winnebago View 24m will show me a level of relaxation I've only dreamed of.
Donut lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:46 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut lover View Post
I'm a newbie who hasn't started RV'ing yet, so forgive this very elementary question...I thought our hookup fees at these RV parks covers all these expenses...electricity useage, water and sewerage. did I miss the memo????
They do cover those if you are overnighting a few days, If you stay on a monthly basis they charge you for the electricity you use.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut lover View Post
Short stays, the costs are covered in your fees. Long term stays get a discounted rate ( usually) and then get charged for their usage.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by camato5 View Post
They do cover those if you are overnighting a few days, If you stay on a monthly basis they charge you for the electricity you use.
Ohhhhhh, ok, thanks!
22 years Navy...Retired. 20 years Law Enforcement...retired. Navy showed me Viet Nam and police work showed me society's worst. Hopefully this 2015 Winnebago View 24m will show me a level of relaxation I've only dreamed of.
Donut lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 06:02 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Long term rates may be all-inclusive or have separate charges for electric and maybe other utilities as well. Parks differ, and a park may even offer multiple plans to choose from.

Electric costs in Maine depend heavily on the whether and your personal comfort needs. This past summer in Maine was very temperate and we used our a/c or heat rarely. The previous summer in the same park saw us using the a/c heavily in July & August, so much higher power usage. I would guess anywhere from $70-$125 per month in July & August. Maybe September too, if you use electric for heat. It gets cold quickly after Labor Day.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 06:14 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Staying in Texas for 2 months our electric in cold and Hot weather ran $75 to $125 a month at 12 cents per KWH
Old 11-27-2014, 11:42 AM   #11

We own lots in Apple Valley Farm RV Resort IN Lake Lure NC. Electric was $404 for 5 months.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:07 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I hit around $60/mo in FL in November, March and April. We don't run the air all of the time, only when it is above 80 in the rig and open windows and two exhaust fans won't keep up. But we use electric for the water heater, can't stand the noisy gas heater running.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:57 AM   #13

A campground that owns and reads the meters will charge whatever they want per KWH.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:24 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
A campground that owns and reads the meters will charge whatever they want per KWH.
It depends on what State and City you are in. Several States and cities will not allow parks to charge more than what the utilities or city charge for electric, water or sewer.
Mel