Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-26-2014, 09:53 PM   #15
Winnebago Owners Club
Definitely connect to the outside post!!!!!

Just make sure your extension cord is sufficiently made for that level of current.

1999 Winnie Adventurer 37.5' (we call it a 38' for short) with a Ford Triton V10
2009 Yorkie named Teddy
2010 Ausi named Bear
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2014, 10:42 PM   #16

Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post
Definitely connect to the outside post!!!!!

Just make sure your extension cord is sufficiently made for that level of current.
Out of curiosity I ask why to "definitely connect to the outside post"?

Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 11:30 PM   #17
X2 Why connect to the outside post?
army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:23 AM   #18
Smile Heaters

This is the heater we use:

Oil Filled Tower Electric Space Heater with Thermostat at Lowes.com

I can recommend it highly.

Silent, constant heat (no blower on/off), no exposed heating coils so I don't worry about paper or a blanket touching the heater and igniting, no blower drying out the air/raising dust.

I do notice that some heaters exhibit red hot surfaces. I would worry about that in the confined space we have. I guess some people use catalytic heaters, but I would worry about any combustion using up the oxygen/creating carbon monoxide.

Somewhat bulky, slower to heat, heavy, needs shore power (any electric heater of course does because of the amount of energy they use would shortly drain a battery and you would need a large genset to supply requirements).

We carry it in the car because of the smoother ride. Our unit has logged several thousand miles with no problems
Charter member of the Buffalo Plaid Brigade
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:20 AM   #19
This 5th wheel I have now is actually the first camper I ever owned that the furnace actually works. Ive been using electric heaters for years with no problem. Lately ive been using one of them litttle ceramic heaters. Sometimes I run a separate cord to the post. Sometimes I don't. I always run it on low.
A really good way to take the chill off in the morning is to fry some eggs and bacon. The stove as you know really heats things up.
93 Jayco RK 325
07 Chevy classic crew cab long box LBZ Duramax
Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:55 AM   #20
You run a Bbtcord to the outside post so your 30 amp power cord can run the coach.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:01 AM   #21
Winnebago Owners Club
When we had our TT with 30amp service I always ran a heavy cord out to the post to run the elect. heater on, this way IO didn't have to watch so closely what was on in the TT. I liked having a dedicated service just for the heater so I could run it when I wanted/needed to. With our current MH we have heat pumps on the AC units so no need for space heater until we go full time and then I might set 1 up in the basement.
2012 Journey 40U (Our Incredible Journey)
2008 Dodge Dakota
2004 Subaru Baja
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:15 AM   #22
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
To those that use electric heaters, do you run a separate extension cord in from the post or do you plug into an outlet inside the coach? What size heater do you use?

Short answer is yes. here is the long answer

If I'm on a 30 amp site I have one outlet in the RV, also the rear Air Conditioner, that can be "Divorced" electrically from the rest of the Motor home and using a 12ga extension cord connected to the park 20 amp outlet,, NOTE 12 ga.

I also have a 2nd installed 12 GA extension cord for when it gets REAL cold. And yes, I've used both, once or twice.

(The 2nd cord actually came first and I just left it in place when I finished the break out system).

In this RV,, when using electric heat and the rig's factory wiring, One of the outlets gave me an aroma (hot insulation) that I found disturbing.. Others did not, but the result is I hae two 15/20 amp outlets, both hooked to their very own exclusive breakers, both hooked up with 12ga wire properly bent around a screw and tightened (no punch down or stab connections) that run heaters (I actually have 3 such outlets the 3rd being described above)

Keeps house nice and warm without worry about overloaded wires.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:40 AM   #23
If we have a separate circuit for a 12 ga extension cord, I don't know about it so I think I'd have to run a cord in through a window. I'd have to stuff the crack in the window with a towel but that would be better than using propane!

Our propane is on empty now. We filled it at the beginning of the season 2 years ago and used it for the furnace several times in the mornings and a few times all night. The fridge is on propane when we're on the road & sometimes runs for a day or so at home before we get the motorhome in her garage and back on electric.

wa8yxm> did you install the plugs yourself?
Karen & Gary
Glamping is not for the faint of heart!
with furkids Gypsy & Cody &
traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:59 AM   #24
Answer to the OP, well sometimes I use a seperate plug for an electric heater. Like wa8yxm, I ran a seperate fused distribution system inside my coach where I have 12ga wires connected to 2 inside outlets and can plug the 12ga power cord into a seperate 20A receptical plus my regular 30A service cord. I have a heat strip in my AC and run it sometimes along with a ceramic forced air 700w thermostatically controlled portable heater. It is safe. Tip over protection and a screen over the front to prevent any fire. I put a single sheet of paper right in fron of the heater to see if it would ignite. It did not. I then threw a blanket over the heater, with the temp set @70, it soon got hot under the blanket and shut down right away.

I don't always plug the supplementary external power cord in but am aware of current drain limitations for each circumstance. For example, with microwave, electric kettle, toaster, electric fry pan, HW heater etc all available with only 30A service, one must use appropriate power management techniques or expect to pop fuses/breakers.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:12 AM   #25
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If I'm running the ceramic heater I just don't run the microwave or any other large electrical draws without turning off the heater first. No need for a second cord.
2006 Fleetwood Tioga 26Q
Toads: '15 Ford Focus, '10 Harley Softail Custom and '15 Harley Softail Deluxe
Upstate (the other) New York
Old Radios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:15 AM   #26
Smile Electric Heater

Here is a picture of the heater we use because I notice the link (Post 18) has gone bad:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Feature Comfort.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	70856

We seldom use it at full power. Usually we only use setting 1 or 2. We plug it into our outlet in the trailer since the trailer is rated at 20A.
Charter member of the Buffalo Plaid Brigade
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 03:23 AM   #27
Any recommendations for heater fan combo?
Disneyfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:52 AM   #28
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I hear from time to time that one or another heater is somehow better than others.. This is what I know.

Electric heaters are dang near unique in that they are 100% efficient, does not matter if radiant, Oil filled, Quartz, Ceramic or ____, they are 100% efficient and all give exactly the same number of BTU's per watt.

How can I say this? Simple. in an electrical system, all losses become heat.. and in this case heat is the desired product, so there is no loss possible.. Oh, folks talk about the fan or light.. The friction of the air molecules produces heat, as does the light when it hits something. So again it is all heat.

NOW the downside:

Those RV outlets may not be up to a space heater.. one of mine failed under 1500 watt load (Aroma of overheated wire) I installed some heavy duty (15/20 amp) outlets.. Standard duplex outlets, but with a "T" shaped neutral slot, and 12ga wire bent around a screw, not a punch down connection. They each have a breaker all to themselves.. No problems since.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote