Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-03-2012, 01:17 PM   #15
We have a couple of Lasko ceramic 1500w heaters from Lowe's. They swing in an approximate 60 degree arc and have a thermostat. While they have not been used for extreme cold temps, we seldom use anything more then the 900w setting. At the 40* temp outside range, they will warm the main living area to a toasty 66-70 degrees fairly quickly.

Dave W along with my DW, Susan and our poodlepups, Callie & Molly,2011 Ford F250 6.7 CCLB, 5er Hitch Option w/B&W Hitch,,Ride Rite air bags, 2014 Montana High Country 343RL (38')
IC2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We use up to 3 ceramic heaters as needed.

The model we use is the Dayton 1VNW9. It has 3 heat settings as well as an adjustable thermostat. More importantly it has a knock over cut off switch mounted in the bottom as well as internal overheat protection. Our cats tested out the knock over safety one night when they knocked the heater over- they were a couple of cold cats in the morning.

As far as power usage is concerned, I tested 2 of our heaters for this post.

Here is their power usage (ave of the two): Fan only= 21 watts, .24 amps; low heat= 530w, 4.4a; medium= 705w, 6.15a; high= 1041w, 9.3a. A note about these numbers- when they were new, I seem to remember the power usage numbers being a little higher. Something in the area of Low= 590w, medium= 950w, and high= 1250w. But I did not write the numbers down.

In our motorhome we run one heater in the living area on low or medium heat and one in the bathroom/bedroom area on low. We very rarely run the heaters on high heat. Actually, now that I think about it, we run them on low or medium heat only. If two heaters on medium are not doing the job we break out the third heater and run it on medium also. When we run the third heater it is in the living area. We have run these in temperatures as low as 28* and have been warm inside. If the temperature drops to 32* or lower and stays there, we turn on the furnace and have the heaters and furnace share the heating. This is mainly to keep some heat in the basement. However, I will say that during two nights of 28-29* my basement digital thermometer recorded 42* in the water bay. That was without running the furnace.

These units have worked out great for us. We have cut our propane use by something more than 80% since we started using the ceramic heaters.

'05 Dutch Star 4015, '16 Rubicon OlllllO, & HD Ultra ElectraGlide, NKK14278L
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:58 PM   #17

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
There are a number of different models of the Pelonis Ceramic Disk "Cube". I like the 1500W-II. Like other heaters it has a thermostat, but the advantage is that it has both an automatic & manual mode. When set to manual the wattage can be varied from as low as 350W to as high as 1500W with the same dial that sets the temperature when on automatic. The fan speed varies with the wattage so if set low, it is very quiet. Very handy if you are on a site with limited power.

When set on automatic, as the thermostat reaches its setting both the wattage & fan speed drops, so it gets very quiet, and only speeds up again if the outside temperature drops a great deal. Even at full power it is much quieter than the furnace. It also has a setting for fan only.

I don't know if they still make this model or anything similar to it - mine is dated 10/89...
vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #18
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

Here is another helpful thread on heaters.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:21 PM   #19
We use this system:

Holmes convection baseboard style heater in the galley (middle of the MH).

No fan, no noise, adjustable heat ranges with thermostatic control. Runs cooler on the outside than oil filled types, so no burns possible. Very lightweight. Larger than many small heaters, but smaller than oil filled.

This goes on when we go to bed. It keeps the MH from getting too cold, but allows the bedroom to stay cool - which we prefer. I set the LP heat thermostat at 52 degrees as a backup, in case the electric doesn't keep up.

In the AM I get up and turn this unit off, raise the LP thermostat to 70 degrees, and place a fan powered 1500 watt ceramic heater in front of the open shower door. Turn on the water heater - both AC and LP. Go back to bed for 15 minutes. By then the whole coach is warm, especially the shower enclosure.
2008 Itasca Meridian 37H & 2015 Flagstaff T12RBST
2011 & 2012 Len & Pat's "One lap of America"
27K miles & 41 states in 13 months - Woo Woo
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:13 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As noted, 1500 Watts is 1500 Watts which related to about 5300 BTUH. So pick a style and size heater that fits your lifestyle.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #21
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The best one have found is a little $15 GE from Wal-Mart. It is very small and convenient. We have a Voranado that we picked up in West Yellowstone a couple of years but we actually like the GE better. Over the years we have worn out several Lasko ceramic towers. We use them mostly at home and once in awhile in the coach.
Travel well, travel safe,
2006 Tiffin Phaeton - 2011 Cadillac SRX
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:34 PM   #22
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland
We use a couple cheapo electric heaters from Walmart. They work fine and last a long time. 1,500 watts is 1,500 watts.

I haven't heard of banning electric heaters. Could you enlighten me a bit more on that subject?
I'm using the iPad app so I'm not sure how to provide you the link but if you search Prohibiting Electric Heaters I'm sure you'll find it.
KBolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:21 AM   #23
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by KBolin View Post
I'm using the iPad app so I'm not sure how to provide you the link but if you search Prohibiting Electric Heaters I'm sure you'll find it.
OK found the threads.

We haven't run into any of these parks yet, however we are staying at Elk's Lodges most of the time now. $20 a night and use all the power you want plus locations all over the United States.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:48 AM   #24
Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We use what used to be called a milk house heater. Ugly gray and black box with a couple of heat settings up to 1500 watts and a useless fan only setting. This is only on while we can see it. We never camp anywhere that gets below freezing so it is only to take the chill off. While in route to warm from cold places the on board gas furnace does the job to get it warm then we might use the little one to keep it there.

Space heaters are not designed to be used as your only heat source in cold climates and you may risk a fire if you are not careful so please use caution.
Mark & Nancy
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Shep dog, R.I.P. Kenzie dog Toad 2015 Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler
HD4Mark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:20 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
We have two of these World Marketing Of America Inc - Oscillating Ceramic Heater - Portable Heaters - Camping World heaters. They have a high and low setting. They have performed as advertised for the last 4 years. I would purchase the same product again.
Have been using the Pelonis heaters, when plugged in to shore power, for years in all four of the RV's, and and three different stick houses for both primary and supplemental heat. Have found better prices on them in general at Ace Hardware, True Value and on rare occation at Wal-Mart.
Stan, Shirley & 2 Schnauzers (Sandy & Sassy)
RV: 2014 Itasca Sunstar 35F
USAF, Retired, Life Member: VSPA, DVA, VVA, VFW
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:32 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
We Use an Oil-Filled Unit by Honeywell

Originally Posted by KBolin View Post
I've read the Prohibiting electric heaters and started wondering what types, makes, models of electric heaters people are using?
We got a Honeywell on-site while trying our first winter camping experience after buying our first RV December a year ago.

It really helps curb the chill and is silent. DW often rolls it to beside the sofa when she is watching TV, on the iPad or reading at night.

I just checked: at the low setting, it consumes 4-5 amps, about 8 at the medium level and 12 when the highest intensity is selected. Inside each of those settings, a numerical temp can be set.

It can be laid on its side; but, I drape a sweater over the top and bungee it upright to a shelf in the closet, underway.

Our MH is in an unheated garage/hangar in Texas, I leave it on the lowest setting anytime the temp is less than 50F, to dry the interior of the coach and keep a nominal level of heating. If there is a freeze forecast, we dial it up for the night.

Any supplemental interior heater may have the effect of diminishing basement heat, in sub-freezing conditions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Honeywell Heater.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	422.9 KB
ID:	16812  
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:57 AM   #27
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Originally Posted by CorLynn View Post
I use 2 ceramic heaters by Lasko.
Same here.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:00 AM   #28
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We have an electric fireplace that we use for heat as much as possible. Usually we only turn on the gas furnace first thing in the morning to get the temp up to the desired level. We bought a very small ( 200 watt ) electric heater that we put in the storage area under the RV when the temps are going to be much below freezing. The 5er has a closed underbelly with heated holding tanks. This has saved us a ton of money on propane!

Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote